Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 700X

Blade 700X Blade 700X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommeke View Post
Lol I know what I'm doing with my settings dude, I have been competing at a high level for some time now, no room for 'bad' settings. I NEED those hard stops to be sustainable, I don't like them for the 'bark' or anything, they are just necessary for my flying. I have never had a single issue with tail gears stripping on any model, not even on my aligns... This is not a fault on my part, Blade has aknowledged the issue. I agree with you though that the gears are of a decent material
Lol thanks for the good laugh.

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

You've clearly been waiting months for the opportunity to use that emoticon.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclysma View Post
You've clearly been waiting months for the opportunity to use that emoticon.
You know me too well. ;-)
Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default tt gears

I have stripped many tt gears over the years on many brands of helis. Its usually the first sign of weak plastic on a cheap made heli.which tells me to stay away or sell heli. Id stick to a belt drive or a synergy type mod 1 delron tt gear.or a newer heli that uses helical tt gears
iheliflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys use this video to set gear mesh on your gears, Use main shaft shims, or i used my E700 gear shims, but the angle on the edge of the gear shown in this video is the same for the 700x gears, so line those up like shown in the video and you will maximize the strength of the gears.
Nick Maxwell Explains how to set Bevel Gear Mesh (10 min 44 sec)
Old 01-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDoc25 View Post
Hey guys use this video to set gear mesh on your gears, Use main shaft shims, or i used my E700 gear shims, but the angle on the edge of the gear shown in this video is the same for the 700x gears, so line those up like shown in the video and you will maximize the strength of the gears. Nick Maxwell Explains how to set Bevel Gear Mesh - YouTube
+1
mickeyjohnston is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 11:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default finally, me too

probably flight 12 or 13, I have stripped my rear most gear on the tail, my "D" gear, its as if i bent a tooth on a hard pitch pop, -7 to +14 at the beggining of my flight, then it worked on it a bit for about 2 min and was giving me inconsistant piro's and making a vibing sound so i landed this beast (with Nick maxwell scorpion 4235) and about 7 of the teath were worn down on the rear most gear, a few were ground on the "C" gear, the front two tail gears looked ok, a tiny bit of wear on the umbrella like gear, but i did notice a bunch of play in the two bearings that are around the torque tube gear (Umbrella like gear). probly went bad and devoloped the play during the 2 min of flight after i messed up the rear tail gear. So i ordered the new bearings and a main shaft color that comes with the two shims (I will use the thinner one on this front torque tube gear to make the mesh perfect).
SO Besides my gyro setting being not soft enough, How can this problem be fixed. It seems as the tail slows down too much when lots of power is given to it do to the large size tail blades or the gearing, or something i dont know about. Im using rail 116mm tails so i will switch to edge se 115 to maybe let the tail blades travel easier when crazy power is applied. Does anyone make 114 or 112, Just an idea, im not an engineer and ive only been flying for about 2 years. Any Thought. Im sick of leaving it up to Blade, They are not fast enough and we(you guys) are smart.
Blade 700X w/ Silverline vbar and outrage torq servos with a Scorpion 4235- 520kv, T-Rex 550 stretch on 8s with scorpion and align 600mm, SAB Goblin 570 on 12S with a scorpion and a silverline, .Trex 450L Dominator on 6S and a blueline.
steve54 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 12:14 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
It seems as the tail slows down too much when lots of power is given to it do to the large size tail blades or the gearing, or something i dont know about.
Could you clarify what you mean? Is it a subtle slowdown like piro-whipping?
Old 01-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I adjusted my tail gears the same way as in the Nick Maxwell video, with a very slight amount of backlash, just enough that you can feel that there is some backlash and that's it. I am also going to lube my gears with this stuff.
http://www.helidirect.com/dryfluid-e...ml-p-34412.hdx
I ordered all the shims I needed from E bay. They cost a small fortune but I should be set for a long time.

I had a request for the part numbers on the shim packs. I posted a clearer picture that the part numbers are readable. The shim sizes are 5mm 6mm and 12 mm. I also ordered a pack of 8mm for shimming the feathering shaft. They come in 0.1 0.2 0.3 sizes. I also ordered a pack of different sizes that are all 0.1 thick of different sizes. I ordered these off E bay from China. They came in less than 2 weeks. Beware though the China new year is coming up it may take longer. If you do a search on E bay you will find them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	481699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	481843  
iKON DX9

Last edited by Greg B; 01-25-2014 at 10:19 AM..
Greg B is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclysma View Post
Could you clarify what you mean? Is it a subtle slowdown like piro-whipping?
NO NO NO, not a problem i am having but a design prob with the helis tail gearing and blade size. It just seems to me that with such a large tail blade "in theory" the blade creates more drag, than a smaller one would, therefore slowing the tail drive system down too much and the large amount of power being put to that tail drive system by the powerful motor is to much for the rear tail gears so they deform and end up stripping. If that makes sense.
I knew my tail gear was having problem when i started getting a piro-whipping and in a hover the tail was rotating to counter clockwise
i softened my gyro setting a bit and put in some new bearings on my front umbrella gear. the smallest shim was too thick but the mesh is almost perfect anyways with the new set of gears. im putting two packs threw her tomorrow so ill let everyone know how it goes, i will fly her hard.
Blade 700X w/ Silverline vbar and outrage torq servos with a Scorpion 4235- 520kv, T-Rex 550 stretch on 8s with scorpion and align 600mm, SAB Goblin 570 on 12S with a scorpion and a silverline, .Trex 450L Dominator on 6S and a blueline.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:21 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default TT Gears Stripped mid flight?!

I think blade size is unlikely to change drag appreciably. Your gyro will simply add pitch until you get the same force as before you shortened the blades. Assuming you have enough authority with the shorter blades to hold the tail. I would only consider running shorter tail blades if running a very high headspeed.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ahhaa

No i get it, that is why the speed helis have smaller tail blades, they are running 2600 not 2050. I softened my gyro setting and didn't have any problems in 2 flights today. I flew hard and did notice a tiny bit of white dust on my back tail gears, they were both new and i shimmed them to be perfect so hopefully it was just a breaking in thing, ill brush it all off(almost none) and keep an eye on it.
This copter is so connected to you it is hard for me to keep my tick tock perfectly straight without a bunch of expo, i love the way it feels, it seems as if it is anticipating your sticks. you can blow on your sticks and the copter will drift that way. Great job to James H and Blade.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishbot View Post
On my 8th flight on my 700X doing minor piroflips, I heard a noise in the air, and lost control of the tail. This caused the heli to spin out and smash into the ground. After inspecting the heli, post-crash, nothing looked mechanically out of place except for the stripped bevel gears on the tail. I'm running the James Haley 700X CC settings. I spooled the heli after the crash on a bench with no blades. There are no vibrations in the head or tail, and all appears fine.

Luckily no one was hurt except the heli -- lost my blades, canopy, landing gear, bevel gears, servos gears, anti rotation bracket, and boom brace; It could have been much worse with how it came down.

I've already ordered replacement parts (about $250 in damage), and expect to have the heli up and running again this weekend.

So I'm not sure why or how this happened, I'm running the default governor gain from the James Haley setup file. Anyone care to chime in with things to check before I re-maiden again this weekend? If this were to happen a second time this weekend, I'd be very discouraged.

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, did you try the captain rescue feature of the BD3SX after the gears stripped? I've always been curious if it would still work if you lost the tail. You would think it would by using piro comp. Then you could slowly lower it down and do a mini auto a few feet off the ground to kill the headspeed and minimize if not eliminate damage.

-Give a man a helicopter and he flies for a day. Teach a man to fly helicopters and he flies for a lifetime!
BadVad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadVad View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you try the captain rescue feature of the BD3SX after the gears stripped? I've always been curious if it would still work if you lost the tail. You would think it would by using piro comp. Then you could slowly lower it down and do a mini auto a few feet off the ground to kill the headspeed and minimize if not eliminate damage.
I think it would depend on how fast you let it get pirouetting before killing the power. You'd be best off to kill power immediately after it gets close to upright and auto it in. Gyro sensors have a maximum at which they can no longer return good data (for instance 1200 degrees/sec). There is usually a tradeoff between precision and range of measurement. The BD3SX might make it even worse because I believe it attempts to climb out too which is NOT what you'd want in this situation as that would just accelerate the piro rate.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadVad View Post
By habit, I did hit my Captain Rescue. Not sure if it made things any better for the crash though. Lost tail authority 30 feet in the air, fell into some thick bushes and the damage was:
Boom, (Main) Blades, Landing Gear, Canopy, Servo Gear stripped

Could have been worse! Since rebuilding it, I've had about 10 flights on it with 0 problems. I changed the BD3SX for a softer tail delay.
phishbot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

you know your always welcome to come back by our field anytime. You can fly my 550x on 12s. lol you would love it man.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Mario!! I'll be back soon. Can't wait to see you guys fly again
phishbot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

This happened to me also today and it was my second flight.my damage is very similar to yours + cracked both frames + main blades. I'm lucky that there was no injury to myself or other people.I have shimmed the tail gear and there was no play.It is very annoying to have stripped gear as the cause for the crash?I do feel that horizon should do some thing about it if it happens to other people.
arefim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by arefim View Post
This happened to me also today and it was my second flight.my damage is very similar to yours + cracked both frames + main blades. I'm lucky that there was no injury to myself or other people.I have shimmed the tail gear and there was no play.It is very annoying to have stripped gear as the cause for the crash?I do feel that horizon should do some thing about it if it happens to other people.
Did you strip the front or rear umbrella set? Are your stops hard or soft? Do you wag the tail violently in your flight or over gain the tail into a violent wag at all?
Old 05-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Did you strip the front or rear umbrella set? Are your stops hard or soft? Do you wag the tail violently in your flight or over gain the tail into a violent wag at all?
It is the front set.My gain was fine .I had few hard stops as I was testing the tail. this was only my second flight and I'm afraid the the tail gears are made of cheap plastic.
arefim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in