Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > OpenTX Radios

OpenTX Radios OpenTX Radios Discussion and Support Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

A couple of thisngs to note:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeber View Post

I followed one of the R Scott Page videos on what to do when it comes out of the box. I calibrated the sticks, the TX voltage signal and tried to update the firmware. That's where I ran into my first issue. On two different computers I could see the TX drives with the files in them, but could not get the firmware or eeprom to transfer. After a bit of poking around on the forums, I discovered that if you ran into this problem, you needed to download zadig.exe to update the drivers. So, I did that and then tried and couldn't find the driver. After some playing, here's what you need to do
- Plug your Taranis into the USB port with the Taranis powered off.
- Run zadig and select Options->List All Devices
- In the drop down, select STM32 BOOTLOADER
- Click reinstall or update driver
- reboot
Now everything worked.

I updated the firmware and downloaded my model to the transmitter. Suddenly, my calibration was lost and I couldn't figure that out. After a couple of gyrations, turns out that calibration values are stored in the eeprom file. So, for those of you following at home, don't do any of the calibration or any other settings until you have downloaded your model to the TX the first time. Then do those changes and upload everything back to your PC. This will ensure that your eeprom file has all of your latest data in it. In fact when you want to edit a model in companion 9x, I suggest uploading from your TX before hand just to make sure that you don't overwrite anything on the TX that you changed from last time.

One other issue that I had to deal with.
- When I updated my firmware, the battery alarm settings changed from the NIMH batt that I received with my TX to lipo settings. Because the LIPO works at a higher voltage, I immediately got critical low battery alarms. Make sure that you write down the factory settings for the battery before you update the firmware.
I will incorporate this info into the main post in time, but posting it here as it will help people.

The summary is:
- zadig.exe can assist in loading the driver to allow Companion9X to download eeproms.
- In Companion9X, backup your own eeprom, then copy new models into YOUR eeprom for re-downloading so you do not lose calibration settings.

Thanks JWeber for posting.

Hope this helps people.
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default THANKS

This helped me get my MCPX up and running on my Taranis with DM9 module.
I ended up configuring the external module with PPM, 8-channel, 22 ms, 400 Ás, + to get it working correctly.

One thing though I didn't get any voice annunciation when changing flight modes, are the voice settings not included in eepe file?
beefcake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
This helped me get my MCPX up and running on my Taranis with DM9 module.
I ended up configuring the external module with PPM, 8-channel, 22 ms, 400 Ás, + to get it working correctly.

One thing though I didn't get any voice annunciation when changing flight modes, are the voice settings not included in eepe file?
I had not configured the voice settings. Not in the guide nor the eepe. That is on my to-do list.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Beginners Taranis programming guide for RC helis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
I had not configured the voice settings. Not in the guide nor the eepe. That is on my to-do list.
I've got voice announcements tied to my switches for idle up and dual rates... Do you want me to upload my eepe?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
MyRCode is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRCode View Post
I've got voice announcements tied to my switches for idle up and dual rates... Do you want me to upload my eepe?
Yes please. Thank you.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Yes please. Thank you.
Here it is. I added a screenshot of the CF page for the people that don't want to download it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	750
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	490960  
Attached Files
File Type: txt MyRCode EEPROM.txt (77.0 KB, 294 views)
MyRCode is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice. Thanks much.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2014, 04:37 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Beastx with trex 550-500-450

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlumpfteam View Post
Hi Minimoke

I have read, that you put up your taranis for the rex 500 with an ar7200.
I have got the Blade 300x with the ar7200. Right now I am struggling with the setup of the taranis.
Especially that i have to set up the Limits (Min and Max of the Channels) to something like -42 and +42 because otherwise the servos would run into their full range only at mid-stick.

Could you share your eepe file for your 500 with ar7200.

If you have managed to set up your 550 (I have the same, but I only use the DX6i for it with the beast), with beast and 8xr I would be happy to see your result.

Greetings from Flensburg in Northern Germany

Gunnar
Hello Gunnar,

sorry it took a while ... but I really want to test everything before posting.

the 550 has an X8R and Microbeast v3. the other 2 have ar7200bx with orange module.

I use the gyro button to select the optimal gyro setting.

I only use FM0, FM1 and FM2 and have also changed the expo a little so I have 3 different settings.

I also added some sounds and a volume knob.

Works great right now.

Will change the ar7200bx as soon as the receivers are back in stock.

Hope this helps
Minimoke.

PS : remove .txt and you will have the eepe file
Attached Files
File Type: txt trex550-500-450Beast.eepe.txt (77.0 KB, 310 views)
Taranis (replaced Dx6i) - Mcpx v2
Minimoke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just wanted to give another THANK YOU to Archmage! This weekend I finally got my Blade400 airborne, all the OpenTX programming is working - AND I also got a v1 MCPX flying too! I feel like I can setup every page for any heli/plane now, except custom switches which I still haven't touched
boatillo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default T-REX 450 with flybar CCPM 120 setting

First of all, I would like to thank Archmage for his great work. I have entered the values in my Taranis TX and using the stock 16 ch receiver with the internal module. Where I'm a bit confused is where to connect the cyclic servos on the receiver. I tried many iterations but never get the proper movement of the cyclic servos
I setup ch2 to CYC2, ch3 to CYC1 and ch6 to CYC3. What I don't understand is the orientation of the Blade CCPM 120 versus the T-REX 450.

On page 3,
Swash type is 120
Collective source CH18
tried INV or not on all 3 axis

On page 6,
CH1 is assigned CH17
CH2 CYC2 ail
CH3 CYC1 ele
CH4 Rud
CH5 CH19 gyro
CH6 CYC3 pitch
CH17 thr 100 CV1 (just one throttle curve entered for now) T-norm
CH18 thr 100 CV9 (just one pitch curve entered for now) Pitch
CH19 CH5 gyro (no value yet)
RO33474 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default CCPM120 on a flybar T-REX 450

Okay, I figured was I was doing wrong, servos work in the right direction now.
YE!
RO33474 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #32 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO33474 View Post
Okay, I figured was I was doing wrong, servos work in the right direction now.
YE!
Sorry I missed you post yesterday. Glad you got it sorted.

As long as you get CYC1 on the correct channel, you can get the combination of reverses and mixes to work.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Big thanks to Archmage for a great job explaining some of the more advanced Taranis programming abilities! I've been struggling for a month but a lot of lights went on as I went through the post step by step, and then built my own much simpler configuration for an mCPX BL in under 10 minutes. I also learned to appreciate getting this done through the radio instead of relying on C9X all the time. Thanks again!
ChinookRC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 04:44 AM   #34 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinookRC View Post
Big thanks to Archmage for a great job explaining some of the more advanced Taranis programming abilities! I've been struggling for a month but a lot of lights went on as I went through the post step by step, and then built my own much simpler configuration for an mCPX BL in under 10 minutes. I also learned to appreciate getting this done through the radio instead of relying on C9X all the time. Thanks again!
Thanks. I deliberately went a bit more complicated so that it will work for everyone (and you can learn the concepts). Now you understand you can make your programming as simple or as complex as you like. You can get the TX to go what YOU want, not what a manufacturer thinks you want

Enjoy, have fun.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon programming a 450 into my Taranis, following these instructions. I don't understand a few things, maybe you can help:

*Why do I need 9 flight modes configured? Especially when the T and P curves are all the same?

*Global Variables - I set them up per the instructions, but how do I adjust them across all flight modes. I.E. I set GV1=100 and GV2=25 across all flight modes. being a "global" variable, why do I have to input it 9 times (1 for each FM?)

*DR & Expo: the text description is "Next, for aileron and elevator, add another stick mix that sets the DR to 85 and expo to 25 when the DR/expo switch (SG) is middle. Once you create one mix, you can copy it to another position on the same stick, or to another stick entirely.

Next, for aileron and elevator, add another stick mix that sets the DR to 50 and expo to 20 when the DR/expo switch (SG) is bottom. By varying DR without changing expo, you soften the heli movement with sacrificing responsiveness. This is my personal preference, you can put in your own values, or not use switches or globals at all. I add this because this is what I currently use for different flying styles at different head speeds." but if you look at the "sticks" page right under this text, SG UP says GV, but mid and down say 85/25. I should go back in and set 50/25 for DG Down, right?

*I have 2 identical 450s, 1 CCPM and 1 with a KDS Flymentor. I've setup all my mixes and sticks without putting in a swash so I can just duplicate this config and then turn on CCPM swash mixing on the TX. what will this affect as far as my configuration goes when I turn on CCPM TX Mixing?

Thanks again
Old 03-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #36 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon programming a 450 into my Taranis, following these instructions. I don't understand a few things, maybe you can help:

*Why do I need 9 flight modes configured? Especially when the T and P curves are all the same?

*Global Variables - I set them up per the instructions, but how do I adjust them across all flight modes. I.E. I set GV1=100 and GV2=25 across all flight modes. being a "global" variable, why do I have to input it 9 times (1 for each FM?)

*DR & Expo: the text description is "Next, for aileron and elevator, add another stick mix that sets the DR to 85 and expo to 25 when the DR/expo switch (SG) is middle. Once you create one mix, you can copy it to another position on the same stick, or to another stick entirely.

Next, for aileron and elevator, add another stick mix that sets the DR to 50 and expo to 20 when the DR/expo switch (SG) is bottom. By varying DR without changing expo, you soften the heli movement with sacrificing responsiveness. This is my personal preference, you can put in your own values, or not use switches or globals at all. I add this because this is what I currently use for different flying styles at different head speeds." but if you look at the "sticks" page right under this text, SG UP says GV, but mid and down say 85/25. I should go back in and set 50/25 for DG Down, right?

*I have 2 identical 450s, 1 CCPM and 1 with a KDS Flymentor. I've setup all my mixes and sticks without putting in a swash so I can just duplicate this config and then turn on CCPM swash mixing on the TX. what will this affect as far as my configuration goes when I turn on CCPM TX Mixing?

Thanks again
1) You don't NEED 9 flight modes, You can disable the custom switches to only have 3 if you want. Wanted to show how it could be done (so those who like more (like me), can have them. Since I use predominantly the same pitch curve in almost every mode, I re-use the same curves.

2) You can do the same as GV5 and have them all set to the first value. I use the different DR and expo for different flight modes, so I don't.

3) Yes, I forgot to program the SG<down> to 50/25 for Ail and Ele as you pointed out. You are correct. Sorry for the confusion. DR & expo are personal preference 50/25 is VERY soft (but great for precision hovering - or taming a nano or mCPX BL for a pilot new to CP ).

4) You can turn CCPM on and of as you need. As you mentioned, copy your base model and adjust to suit each heli. If following the guide, set your CCPM collective to input CH18 and set the output to the 3 servos as CYC1, CYC2 and CYC3.

Happy flying.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

1) You don't NEED 9 flight modes, You can disable the custom switches to only have 3 if you want. Wanted to show how it could be done (so those who like more (like me), can have them. Since I use predominantly the same pitch curve in almost every mode, I re-use the same curves.
---
So can you share your additional flight modes, to satisfy my curiosity?
Also when building the curves, how do I link them to FM? I did use naming convention (T-FM0, T-FM1, P-FM0, P-FM1, etc) but not sure how they are linked

2) You can do the same as GV5 and have them all set to the first value. I use the different DR and expo for different flight modes, so I don't.
--------
The name "Global Variable" must be the confusion for me. So in this case I can have default expo / dr for each FM, then I tame it even further with DR switch SG?

Thanks again!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #38 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
---
So can you share your additional flight modes, to satisfy my curiosity?
Also when building the curves, how do I link them to FM? I did use naming convention (T-FM0, T-FM1, P-FM0, P-FM1, etc) but not sure how they are linked

--------
The name "Global Variable" must be the confusion for me. So in this case I can have default expo / dr for each FM, then I tame it even further with DR switch SG?

Thanks again!
You will have to wait till I get home to share my actual flight modes. (just over 24 hours).

Yes. The setup states a DEFAULT DR&expo for each flight mode, the SG overrides the default when in mid or down position.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very nice ArchmageAU. I just received my Taranis not so long ago. I have a Thunder Tiger x50 flybarless came with spektrum radio, spektrum beastx version with receiver and 300x heli. Anyay's I ordered beastx 3.0 and will fallow ur guide. I even printed out you're guide and added to my manual book I made for my Taranis. When I wake up I'm going to setup my heli as 120 degree eccpm and experiment. I'll change swash setting when i receive beastx. Really please make some videos because other video really make me confuse. Ty for doing this for all of us.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent info ArchmageAu. I have a question.......

I fly mode 1 and can do a basic set-up okay. The question....is it possible to convert an existing eepe file configured for mode 2 to mode 1. I have tried using companion9x with no success.

Thanks in advance.
Pluggy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in