Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Whiplash

MA Whiplash Miniature Aircraft Whiplash Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

From my understanding there are lots of shafts in stock. Even if that's not true getting main shafts made is a easy task. There is also a large supply of tail booms.

That being said the way I see what will stop Whiplashs from being fly able shortly will be the tail gears, one of which is already out of stock.

So if cost is can be 25 or less each I would buy up a bunch.

Last edited by Rudy; 03-02-2014 at 09:45 AM..
Rudy is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
From my understanding there are lots of shafts in stock. Even if that's not true getting main shafts made is a easy task. There is also a large supply of tail booms.

That being said the way I see what will stop Whiplashs from being fly able shortly will be the tail gears, one of which is already out of stock.

So if cost is can be 25 or less each I would buy up a bunch.

What I'm seeing out of stock everywhere is the tail gears.

Where do you find the supply of tail booms? My sources are all showing out of stock.
777ER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I live in the UK and have been sourcing parts for all over the world in a bit of a mad frenzy to get some stock in the spares box.
Managed to get a couple of main gears and a few each of the tail gears apart from the 131-17.
I have one spare but would be interested in any available from other means.
---- JR Vibe SGE12 Hiroki Ito Scorpion Tribunus 200A 4525 Ultimate Spirit FBL—-Minicopter Diabolo Pyro750-56 Kosmik200 Vbar v5.3 ----- T Rex 700N DFC OS105HZR Spirit FBL --- RJX Vector 700 Pyro750-56 Comp Kosmik 200 ——
malc1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm looking into producing some -17 and -18 gears in nylon and carbon steel. Without these gears, the rest of the parts are useless. Raptor 90 booms should fit and the torque tubes are just arrow shafts. Main shafts are easy and main gears are simple as well, not that you strip them much. Spindles will be a bit trickier but not impossible. Pitch arms should be doable, head blocks are hard. Main frames are easy, bearings are easy, tail output shaft is easy.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

You make em I will buy em. Love the steel on nylon idea.
sargentfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 131-17 anyone??

Hi together,

I am looking to get some nylon-bevels made too. I have a guy who would make me a couple 131-17 shaft-side-bevels. The bevels only, the screws you can get at a hardware-store, not worth sending them around.
Ron has the 131-18 tt-side-bevels in stock, I do not want to interfere with his business.

It will take at least until Easter. Shipping would be from Europe, should be approx. 7,-- Euros worldwide with registered mail, but have to check that back.
Payment would be via paypal in Euros. Price is not sure yet.

Anyone intrested? Please let me know and I will see what I - or better my friend - can do.

Kind regards
George
OldGasser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow I haven't even flow my whiplash and I am one tail strike from being grounded. I am in on some tail gears as well. Let us know how muck the cost will be.

Thanks
Keith Smith, RCHN #231
Spartan, Synergy E7, Legend FBL, Goblin 700, Whiplash E, Furion 6s,GAUI R5, Furion 450s, Xcell 60 , T-REX 600s, T-REX 450s, 300X, 130X, MCPXs. I'll fly what I want to fly. You do the same.
flyul1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

131-17 out of metal. Wonder what the price would be?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rons and HeliProz MT both have -18 in stock. I ordered a couple more and now have 6 of those.

The -17 is out everywhere. That one looks like you *might* be able to make one with home shop tools - if you have a good drill press and maybe a small arbor press.
  1. Take your crashed -17, undo the setscrews, and use an arbor press to push the aluminum collar out.
  2. Order the blank that fastflyer linked to (SDP-SI.com A 1M 4-Y24024)
  3. Cut off the shank.
  4. Cross drill for the 2 set screws (have to rig up a jig to hold the gear)
  5. Drill out the bore to fit the aluminum collar
  6. Press the old collar into the new gear with your arbor press.
There is some trickiness... you need to be as accurate as possible boring out that center hole so you don't end up with vibes. Also I'm fairly sure that how they made them originally was to press in the collar, and then cross drill and tap. the result is that both the collar and the plastic of the gear is threaded. We cant do that since there will be no way to guarantee that the threads in the plastic will line up with the old collar so either you drill the cross hole oversize and rely on only the collar thread, or we have to find new collar blanks (better option?).

The same process above could be used to make the tail drive spur gear with a 2MYZ1002706 blank.

EDIT: For those of you still trying to stock up - it looks like HeliProz MT still has assembled tail drive transmissions (131-34) and tail cases (131-129) in stock. Pricey but you get the housing, all the gears, shafts and bearings.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi flyul1, Hi mr008

I do not know the cost yet. I will have to buy some machine-time and see how my friend and I get ahead and what costs per gear will be.

First we will try with the -17 in nylon to be able to estimate the costs for the -18 in steel and do a testrun.

Both bevels in steel would transmit the shock of a crash to the maingear, which I think is not a good idea, or one of the steel-bevels would break which is expensive. One steel-blank is about 8 to 9 times a nylon-blank, manufacturing not included.

As jharkin said, the -17 in nylon could be done by a somewhat skilled hand too if all else fails and the -18 in steel would last a long time when combined with a -17 nylon that does the breaking in crashes. I think this combination would keep everybody flying for some time to come.

Kind regards
George
Old 03-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree.That sounds great George. Were not done yet.I ordered 4 of the 131-18s from HeliProz MT. They canceled 2 of them as out of stock and Rons shows out of stock as well.

Thanks
Keith Smith, RCHN #231
Spartan, Synergy E7, Legend FBL, Goblin 700, Whiplash E, Furion 6s,GAUI R5, Furion 450s, Xcell 60 , T-REX 600s, T-REX 450s, 300X, 130X, MCPXs. I'll fly what I want to fly. You do the same.
flyul1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm thinking a steel 17 plus a nylon 18 will be the way to go. Then you don't need to worry about the collar and there's still a sacrificial point.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

After having a -17 explode , I found the steel gears and modified them for both gassers.
Zero TT problems in 2013 running the steel. This was shared with MA but never implemented, a shame.

Yes steel is more but it won't fail!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Metal TT Gears First Install WEB.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	492265  

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looks good to me as long as everything is 100% accurate so we don't get any additional unwanted vibes.
Still interested.....
---- JR Vibe SGE12 Hiroki Ito Scorpion Tribunus 200A 4525 Ultimate Spirit FBL—-Minicopter Diabolo Pyro750-56 Kosmik200 Vbar v5.3 ----- T Rex 700N DFC OS105HZR Spirit FBL --- RJX Vector 700 Pyro750-56 Comp Kosmik 200 ——
Old 03-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I made mine, stock was turned to a perfect fit, emulating the tail shaft, a slow but accurate way to mod the gears. Runout was perfect

TRM Power
Old 03-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Superb then.
Are you going to make some more then?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm out, I have shared the blank part numbers with everyone to do as they wish.

In my garage, I have an old manual mill and lathe. The project took days to complete.

TRM Power
Old 03-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK Tom,understandable.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi all of you,

After looking deeper into the bevel-manufacturing and making a few calls, I decided to give the belt-solution an other look.
I guess I found one, check it out here & please comment.

The all-steel-gears-solution would
- be quite expensive: 4 pieces plus 20% import VAT would be approx 50,-- bucks for the material alone
not accoulting for manufacturing and shipping them to you.
- transfer the shock to the maingear of which we do not have a suitable replacement yet. So not a good idea, I think.

The steel-nylon-gear-combination would require a constant supply of nylon gears.
This would become problematic too, earlier or later.

If I run out of bevels, my whiplash will be belt too just like all my other models.
Why pursue an expensive, custom-manufactured solution and worry about parts supply, if there is a low cost alternative with stock-parts? Never was happy with TTs.

Kind regards & happy flying
George
Old 03-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've ordered some blanks to play around with and I'll be modelling some gears in the next few weeks. If it is viable, I will be getting a run of 200-300 gears made and distributed to anyone who needs them. It is likely to be a steel -17 and a nylon -18 to make manufacturing easier. This will mean it is slightly more expensive to begin with but you will only strip the -18 gears.

I believe getting main gears cut will be a very simple task and could be achieved earlier than tail gears. I will look into sourcing delrin and hardened shafts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in