Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X3

X3 Discussion and support for the Gaui X3

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cyclo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 385 stretch on Classic Airframe vs x3l

So I'm not crazy about the characteristics of my Oxy 4, nice heli but always preferred an X3. That being said, I have the 450 electronics to transfer to the classic airframe without buying anything else.

I know they don't make the 360 belt version anymore and it's all 385. Typically 380 helis run a beefier motor so I'm hesitant to stretch to 380 running my scorpion 1880.

So what should I do? Stick with the classic tt 360? Classic with the 385 conversion? Or just go x3l and source a bigger motor maybe?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
rlane4osu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is how I rationalize to myself sticking with the original frame with 360mm blades and the belt conversion...

My X3s to me are my primary beater heli... I have crashed them more than a dozen times and the reason I really like them is because they are very easy to service/maintain after crashes. The 360mm blade size IMHO is the biggest blade size where you can still safely use the breakaway servo horns (orange or blue colored) and not run the risk of these breaking while doing 3D. Having breakaway servo horns means not dealing with replacing micro servo gears which is probably the most time consuming task when repairing mini sized helis with micro servos.

From the other thread, it appears that you can setup the original X3 with 380 sized boom and belt (but 360mm sized blades) and it will still fly well. I am not sure about component placement (ESC specifically) with the X3L but with the original X3, ESC is very easy to mount.

I will be sticking with my X3s until they are no longer supported and I run out of spares. I am intrigued by newer models and seen and inspected them up close but I think the old X3 still wins when it comes to serviceability, toughness, and cheap repair costs. Take for example the ease of replacing the breakaway servo horns on the X3... No need to remove any other component or use lengthy screw drivers to get to remove and then mount new servo horns. The X3 frame is also tough... In a dozen or so crashes, only once did I need to replace a frame and only once did I need to replace gears in one of the cyclic KST servos.

Breakaway servo horns doing their job:

Compass Chronos | 7HVU | 550U | Atom 5.5 | Atom 500 | Gaui X3 #1 | X3 #2

Last edited by cyclo; 09-19-2018 at 04:27 PM..
cyclo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
This is how I rationalize to myself sticking with the original frame with 360mm blades and the belt conversion...

My X3s to me are my primary beater heli... I have crashed them more than a dozen times and the reason I really like them is because they are very easy to service/maintain after crashes. The 360mm blade size IMHO is the biggest blade size where you can still safely use the breakaway servo horns (orange or blue colored) and not run the risk of these breaking while doing 3D. Having breakaway servo horns means not dealing with replacing micro servo gears which is probably the most time consuming task when repairing mini sized helis with micro servos.

From the other thread, it appears that you can setup the original X3 with 380 sized boom and belt (but 360mm sized blades) and it will still fly well. I am not sure about component placement (ESC specifically) with the X3L but with the original X3, ESC is very easy to mount.

I will be sticking with my X3s until they are no longer supported and I run out of spares. I am intrigued by newer models and seen and inspected them up close but I think the old X3 still wins when it comes to serviceability, toughness, and cheap repair costs. Take for example the ease of replacing the breakaway servo horns on the X3... No need to remove any other component or use lengthy screw drivers to get to remove and then mount new servo horns. The X3 frame is also tough... In a dozen or so crashes, only once did I need to replace a frame and only once did I need to replace gears in one of the cyclic KST servos.

Breakaway servo horns doing their job:

I agree with what you're saying. Thing is, if I'm going belt my only option is a 385 airframe. Just wondering if I should go with a airframe that was designed around 380 vs a frame that's been stretched 3 times.

rlane4osu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

i run xnova 2618-1360kv on my 380mm lynx stretched x3. its sweet.

the sweet spot for 360mm was more like 1560kv.

Xnova 2618-1860kv motor says 320 to 360mm.

so scorpion 2520-1880kv id say is just past its sweet spot at 380mm.

im sure it would work if you can get a slightly smaller pinion and get a sweet motor th % for your desired HS. but its not ideal imo.
Indokast is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indokast View Post
i run xnova 2618-1360kv on my 380mm lynx stretched x3. its sweet.

the sweet spot for 360mm was more like 1560kv.

Xnova 2618-1860kv motor says 320 to 360mm.

so scorpion 2520-1880kv id say is just past its sweet spot at 380mm.

im sure it would work if you can get a slightly smaller pinion and get a sweet motor th % for your desired HS. but its not ideal imo.

+1. I am using the Scorpion 2520 1580V motor / 13T pinion on both my X3s... Either 350 or 360mm blades. Both have the original belt conversion kits. I am also using Lynx speed up tail pulley on both.
Indokast likes this.
Compass Chronos | 7HVU | 550U | Atom 5.5 | Atom 500 | Gaui X3 #1 | X3 #2
cyclo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wouldn't say the 380 was stretched 3 times. It was a beefy 325-360 from the start and the shafts are the same size as newer 380's from other manufacturers but the x3(l) is one of the lightest.
2slow2g is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2018, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow2g View Post
I wouldn't say the 380 was stretched 3 times. It was a beefy 325-360 from the start and the shafts are the same size as newer 380's from other manufacturers but the x3(l) is one of the lightest.
That's the truth! It looks normal as a 380. I think it looks a little chunky at 360.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlane4osu View Post
I agree with what you're saying. Thing is, if I'm going belt my only option is a 385 airframe. Just wondering if I should go with a airframe that was designed around 380 vs a frame that's been stretched 3 times.

from what I understand the frame is same size just redesigned on x3L for more battery options for example. I believe the main gear, main shaft, head assy, tail boom (now 380mm) and tail case are all interchangeable. So other than frame changes its a belted stretch version of same heli plus a fiberglass boom option that makes it look like a goblin afaik. Someone correct me if I am wrong. But yeah 1880kv is likely rated 325 to 360mm ideally either way and it would be a screaming beast on those I would think!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.