Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > OpenTX Radios

OpenTX Radios OpenTX Radios Discussion and Support Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #41 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Beginners Taranis programming guide for RC helis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluggy View Post
Excellent info ArchmageAu. I have a question.......

I fly mode 1 and can do a basic set-up okay. The question....is it possible to convert an existing eepe file configured for mode 2 to mode 1. I have tried using companion9x with no success.

Thanks in advance.

Don't know. Will have to try.

My best guess is download your existing setting from your TX. Open the eepe to import in another window and copy into new model
In your existing setup (and write). Mode 1 vs mode 2 is a global setting and you want to keep this in your TXs normal setup.
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Was wondering if anyone has setup an Align 150 on the Taranis and if anyone has the setup for Open TX? I found settings for a Trex 150 on RC Setting.com but the curves don't make any sense. I'm used to using a DX7 and the PC and TCurves were in two separate menus. On Taranis its on the same menu. What do I use for PC and what do I use for TC?
tavila71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 11:58 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Beginners Taranis programming guide for RC helis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavila71 View Post
Was wondering if anyone has setup an Align 150 on the Taranis and if anyone has the setup for Open TX? I found settings for a Trex 150 on RC Setting.com but the curves don't make any sense. I'm used to using a DX7 and the PC and TCurves were in two separate menus. On Taranis its on the same menu. What do I use for PC and what do I use for TC?
I have one setup....are you using Spektrum?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
MyRCode is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 12:17 AM   #44 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavila71 View Post
PM me directly. Ideally this should be in a different thread. (ie. OpenTX settings for Trex 150).

OpenTX allows a different pitch and throttle curve for each flight mode (and 100's of other variations).

From the manual for the Trex150: (translated from http://dl.modellbau-brakel.de/Anleit..._Combo_BTF.pdf - and modified into -100/+100 curves)

DR&Expo Elev: 100/30
DR&Expo Ail: 100/30
DR&Expo Tail: 100/15
Gyro: 45
Pitch curves:
- Hold (-100,-50,0,50,100)
- Normal (-88,4,48,68,86) = (44,52,74,84,93)
- UI1 (-100,-50,0,50,100) = (0,25,50,75,100)
Throttle curves:
- Hold (-100,-100,-100,-100,-100)
- Normal (-100,-84,30,56,60) = (0,42,65,78,80)
- UI1 (100,80,60,80,100) = (100,90,80,90,100)
Old 03-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align 150 Setup

I was running a Spektrum DX7! Thanks for the help!
tavila71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 04:34 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got my little girl (because of the voice) tonight in the post.

OK, I will admit...it is slow going at first. But I am getting it now after a weird hour reading your text and trial and error. Your guide definitely does a good job of showing HOW much can be done. Sometimes I just hold down ENT to see if something happens. Like when wanting to set values to GV's in the stick mix part, for example.

Jezus, I am going to like this I think. I am already wondering if I can set those knobs to gain values in the HC3SX...ha ha ha. For now, I am programming HeliX and then the micros.

One thing I noticed that I did not read in your guide but if helpful to know...is that if you trying to set a switch, you can just toggle it as opposed to scrolling through the list.

Immediately when you toggle a switch (when editing a mix and assigning the switch variable), that switch, in it's current position you just toggled, become the highlighted selection. Press ENT and it's done.

That's pretty slick.

obi

Exploring the other side of the disk: Taranis (+OrangeRX). nanoCPX (AD mild-BLv2), mCPX dbl-BL (BLHeli XP-12A/HP10+XP-7A/HP03T-4000KV), Align-AD Trex 150 (BLheli+HP8).
Obijuan Kenobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

A Great Primary Source for Info HERE.

If I may humbly say so...after two days off and on...reading and programming, I think your helicopter has done and got awful complicated!!

I find three almost-flat V throttle curves, a linear (m=1) pitch curve, a flat TH curve, and four flight modes is more than enough. I set a special switch combination to set everything linear for calibration of the SIM. But for flying, I have FLY1, FLY2, and FLY3, TH.

I also have to mention stick adjustment.

I read about putting tension on the collective stick side (mode 2 for me). I tried it on this radio. I settled on an amazing compromise. I have no tension on the collective stick until around +/-30, then light tension after that on both ends. It is very very nice for defining a hovering range which your thumb can feel and learn. I find it a very noticable improvement, and far better than tension through the whole range of movement on that stick.

This is fun.

obi

Exploring the other side of the disk: Taranis (+OrangeRX). nanoCPX (AD mild-BLv2), mCPX dbl-BL (BLHeli XP-12A/HP10+XP-7A/HP03T-4000KV), Align-AD Trex 150 (BLheli+HP8).
Obijuan Kenobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #48 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obijuan Kenobe View Post

A Great Primary Source for Info HERE.

If I may humbly say so...after two days off and on...reading and programming, I think your helicopter has done and got awful complicated!!

I find three almost-flat V throttle curves, a linear (m=1) pitch curve, a flat TH curve, and four flight modes is more than enough. I set a special switch combination to set everything linear for calibration of the SIM. But for flying, I have FLY1, FLY2, and FLY3, TH.

I also have to mention stick adjustment.

I read about putting tension on the collective stick side (mode 2 for me). I tried it on this radio. I settled on an amazing compromise. I have no tension on the collective stick until around +/-30, then light tension after that on both ends. It is very very nice for defining a hovering range which your thumb can feel and learn. I find it a very noticable improvement, and far better than tension through the whole range of movement on that stick.

This is fun.

obi
That is a great reference. (One that I used to learn, but did not help much with setting a heli).

My guide may be a little complicated but it has 2 objectives:
1) Establish and explain a base model from which any heli can be programmed (most resources are plane programming related).
2) Teach the new programmer how to separate functions (and why it may be worthwhile).

You can program the most complicated or basic flight modes you desire from the model I created. Most will only need 2 flight modes (N,1,2 and H), I use 7 (dependent on maneuver, flying area and conditions).

Hopefully you learned what each of the setup segments are and can program your own variants (and know how to use flight modes, extra curves, custom switches and custom functions).

Most heli references ignored flight modes (which I find is one of the MOST useful features). The template model has 1 flight mode.

I also wanted to show things like proper timing based on throttle out and how to make the momentary switch SH be available for throttle hold as a toggle (as this is where most users that have flown Spektrum are used to TH being).

Glad you are up and flying with your little girl.

Thanks for the info on stick tension too. I like mine tight (pinch flyer), but others may like your 30% loose method.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Don't know. Will have to try.

My best guess is download your existing setting from your TX. Open the eepe to import in another window and copy into new model
In your existing setup (and write). Mode 1 vs mode 2 is a global setting and you want to keep this in your TXs normal setup.
Thanks for the info...

Tried as you suggested, opened two windows and dragged some of the mix settings over (you still need to know which settings to copy), works like a charm. Curves, and stuff like custom settings still need to be manually created.
I actually learned a lot by experimenting with the drag and drop method.

Thanks again.
Pluggy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 04:46 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Pluggy,

I also fly mode-1 and am very new to Taranis Frsky.

would you be able to share your mode 1 eepe files?

I have a Blade 450X and Trex550 dfc and am working furiously at trying to get the eepe files working.

also a big, in fact a HUGE thank-you to ArchmageAU. Your files have given me a framework to explore and refine --- really has made a difference having something that you can compare to the docs...makes much more sense!
Cheers mate!
trent73 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent73 View Post
Hey Pluggy,

I also fly mode-1 and am very new to Taranis Frsky.

would you be able to share your mode 1 eepe files?

I have a Blade 450X and Trex550 dfc and am working furiously at trying to get the eepe files working.

also a big, in fact a HUGE thank-you to ArchmageAU. Your files have given me a framework to explore and refine --- really has made a difference having something that you can compare to the docs...makes much more sense!
Cheers mate!
Hi Trent73...sorry I haven't replied sooner.

Don't yet have a tried and tested eepe file. Still working on it.

Can't fly at the moment still a foot of snow on the ground.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:09 AM   #52 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I have been asked for Mode 1 versions of the .eepe files.

I have attached them to this message.

To create a Mode 1 file, I started Companion9X and change my settings to be Mode 1. I then loaded the mode 2 model (which remained as mode 2). I then created a new .eepe (File | New), and then dragged the model and dragged the model from the loaded .eepe file into the new .eepe, then saved the new .eepe.

The new .eepe was mode 1 as it was constructed with settings as mode 1.

Ideally, when loading a new model into your existing transmitter, import the .eepe from your Taranis TX (this will also read the calibration and mode). Load the new .eepe with the model you desire. Drag and drop the model from the loaded .eepe into the .eepe read from your Taranis (save the .eepe to disk for reference) then write the .eepe back to your Taranis.

Hope this helps people.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Blade450Xs-m1.eepe.txt (77.0 KB, 199 views)
File Type: txt Blade450Xf-m1.eepe.txt (77.0 KB, 169 views)
File Type: txt Blade450Xo-m1.eepe.txt (77.0 KB, 166 views)
Old 04-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks mate for the mode 1 details.

Now have to wait for the weather to improve.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
To create a Mode 1 file, I started Companion9X and change my settings to be Mode 1. I then loaded the mode 2 model (which remained as mode 2). I then created a new .eepe (File | New), and then dragged the model and dragged the model from the loaded .eepe file into the new .eepe, then saved the new .eepe.
First of all, thanks very much for this excellent tutorial! I've bookmarked it as a permanent reference site.

I have a question related to switching the mode of an eepe file.

I downloaded the spektrum mode 2 file you posted with your first article and imported it as a new model into my mode 2 TX. Everything was going fine and everything was responding as expected until I changed the channel references to CYC1, CYC2 and CYC3 and set the collective to CH18 as recommended for CCPM. When I did this, my transmitter began operating as if it was a mode 1 (collective on the right stick, elevator on the left). I redid the process several times trying to be careful to follow your instructions, but I always ended up at the same place.

Did I do something wrong when I added these, or did I miss a step? Is this easily corrected by doing the mode conversion you've suggested above?
brianmcg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #55 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmcg View Post
First of all, thanks very much for this excellent tutorial! I've bookmarked it as a permanent reference site.

I have a question related to switching the mode of an eepe file.

I downloaded the spektrum mode 2 file you posted with your first article and imported it as a new model into my mode 2 TX. Everything was going fine and everything was responding as expected until I changed the channel references to CYC1, CYC2 and CYC3 and set the collective to CH18 as recommended for CCPM. When I did this, my transmitter began operating as if it was a mode 1 (collective on the right stick, elevator on the left). I redid the process several times trying to be careful to follow your instructions, but I always ended up at the same place.

Did I do something wrong when I added these, or did I miss a step? Is this easily corrected by doing the mode conversion you've suggested above?
You probably did nothing wrong, just that things "looked" unusual.

CCPM is used only when the heli needs the transmitter (Taranis) to turn the stick signals into direct cyclic servo signals. Most FBL systems do not need CCPM (they do it in FBL unit). The known exception to this is the 3gx.

Which heli where you trying to do the CCPM signal for?

From another TX thread I authored:

Quote:
Swash types, who invents this stuff?

Swash types changes channel output on rudder, aileron and elevator. The DX6i only offers 2 swash mixes “1 Servo 90” and “CCPM 120”

So what is CCPM I hear you ask. CCPM stands for Cyclic Collective Pitch Mixing. In an RC helicopter, like a real heli, we have a swash plate that controls both the rotor pitch and the lift applied during flight. The helicopter basically follows the tilt directions of the swash plate (tip swash forward, heli goes forward). To control this swash plate, we connect at least 3 servos (either directly or by bellcrank levers). CCPM controls the signal to these three (or four) servos.

If we look at a “1 Servo 90”, elevator controls the elevator channel, aileron controls the elevator channel, collective controls pitch channel. If we were to link the channels directly to a swash plate, the result would be catastrophic.

In a direct connection, for full level collective, all three channels must lift. For an aileron roll one side of the swash plate must lift and the other side must fall, but the overall level remains the same.

The output channels for a transmitter CCPM mixed connection must be thought of as servo 1, servo 2 and servo 3 (not elevator, aileron and pitch despite them being labelled as such). The inputs are elevator, aileron and pitch, but movement on each affect all 3 cyclic servos.
Lets assume your heli that requires CCPM in the transmitter, and on the heli the cyclic servos are arranged ENE, S, WNW (heli nose is N). Assume when following the start of the CCPM programming, when you raise the collective, the ENE and WNW servos go down and the S servo goes up (collective looks like elevator). Also, when you push the elevator forward, all 3 servos raise (not keeping fully level, but raise anyway), looks like collective. I will also assume left aileron makes the left servo (WNW) lower and the right servo (ENE) raise.

This looks like mode 1. But it's not

In this example, you must first reverse (INVerse) the S servo (odd one out) which will be the channel associated with CYC1. Do this in the Servos page (page 7).

Test again. Now when you push the collective up, all 3 servo should go down in unison (remember ENE and WNW when down before). When you push forward on elevator, ENE and WNW go up and S goes down (backwards to expected). Left aileron makes the left servo (WNW) lower and the right servo (ENE) raise (as before). Things seem worse (but they are better, trust me )

Next reverse the "Coll. pitch direction" in the Heli Setup (page 3). Test again. Now when you push the collective up, all 3 servo should go UP in unison. When you push forward on elevator, ENE and WNW go up and S goes down (still backwards to expected). Left aileron makes the left servo (WNW) lower and the right servo (ENE) raise. Slightly better.

Next reverse the "Long. cyc. direction" in the Heli Setup (page 3). Test again. Now when you push the collective up, all 3 servo should go up in unison. When you push forward on elevator, ENE and WNW go DOWN and S goes UP. Left aileron makes the left servo (WNW) lower and the right servo (ENE) raise. Looks like we have it.

Setting CCPM is confusing the first time you have to do it on your own. Once you understand how it works, it's not that hard.

Hope this helps (sorry for the long post).
Old 04-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The known exception to this is the 3gx.

Which heli where you trying to do the CCPM signal for?
It's a Gaui Hurricane 200 with a 3G FL760.

Quote:
This looks like mode 1. But it's not
That's what had me confused! Thanks for the careful explanation!

Quote:
Hope this helps (sorry for the long post).
It was a great help! Working as expected now. Thanks so much!
brianmcg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #57 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmcg View Post
It was a great help! Working as expected now. Thanks so much!
You are most welcome. Glad it's all going now. I just try give the help that I know I would like if the roles were reversed.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:10 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

ArchMageAU,

Wanted to check with you on something in the programming for the throttle hold.

On the mixes menu:
CH01: R (+100%) Thr Switch (CSW) Curve (Curve 8) (T-Hld); 2nd line
CH17: R (+100%) Thr Switch (CSW) Curve (Curve 8) (T-Hld); 10th line

I thought these were doing the same thing so I removed one (either) and simulated and it looked like everything was still working as it should when throttle hold was engaged.

What do you think? Was there another reason you had both lines there that I'm missing?

Thanks!
Tron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 12:33 AM   #59 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron View Post
ArchMageAU,

Wanted to check with you on something in the programming for the throttle hold.

On the mixes menu:
CH01: R (+100%) Thr Switch (CSW) Curve (Curve 8) (T-Hld); 2nd line
CH17: R (+100%) Thr Switch (CSW) Curve (Curve 8) (T-Hld); 10th line

I thought these were doing the same thing so I removed one (either) and simulated and it looked like everything was still working as it should when throttle hold was engaged.

What do you think? Was there another reason you had both lines there that I'm missing?

Thanks!
Safety thing (HOLD should hold).

Channel 17 is so all the throttle mixing is on a channel.
Channel 1 is the output so I add it there for safety (as safety channel does not work with output based timer).

Can remove one or the other. It will still work.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow. Thanks for this guide. I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I bought the Taranis today. Way too many acronyms and generic functions that all have to be related to produce an effect. Looks like a massive time sink and I'm a bit disappointed.

Sorry to sound negative, I know a lot of people put massive effort into producing this. I'm sure I'll learn to like it once I dig in. Obviously there is power in the generic approach.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in