Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for sharing your experiences with this mod, It looks really nice, Mejmea.

Carlos
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZorzella View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences with this mod, It looks really nice, Mejmea.

Carlos
I'm glad you linked to this thread from the Dx18 thread on RCGroups, otherwise I wouldn't have found it!
Old 09-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #103 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

I tried putting the Teflon tape on both sides and that didn't work out well. It had more resistance than just tape on the rocker. I don't recall people suggesting putting tape on the metal strip side. Maybe I should try that instead; however, I'm reluctant to play with it anymore after it got worse adding it to the metal strip.

Neat idea replacing the metal strip
Old 09-26-2016, 12:52 AM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, i think the Teflon tape on the metal side is the original proposed solution that opens this thread, no?

And I think that it is what most people are doing.

Or did I misunderstand your comment?
Old 09-26-2016, 05:57 AM   #105 (permalink)
Registered Users

Putting Teflon tape on the metal side as the original proposed solution that opens this thread still is a very efficient, easy and very cheap solution to implement. Replacing the metal strip as I described is also a nice mod.

Any of these mods will remove the sticky feeling of metal strip+grease that comes stock with our radios and will provide smoothest and most responsive experience of throttle stick.

Carlos
Old 09-28-2016, 01:24 PM   #106 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco66 View Post
Well, i think the Teflon tape on the metal side is the original proposed solution that opens this thread, no?

And I think that it is what most people are doing.

Or did I misunderstand your comment?
No, you understood correctly. Not that it makes a difference but I'm doing the mod on a Futaba T18SZ on the rocker side and not sure why I didn't apply it to the metal strip. I think I saw a pic that way, possibly from another thread.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:54 AM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just done on my DX8, that's a great mod !!!
Thank you.
Jibeji is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2016, 02:14 AM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spektrum TX Teflon Smooth Throttle Mod

I wanted to chime in here for a moment. I am by far NOT a pro when it comes to RC of any type. But I am a professional in other things like home and car audio, many types of electronics, pcb circuitry, soldering, welding, automotive repair and performance, 1:64 collectible cars, model building, and weapons systems. My recent reading of this thread got me thinking about my normal gunsmithing duties when it's a trigger job. Normally for a trigger job, there's a spring pressure which can be optimized by smoothing all sorts of contact materials and utilizing different springs with custom quenching and rates. With that, I think I may have stumbled on a way to further improve the results of this modification (if you'd call it that) of course lubrication is one of the most important things to consider when dealing with moving parts, metal or not, if there is moving contact, there will be friction, and therefore drag is created. To remove the most friction as possible, but still maintain the proper operation and function of a part or system.

What I did was break out my trust Fordham tool and got to work. I removed the rear of the case via 8 screws. Then I removed the spring that is held on to the throttle gimbal controlling the pressure and drag of that gimbal just like you guys did here. The next step will probably perplex some of you, but most with mechanical knowledge or weapons knowledge will know exactly. I cleaned up the entire spring without deforming it's slight bend angles. Then I took out the Flitz polish compound I use on my glock and striker fired pistol trigger jobs and proceeded to create the same mirror finish on the contact side of the spring as well as he the hump on the side next to it for the 'ratcheting' effect side. When I found my small tube of dielectric grease, I realized that as long as it's worked on my Surefire weapons lights O-rings, and has been further recommended for the use of lubrication of electrical contact points, connectors, and plastic rejuvenation, I figured instead of using my synthetic lube to try it out for a while. Well, it's been a month and so far it's still better than factory perfect. It's like moving the gimbal on ball bearings and glass. Super smooth, super precise, there's barely enough drag there to keep a perfect slow or fast movement, it doesn't stick at all like it did from factory. I think the method I used works great. And will yield the same results, maybe even better for some depending on the type of feel you are looking for in the throttle. I wanted to share my experience and what I did. Maybe someone can further improve upon this as well. Cheers fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srREXed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by srREXed View Post
I wanted to chime in here for a moment. I am by far NOT a pro when it comes to RC of any type. But I am a professional in other things like home and car audio, many types of electronics, pcb circuitry, soldering, welding, automotive repair and performance, 1:64 collectible cars, model building, and weapons systems. My recent reading of this thread got me thinking about my normal gunsmithing duties when it's a trigger job. Normally for a trigger job, there's a spring pressure which can be optimized by smoothing all sorts of contact materials and utilizing different springs with custom quenching and rates. With that, I think I may have stumbled on a way to further improve the results of this modification (if you'd call it that) of course lubrication is one of the most important things to consider when dealing with moving parts, metal or not, if there is moving contact, there will be friction, and therefore drag is created. To remove the most friction as possible, but still maintain the proper operation and function of a part or system.

What I did was break out my trust Fordham tool and got to work. I removed the rear of the case via 8 screws. Then I removed the spring that is held on to the throttle gimbal controlling the pressure and drag of that gimbal just like you guys did here. The next step will probably perplex some of you, but most with mechanical knowledge or weapons knowledge will know exactly. I cleaned up the entire spring without deforming it's slight bend angles. Then I took out the Flitz polish compound I use on my glock and striker fired pistol trigger jobs and proceeded to create the same mirror finish on the contact side of the spring as well as he the hump on the side next to it for the 'ratcheting' effect side. When I found my small tube of dielectric grease, I realized that as long as it's worked on my Surefire weapons lights O-rings, and has been further recommended for the use of lubrication of electrical contact points, connectors, and plastic rejuvenation, I figured instead of using my synthetic lube to try it out for a while. Well, it's been a month and so far it's still better than factory perfect. It's like moving the gimbal on ball bearings and glass. Super smooth, super precise, there's barely enough drag there to keep a perfect slow or fast movement, it doesn't stick at all like it did from factory. I think the method I used works great. And will yield the same results, maybe even better for some depending on the type of feel you are looking for in the throttle. I wanted to share my experience and what I did. Maybe someone can further improve upon this as well. Cheers fellas.

So what you basically did, was remove/clear the oxidation layer off the friction metal strip and put dielectric grease on the gimbal.

I wonder how often the polishing process will have to be done; Please keep us informed.

Carlos
Old 12-31-2016, 10:50 AM   #110 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fed-up with my DX9 "stiction" on the throttle... Just tried this mod with three layers. Amazing!!!!! Like a new radio Many thanks to the OP
Old 01-16-2017, 01:28 AM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZorzella View Post
So what you basically did, was remove/clear the oxidation layer off the friction metal strip and put dielectric grease on the gimbal.

I wonder how often the polishing process will have to be done; Please keep us informed.

Carlos

So far so good. Haven't gotten any bad feedback so far. Still just a slippery as the day I did it. I've also been flying a lot of stuff way more often now that I have a working heli and a couple nano QXs.

srREXed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

I joined this club last night with my brand new DX8G2. I bought a NITOFLON No.903UL tape (0.18mm thickness) as someone suggested in this thread and immediately my collective management is improved a lot in the SIM!

It's like heaven now. Please do this the day you buy a new radio!
starryalley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017, 04:30 PM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone that has used plumbers teflon tape, how does it hold up over time? I work in the oil field and I have some teflon tape that is more commercial grade! Its called blue monster and is much thicker and stronger than what you would find at a local hardware store!!
ssschmidt4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #114 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssschmidt4 View Post
Anyone that has used plumbers teflon tape, how does it hold up over time? I work in the oil field and I have some teflon tape that is more commercial grade! Its called blue monster and is much thicker and stronger than what you would find at a local hardware store!!
I tried consumer grade teflon tape a long time ago but found that it didn't work well. With thin layers it tended to tear and if you tried to fold it over to make it thicker etc. it would tend to catch/bunch. I can't tell you that I have experience with Blue Monster but while it's thicker, it is still designed to conform to threads so it's hard for me to imagine that it would be a lot different. If you've got it it's easy enough to try though, and since the whole "throttle feel" thing is very individual who knows, maybe it would be perfect for you!
Old 04-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spektrum TX Teflon Smooth Throttle Mod

There are plenty of cheap and proper material which are a lot better than plumbers tape for you to do this mod. Do it once do it right never do it again!

Carlos
Old 04-15-2017, 07:47 AM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

I took transmitter apart and cleaned off original grease (barely any on it) with alcohol! I applied a thin layer of Dry Fluid Gear Lube to plastic and also the spring. Problem solved! Very smooth collective stick with no stickyness on any range of motion fast or slow!!! I will see how it holds up! Even if I have to re lube every flying season I am cool with that!!!
ssschmidt4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great idea to try. I am going to have to get a bottle of that Dry Lube stuff. Both of my Transmitters have the sticky sided Teflon tape solution and are holding up fine.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:26 AM   #118 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok. Decided to try this on my Dx8 G2 as the pitch was jerking. My wife had teflon sheet and I had heatshrink. All ready to go but I had to go out in 30 minutes to fetch chips. Decided to start if only to get the case open. Whole job done in 22 minutes and what a difference. Considering the time it took it has improved pitch controll 100%.
Thanks for sharing. If you are sat on the fence reguarding this mod Doo It. You won't be disappointed.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

I honestly think they should do the "Teflon modification" or something similar to it on every single transmitter (including the simulator transmitters) right at the factory. I have not seen a single transmitter that would not benefit from this modification.
curmudgeon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #120 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
I honestly think they should do the "Teflon modification" or something similar to it on every single transmitter (including the simulator transmitters) right at the factory. I have not seen a single transmitter that would not benefit from this modification.

Many airplane pilots prefer the ratchet feel for throttle as it helps them set a consistent throttle position for an approach.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in