Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc76 View Post
5v, I don't remember seeing a voltage switching option in blheli, but I think it's been added, may check with Steffen.
O.K. Thanks man!! What's Steffan's HF user name? I've forgotten, something like SSkaug I think it was?

So far, here in the UK we still have still to see the Talon 25 hit out shores, never mind the Talon 15. Still, it sure will be the way to go, when it finally arrives here.

Cheers!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by helimaddness View Post
I had all sorts of tail problems in the beginning so hear where you are coming from. In the end the final fix was changing from 3GX to Kbar.
Have swapped the cyclics out so around the 340g mark so a lot better but still ways to go. Have got one of those light weight servos coming so will do some flights as is then try swapping to it and see the difference. If the tail is a problem can always go back.

Want to try and undo some of the tail mods to work out how much of it was caused by the 3GX crap gyros. Was going to try going back to the bigger tail blades as well.

Where so the light weight canopy's come from ? I was thinking of having a go at plastic molding one. Looking on youtube vacuum molding is not impossible.
Here's where I got my plus canopy. Someone has quoted the weight as 6 grams lighter than the stock fiberglass one. About the servo, I can't justify a 21 gram servo on this thing any longer The ds95i is a great servo and was a quick fix, but the ds76t is holding it well. One thing the 450x and 300x don't have are tail wag or tbo problems, none whatsoever. The only questionable thing is the reliability, I will risk it due to the low crash costs of the 250. The ds95i has found a much more suitable home on the tail of my X2. And my search continues for a 8 to 9 gram high quality tail servo to replace the ds76t, I'm in no hurry whatsoever.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ellow-Blue-Red
Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle Boy View Post
O.K. Thanks man!! What's Steffan's HF user name? I've forgotten, something like SSkaug I think it was?

So far, here in the UK we still have still to see the Talon 25 hit out shores, never mind the Talon 15. Still, it sure will be the way to go, when it finally arrives here.

Cheers!!
Yup that's it, sometimes takes him a while to respond but he will, or you can search the big thread in mcpx brushless mods forum.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hears where I got my plus canopy. Someone has quoted the weight as 6 grams lighter than the stock fiberglass one. About the servo, I can't justify a 21 gram servo on this thing any longer The ds95i is a great servo and was a quick fix, but the ds76t is holding it well. One thing the 450x and 300x don't have are tail wag or tbo problems, none whatsoever. The only questionable thing is the reliability, I will risk it due to the low crash costs of the 250. The ds95i has found a much more suitable home on the tail of my X2. And my search continues for a 8 to 9 gram high quality tail servo to replace the ds76t, I'm in no hurry whatsoever.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ellow-Blue-Red
Man this thing has turned into a money pit. Started out as a cheap clone copterx to take traveling as easier than my bigger helis. Is now 95% align and has had so much gear replaced to get it flying half decent I reckon its cost as much as my 500.
Problem is this damm hobby is so addictive and now Its starting to fly ok and I know it can get better so have to keep going with it. That talon is another 9g saving for me and the canopy is 25g screaming to be on a diet.
The thing is nose heavy at the moment so Talon ESC will fix that also.
Just add more money and should fix everything.
helimaddness is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helimaddness View Post
Man this thing has turned into a money pit. Started out as a cheap clone copterx to take traveling as easier than my bigger helis. Is now 95% align and has had so much gear replaced to get it flying half decent I reckon its cost as much as my 500.
Problem is this damm hobby is so addictive and now Its starting to fly ok and I know it can get better so have to keep going with it. That talon is another 9g saving for me and the canopy is 25g screaming to be on a diet.
The thing is nose heavy at the moment so Talon ESC will fix that also.
Just add more money and should fix everything.
I find it amusing that I am "downgrading" my $500 250 pro dfc/ beastx super combo with cheaper components to improve performance. I'm spending money on down grades, nuts huh? It's worth it though, I love to fly it now after wanting to get rid of it.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I find it amusing that I am "downgrading" my $500 250 pro dfc/ beastx super combo with cheaper components to improve performance. I'm spending money on down grades, nuts huh? It's worth it though, I love to fly it now after wanting to get rid of it.
Yep thats exactly right. I put some really nice MKS servos on now back to the cheap plastic gear Emax ones to save weight. go figure.
Problem is I have a Trex 500 and Goblin 700 as my other helis so I want it to fly as good as those. Changing to the Kbar has improved it so much I now actually think I might get there with it.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

i just weighed my SE today holy crap full flying weight is 365g

Where is it all!? how much heavier are the 415 align servos than those lightweight ones you guys have? May have to switch
blue92ehsi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

with horn screwed in 415 and 425 weigh 14.3 grams

ds76 and 76t weighs 7.7 grams with horn screwed in.

I just got my carbon boom and plus plastic canopy from the mail box this morning.

I'll weigh them when I get home tonight, these 2 items should get me down to 310 to 311.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

i assume that the flybar version is quite a bit heavier than the FBL then?

cause even if i get lighter servos thats still only maybe 17 grams less
blue92ehsi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

maybe so, I changed all 4 servos, they came out of a 300x, save 25.6 grams there.

Browsing through the sticky, there looks to be some light weight fb'd 250's.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fly mine the other day with the Emax 08 plastic gear servos back in. Had the MKS ones that weigh a ton. Had to leave the canopy off as with the extended balls on the swash it hits the push rods form the servo to the swash. Need to do a little mod.
So would have been around the 320g mark. Certainly a lot better feel on the collective with the weight down. Was 360+ before.
One thing I did notice was it had a bit of a cyclic wobble when flipping it. I think a small drop on the cyclic gain will sort it. Maybe just a sign of the slower servos.

I also have my new DO5010MG turn up but dont want to put in until I have a chance to get the cyclic sorted. Just haven't had a chance to fly it and away this week for 3 weeks.
If the 6g tail servos works will be down another 15g
Then will look at removing tail supports and carbon boom.
Want to also have a go at making my own plastic canopy. I think could get it fairly light. Current one around 25g.
Once the talon 15 comes out will be getting closer to the 300g mark which Is where I think it needs to be.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great, looking forward to hearing how that 5010mg works out.

Ok according to my scale-

Fiberglass canopy= 18.7
Plastic Plus canopy= 11.7

Stock boom= 4.9
carbon= 3.6

Grand total of 8.3 grams saved puts me at 311.5 grams.
And in true Align fashion the canopy will not fit on without trimming the bottom, this one won't even go on with no battery, and it is quite flimsy, feels worse than Blade canopies, but it's 7 grams lighter so...
Old 11-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Canopy is only there to look good :-)
unfortunately don't think I am going to get a chance to test for a bit. Away for a few weeks later this week. Hopefully a small window when I get back to test. If not will be January when I have a holiday. Plenty of time to tinker then.

The 5010mg looks fairly good. Nice light wires and things. Holding high hopes. I think would be good Cyclic as well. Faster, lighter and cheaper than the eflight ones. (which I cant get here anyway) Just have to make sure the adapter to get them in the frame doesn't add too much.

Any idea when the Talon 15 is due out ?

Cheers
Old 11-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

"mid November" according to Tower Hobbies.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yup that's it, sometimes takes him a while to respond but he will, or you can search the big thread in mcpx brushless mods forum.
Thanks bmc76,

Rather annoyingly, my 250 project has had a set back. I ordered 3 x ds76 & a ds76t anongst other things from fast lad a week ago. The order was sent last Tusday, but seems to have gone missing as I've not received it yet: Usually when I order from them I get the order the next day, if not, the day after that. Not fast lad's fault, our Royal Mail service

Still, this gives me plenty of time to conact SSkaug (Steffen)
Old 11-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question

What do you guys think of these servos?Good/Bad/Maybe?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6kg_0_07s.html
im2tall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2tall View Post
What do you guys think of these servos?Good/Bad/Maybe?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6kg_0_07s.html

The specs look good. For $2.99, you almost couldn't go wrong!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

at 10grams I don't see the benefit vs risk advantage, personally I would keep looking, but that's me. I take the ds76 risk because there is a very substantial weight advantage, and user reports aren't so bad that I'm worried about them dying in flight at any minute. If I crash I'll be changing gears for sure, but that's not hard or expensive and I can live with that inconvenience in exchange for the weight savings.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

I rolled dice! I got some for cyclic, but I'm gonna use the ds76t on rudder. I couldn't find any bad info on them. I got 7 for around $20,kinda hard to complain.
im2tall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey guys, Great thread!

I just finished my FBL HK250GT build today and....

My AUW came out at 312g with Hyperion DS09 GMD cyclic servos, a Logictech 3100t tail servo, ZYX-S FBL system, Orange sat RX, Talon 25(15 on order), Align 250sp motor, and a 3s 800mah Flightpower pack. I should be at or below 302g once my Talon 15 gets here, and I trim the wires.

I'm contemplating a TP G8 730 pack also, @57g it's 13g lighter than my FP800's and NT850's which would put me under 290g even with the 9g servos I have on it now.

I was pretty happy with how it's flying but the gyro needs some tweaking. I was getting some bobble on the cyclic stops, and a slight tail drift. I dropped the cyclic gain by 3 points, and I suspect the tail drift is a symptom of not setting the tail pitch in rate mode. Might not get a chance to do more flying till Tuesday at our indoor venue though.

Very interested in hearing how testing goes with the 5010 servos, hehehe I found one in my experiment box. I might try it as a tail servo, that would save another 3g It would be awesome if one of the aftermarket companies would make an upper frame set cut for smaller servos, that would save me another 9g
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02470.1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	465535   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02471.1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	465536  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in