Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

welcome to the club
mba83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2015, 10:19 AM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

I finally got around to doing this mod on my DX9. Very nice! Now I have 14 feet and 9 inches of adhesive backed Teflon left.

If a few of you guys need some for your TX, shoot me a PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want more tension w this mod without having it become sticky again then you can add some one way bearing grease to the slider and the Teflon. I did it this morning while I was switching some switches around and was able to get mine back to tight like I like my throttle. Just a lil fyi if it wasn't mentioned before.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyon187 View Post
If you want more tension w this mod without having it become sticky again then you can add some one way bearing grease to the slider and the Teflon. I did it this morning while I was switching some switches around and was able to get mine back to tight like I like my throttle. Just a lil fyi if it wasn't mentioned before.
That's what I do, but I use Tri-Flow grease. Works really well!
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

All,

Just an FYI. 3M #63 is a widely available 1" wide, 3 mil thick top quality adhesive-backed Teflon Tape.

As someone else above volunteered, I'll send you as much as you'll need if you send me a sase.

PM me if interested.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:28 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been flying with the friction strap entirely removed for years and you cant get any buttery smooth than that! I think if I felt any friction on the collective it would throw me off big time lol! The bearings in my new dx7 gen2 are smooth but not overly loose so that is all the friction I need.
Rush fan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't believe I waited so long to do this. Butter smooth with the teflon tape attached. Perfect!
Old 08-24-2016, 08:05 AM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just did the Teflon tape mod to my DX8 and DX9 throttle. What a difference!!! Worth every second to mod! Smooth like butter now!

I used CS Hyde 15-5a Skived PTFE Teflon Fluoropolymer tape.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default An even better ultimate Teflon mod

Ever since I read this thread the first time almost three years ago, I made the mod in my DX18G1 using three different types of thin teflon sheets. All gave excellent results in terms of providing smoothness to throttle stick, in comparison to what we get using only bare metal and grease.

I did this mod to several friends, owners of DX18s and DX9s with same good results.

Even though I was very happy with this mod, I've decided to try something a little different...

A friend of mine manufactures special parts using 100% Polytetrafluoroethylene, also known as PTFE or by its commercial name of Teflon.

On a little piece of a PTFE sheet he gave me, I made a strip in replacement identically to the original metal friction strip on the throttle stick and I installed it in my DX18G1.

The result is simply WOW!!! It made a huge difference in terms of smoothness! It is even better than what I thought was perfect when I used thin Teflon layers. It is hard to describe in words, but the throttle is now like it had ball bearing gimbals. Simply awesome, and possibly a definitive solution.

Carlos

Edit: The thickness of material I used is 2mm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teflon Mod #1.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	672285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teflon Mod #2.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	672286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teflon Mod #3.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	672287  

Last edited by CZorzella; 09-20-2016 at 07:34 AM..
Old 09-19-2016, 07:13 AM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZorzella View Post
the throttle is now like it had ball bearing gimbals.
I believe that it does have ball bearing gimbals :-)

But your mod would certainly be a huge improvement over stock. Great photos and a very nice mod.

Paul
SkidMan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, I did the mod this weekend on my brand new DX8 G2. I used some 3M adhesive pad that you normally use to make heavy piece of fourniture easily movable...it works perfect!

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1318
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	672330
Old 09-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasouthoffrance View Post
Hi, I did the mod this weekend on my brand new DX8 G2. I used some 3M adhesive pad that you normally use to make heavy piece of fourniture easily movable...it works perfect!

Attachment 672330

Lucas, what is the thickness of the material you used?

Carlos
Old 09-20-2016, 12:15 AM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ciao Carlos, it is 1 mm thick.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:19 AM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasouthoffrance View Post
Please post a picture of the back of the package showing the product number.
curmudgeon is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2016, 07:29 AM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like available only in France.

Item: "Lot de 2 pastilles en plastique haute densité (ptfe) 3M"

http://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produ...issante&xtcr=6

Barcode: 3100344971022
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot - 20_09_2016 , 09_25_53.png
Views:	263
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	672481  
Old 09-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

PTFE sheets sourcing company in USA: http://www.eplastics.com/ptfe_sheet

They don't carry the same thickness of the material I used which is 2mm (0.0787"). They offer only 0.060" or 0.093". I'd rather select the thicker material because it is easy to make it thinner, if necessary.

PTFE Sheet and Film 0.060" PTFE Sheet 12" X 12"
http://www.eplastics.com/PTFENAT0-060X12X12

PTFE Sheet and Film 0.093" PTFE Sheet 12" X 12"
http://www.eplastics.com/PTFENAT0-093X12X12

Carlos
Old 09-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Ever since I read this thread the first time almost three years ago, I made the mod in my DX18G1 using three different types of thin teflon sheets. All gave excellent results in terms of providing smoothness to throttle stick, in comparison to what we get using only bare metal and grease.

I did this mod to several friends, owners of DX18s and DX9s with same good results.

Even though I was very happy with this mod, I've decided to try something a little different...

A friend of mine manufactures special parts using 100% Polytetrafluoroethylene, also known as PTFE or by its commercial name of Teflon.

On a little piece of a PTFE sheet he gave me, I made a strip in replacement identically to the original metal friction strip on the throttle stick and I installed it in my DX18G1.

The result is simply WOW!!! It made a huge difference in terms of smoothness! It is even better than what I thought was perfect when I used thin Teflon layers. It is hard to describe in words, but the throttle is now like it had ball bearing gimbals. Simply awesome, and possibly a definitive solution.

Carlos

Edit: The thickness of material I used is 2mm
I don't have teflon but have some HDPE (might be uhmw, but I don't think so). I made a test piece like yours, 2mm thick. I find that with that for some reason I feel the teeth on the throttle gimbal much more than I do when using a clean metal strap. It's not sticky but it has a more ratchey feel than the metal strap for some reason. I take it that you do NOT find that to be the case with the teflon? If only HH had given the DX18 both a smooth and toothed surface on the throttle gimbal, like the DX8....
Old 09-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can find small pieces of this stuff in just about any thickness you want on Ebay or Amazon. Just use "2mm PTFE plastic sheet" or whatever thickness you want as a search term.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-2mm-New-...-/291403650406
Old 09-24-2016, 05:45 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea View Post
I find that with that for some reason I feel the teeth on the throttle gimbal much more than I do when using a clean metal strap. It's not sticky but it has a more ratchey feel than the metal strap for some reason. I take it that you do NOT find that to be the case with the teflon?

Same here. At first, I also had the same ratchey feeling you described. Then I added some tri-flow grease and I made minor adjustment in the screw that releases tension and the "ratchey" feeling went away.

Carlos
Old 09-24-2016, 08:49 PM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Same here. At first, I also had the same ratchey feeling you described. Then I added some tri-flow grease and I made minor adjustment in the screw that releases tension and the "ratchey" feeling went away.

Carlos
Ahh, ok, thanks.

FWIW, in the meantime I tried something else that so far I am very pleased with. I happened to have a thin sheet of Teflon that is 0.25mm thick. I cut a piece and used heat shrink to attach it to the metal strip as others have done but it had the same ratchety feeling. I removed the shrink tubing but left the Teflon in place. The teeth on the throttle cam grabbed it so that it slides with the cam as if it were adhesive backed and it was a big improvement. I still wasn't happy with the available throttle tension however and wanted more. I found another sheet (Teflon I think but maybe PE) that is 1.25mm thick. I cut a piece of that to match the metal strip and fastened it under the strip with the same screws. Now the thin sheet slides against the thick sheet and, because of the addition of the thick sheet, the throttle tension can be adjusted higher. I played with it quite a bit before I put the radio back together because I was concerned that the thin sheet would move around but it seems to stay put. I just flew various aircraft (both helis and airplanes) for about an hour and it felt great! I find it to be very smooth with no sticking whatsoever. I personally like the higher throttle tension and there should be virtually no wear with Teflon sliding on Teflon. The photo below shows the end result.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160924_123624.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	673020  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in