Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ryobi 2200 Watt Inverter Generator - Anyone Using One?

I'm really interested in this unit for field charging, and it looks good on paper. From the youtube videos I've seen, it's really quiet. Has a 3 year warranty too.

Just wondering if anyone's using it, and what you think about it.
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Link

TS3D#1
NanoCPX, TREX500DFC,
TREX700DFC HV, DX8
Old 12-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Ryobi 2200 Watt Inverter Generator - Anyone Using One?

I've been thinking bout one myself. I have a Champion inverter now that has been great, but I just don't like the footprint it has. Its a little awkward for me to pick up and move around. I love the idea of wheels and pull handle.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
Cyclone Blades, Scorpion Motors
eagleridge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

One thread about the Ryobi (happens to be centered around an issue with it not putting out the rated output for charging use, but worth a read regardless):
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=568405

Another user mentioned his in this one, he likes it:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=568046
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have one. There are 3 of us here locally using them and none of us have had any issues. Starts really easy and is nice and quiet.

My only complaints would be the two handle design for carrying. It would be nice to have a single handle in the middle of the unit for one hand carrying. You can carry it by one handle but it is a little awkward. It would also be nice to have a fuel shut off valve for burning all fuel out of the unit for storage. I suppose one could add one fairly easy. The telescoping handle is nice. I use it all the time to back it in to its little corner in my garage. It is a little flimsy though. The wheels are small and meant for smooth surfaces. Not sure how well it would do being pulled across a grass field.

So far I am very pleased with my purchase. I max out my hyperion duo (15A on each port) and the generator handles it with no problem at all.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and links. Seems like a pretty solid unit.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Several Ryobis running all the time at our field, and several people waiting to pick one up over the winter. For the price, it's fantastic.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on the Ryobi. I only have about 2 hours on mine and am happy with it.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanheli76 View Post
I have one. There are 3 of us here locally using them and none of us have had any issues. Starts really easy and is nice and quiet.

My only complaints would be the two handle design for carrying. It would be nice to have a single handle in the middle of the unit for one hand carrying. You can carry it by one handle but it is a little awkward. It would also be nice to have a fuel shut off valve for burning all fuel out of the unit for storage. I suppose one could add one fairly easy. The telescoping handle is nice. I use it all the time to back it in to its little corner in my garage. It is a little flimsy though. The wheels are small and meant for smooth surfaces. Not sure how well it would do being pulled across a grass field.

So far I am very pleased with my purchase. I max out my hyperion duo (15A on each port) and the generator handles it with no problem at all.
+1
A single handle would be nice but for the price I couldn't be happier. Sometimes takes a few pulls to start but would definitely buy again. Also, new ryobis can usually be found on ebay for about 1/2 the price of the Honda 2000.
GRR45 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I've been using one for about a month. Last weekend, I got to test it with a full 1100 charging watts -- 1500W out if the generator -- and it performed like a champ.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ive been running a Ryobi gen for just nearly a year... It gets anything from 4-8 hrs use most weekends no issues to date...
360Wings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

The only annoyance is the wheels rattling while the generator is running. I bought a couple of cheap plastic doorstops to use as wheel chocks to stop the rattling.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
TJ
Registered Users

I bought a used Ryobi for a good price shipped from NY to MO complete with saw dust. I usually have to pull it a couple of times to get fuel to the carb if it has been sitting around for a month or so but typically starts up just fine. With my power supply and charger. I can paralel charge my 6s packs at 35amps and it will keep on going. On my friends power supply which is a little better than mine but cost way more we were able to charge at 40amps and the generator handled it. All of that and take into consideration that my generator was put through its paces with the previous owner.

Also I saw several of the Ryobi generators at IRCHA and everyone else seem to love them also. There not as quiet but are pretty close as the more expensive brands.
TJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been using mine for about 8 months now charging 6s 4000 packs at 9 amps and it stays in idle mode. Doesn't even go into rabbit mode.

It comes with a 3 year warranty, starts on the first pull and it only costs $600 from Home Depot. I do agree with the Bum, my handle rattles but that is taken care of with a few rubber bands.
corona_951 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have about 200 hours on mine. On cooler days I can pull 46a @ 25v non stop into the charger for 4 hours which will run the tank dry (13.5a @ 117v).

To put that into heli metrics, that means you would go through 1 tank of gas in 4.5 hours and charge 18 sets for a 700.

On warmer days I have to drop down to 36a @25v to keep from overloading. That translates into 15 sets in 4.5 hours.

For me, there is a drop off when it gets hot outside when I am pulling 1500va non stop, which several of us suspect is charger voltage polling related. I have added a cap pack to ease the pulsing effect a charger puts on the ps & genny.

I personally love the 2 handles vs 1. I built a compartment off to the side to hang my 30' retractable extension cord which adds to the carrying weight.

When stress testing with a clean load (flood lights, heats guns, etc), I could pull 1750 va without overload for 15 minutes, which is excellent (basically pulling 15a out of a 15a circuit breaker). Keep in mind, Honda's are rated 1600va.

So if you fly 4 flights on a 700 per hour, this genny would be adequate. If you want 6 flights per hour on a 700, you need a bigger genny.

I personally think the days of $900 gennies will go the way of $250 25c 5000mah batteries of just a few years ago. You can now get a 2000w genny, server psus and a 1300w charger for the cost of one Honda.

We live in a very good time for flying RC helis. The future can only get better.

Diviner Gregg

FPV Racing Channel . . . new episode every other Friday

Last edited by Diviner; 12-06-2013 at 12:31 AM..
Diviner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I bought the Ryobi 2200 last June before going to a funfly and ran it for four days almost non-stop without an issue. After that I used it at least one day every weekend the rest of the summer and well into Fall and it's performed flawless. I run 2x47 amp feathermerchant supplies off it and usually two chargers. One maxed out at 30 amps and the other doing rx packs at 4amps or so.
It also powers a coffee pot really well in the mornings.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Our field has a few. Some have well over 100 hours. Sometimes if there is only one we hook up at least 2 charging case if not three or four. In this case we have been able to overload it and shut it down. Still, I think it is the best bang for the buck genny.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got one of these few weeks ago and have about 4 hours runtime on it. It didn't skip a beat when I parallel charged a pair of 6s 5000 mah packs @ 30A. Slightly louder than a Honda 2000, but definitely not that loud at all. Next test is 25A per channel simultaneously with my 308Duo and pair of DPS-1200 PS. Another satisfied owner. Can't wait to bring it to IRCHA this year for a good workout as we will probably have several charge rigs plugged into it at the same time.

I give it 3 thumbs up!!
Old 05-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

3 year warranty, does the manual say where it has to go for warranty repair, do you have to pack it up and ship it to third party? Thanks
Ken Here is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looks like there are Ryobi Service centers all over the place. When I searched my zip code, there are 4 service centers within 15 miles of me.
http://www.ryobitools.com/support/service-centers

Edit: It also says that you can take it to any HomeDepot and they will send it in for repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in