Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default dx8 g2 and charging

I have a DX8 G2 ... There does not appear to be any sort of light indicating if the charge is complete or not. The transformer on the wall plug does not have any sort of light. I cannot even confirm if the thing is charging. I just leave it plugged in "for awhile". Amusingly, the manual cautions against using any other charger and leaving it plugged in after charge is complete but doesn't tell you how to tell if the charge is complete.

Suggestions? I don't care how long it takes to charge, just want to know two things:
1) is it charging?
2) is the charge complete?

How do others handle this?
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have the TX turned on when you plug it in you can see the voltage go up a little bit. I don't know how long it takes to charge but I let it plugged in overnight.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a DX9 with the high capacity lipo in it. The battery itself has a balance charging circuit built into it and also the Spektrum logo on the front of the DX9 glows a purple/orange color when charging and goes out when the charge is complete. Not sure if the DX8 lights up or not, but I would assume the factory has the same built in balancing circuit that shuts off the charge when done assuming you have a Li Ion pack?

Also keep in mind the factory charger is a very low rate trickle charger. It can take more than 24 hours to recharge my pack completely
Old 09-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
I have a DX9 with the high capacity lipo in it. The battery itself has a balance charging circuit built into it and also the Spektrum logo on the front glows a purple/orange color when charging and goes out when the charge is complete. Not sure if the DX8 does this or not?

Also keep in mind the factory charger is a very low rate trickle charger. It can take more than 24 hours to recharge my pack completely

It doesn't ... at least mine doesn't... There is no indication that it is charging when you plug it in. There is no indication that it is done either. Its annoying.
XL Power Specter 700
Old 09-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It doesn't ... at least mine doesn't... There is no indication that it is charging when you plug it in. There is no indication that it is done either. Its annoying.
What battery chemistry comes in the radio? I know this function was only if you changed the battery type to Lipo or Li Ion in the radio as the earlier Spek radios did not come with these types of battery packs and had Nicads or NiMH. I thought the more recent models all come with Li Ion packs now though?

If Li Ion then my assumption is that it has the same built in balancing circuit in the pack and so it just stops charging once the pack reaches 8.4V even though you have no visual indicator like the DX9 does
Old 09-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also have the DX8 G2. I just leave it plugged in over night. in fact just charged mine last night. but yeah, no way of telling it charging. but u can check if it's done by turning it on and checking the battery meter.

and no it don't glow...
Old 09-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

its 2s lithium ion it says on the battery.

i agree - it does not glow or give indicators of any kind. 8.4v or 8.5v (i've seen 8.5v on the readout) ... was 8.5v an outlier? 8.4v for full charge?
XL Power Specter 700
Old 09-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

oh and I would bump up the battery voltage limit for the alarm. I was on the sim one time and it said battery low. I figured I could fly out a few more min and the thing just turned off on me. good thing it wasn't a real flight just wireless sim.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELI_FUN View Post
oh and I would bump up the battery voltage limit for the alarm. I was on the sim one time and it said battery low. I figured I could fly out a few more min and the thing just turned off on me. good thing it wasn't a real flight just wireless sim.

I just changed my alarm - it was set to 6.4v I set it to 7.2v
HELI_FUN likes this.
XL Power Specter 700
Old 09-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My dx8 g2 don't have any indication for charging either.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
its 2s lithium ion it says on the battery.

i agree - it does not glow or give indicators of any kind. 8.4v or 8.5v (i've seen 8.5v on the readout) ... was 8.5v an outlier? 8.4v for full charge?
8.4v is a full 2 cell charge just like a lipo. There is no problem using the default alarm voltage as these batts are not having any significant current pulled from them, so they dont have to be set to a minimum of 3.7V per cell like our heli lipos do. Just be aware that you won't have a lot of juice left if you allow it to run down all the way to the alarm at the field so pay attention and keep it topped off routinely.

Spek radios can do really strange things if they are allowed to run all the way down and die without a proper power off, so never allow that to happen. Multiple people have reported having to send them in to Spek to have boards replaced in order to get them to work again even after a recharge.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Spek radios can do really strange things if they are allowed to run all the way down and die without a proper power off, so never allow that to happen. Multiple people have reported having to send them in to Spek to have boards replaced in order to get them to work again even after a recharge.

Thats a good argument for raising the alarm voltage right there
XL Power Specter 700
Old 09-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes it happened to my DX6. I let the battery drain completely and then the front "signal" orange LED didn't light up and couldn't connect to my helis. Spektrum said the internal radio component died but it was not too old, had my original receipt scanned, so they did a warranty fix.

That's back when I was using rechargeable AA's. Now I use Pulse Lipo's and I am much happier. I set the voltage alarm to where I have tested with an external battery voltage meter it gets to 3.7v per cell which ends up a tad lower on the actual configuration of the radio.

I still have my cheap $50 Prophet Sport chargers and they work really well, I charge these at 1C and they've lasted a while. Have one on my DX6 which I use mostly for simming (was my first real radio after the RTF on my 200 SRX) and on my DX9.

I haven't really tested how long they go as when they are running low and I have an event or know I will be flying a while I just top them off, but it was constant recharging with the AA's. I also exchange them between radios if I know I don't want to charge and the other pack is fully charged. Or if I had my DX9 topped off and won't use it for a while and just sim and use my DX6.
fiddle likes this.
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sometimes when I charge, even overnight, it just doesn't charge or actually loses some charge. This happened the other day when I was flying the next day. It was at 7.5v in the morning when it was at like 8.1v the night before. Like it was discharging instead of charging. I was till able to fly, but only because it wasn't an all day thing.

Anyone else have these problems?
XL Power Specter 700
Old 11-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddle View Post
Sometimes when I charge, even overnight, it just doesn't charge or actually loses some charge. This happened the other day when I was flying the next day. It was at 7.5v in the morning when it was at like 8.1v the night before. Like it was discharging instead of charging. I was till able to fly, but only because it wasn't an all day thing.

Anyone else have these problems?
I made up my own chargers as I got the DX9 used without one. I even have one with a lighter plug for the car. The radio's plug is a little odd size but can be found. You can put in anything from 12V-16V DC and the internal circuit will do the rest. I replaced the original with a Pulse radio lipo and haven't had any issues. Before the old one was not charging fully or losing a charge as it sat like you are describing.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I changed my DX6 and DX9 batteries for this:

https://www.pulsebattery.com/product...x7s-dx8-dx9-tx

I have a small $50 Prophet Sport 50W charger (the one below seems to be the replacement model, seems like what I have no longer exists)

https://www.horizonhobby.com/prophet...er--p-dync2030

Mine needs a balance board but the charger above has the balance ports on the side of the charger. So then you just need an adapter cable:

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...ProdID=SPM6834

The battery lasts much longer and you can get a satisfying beep and assurance your battery is balance charged. You just need to change the battery chemistry on the radio. I played around a bit as there is a bit of error on the measurement of the voltage so for my 3.8v per cell target I took my battery out until I measured that externally and set my alarm on the radio accordingly. Haven't had an issue since. You can of course also use your actual charger you use for your flight packs but I already had that charger and it released my charger if I wanted to charge the battery pack at the same time I charged flight packs.
HELI_FUN likes this.
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
Old 11-13-2019, 08:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting - the battery in mine is Lithium / Ion ... not NiMH. I have put this battery on my list!
XL Power Specter 700
Old 11-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought the Turnigy one and had to return because there’s no way to charge it with the DX8G2. I can’t charge it externally either due to the non-XH balance connector on it. The Pulse lipo you posted does seem to have the XH balance connector to charge externally though.
Thi-rex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2019, 11:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thi-rex View Post
I bought the Turnigy one and had to return because thereís no way to charge it with the DX8G2. I canít charge it externally either due to the non-XH balance connector on it. The Pulse lipo you posted does seem to have the XH balance connector to charge externally though.

Thatís why I got the Pulse. Itís the only one I could find that has both cables for charging with any charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fiddle likes this.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
Thatís why I got the Pulse. Itís the only one I could find that has both cables for charging with any charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the same. You don't charge with the radio plugged in to the wall? Takes a while but I just leave mine overnight. No issues. Taking the pack out is too cumbersome to me.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in