Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDS Helicopters General Discussion > KDS Electronics

KDS Electronics KDS Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default KDS N630HV and N650HV problem.

Hi, i was buy new servos for my Agile 5.5, because my savox and futaba servos are old and the have to many flights. I bought KDS N650HV and KDS N630HV servos. This servos are new and never flown. My setup on agile is ESC Himodel Ice series 150A, BEC CC BEC PRO 20A, BRAIN +2x DSMX satelit and KDS BL 4020-1100KV motor (old servos FUTABA S9255 and Savox 1290MG 140 flights and i never had problem) When i put new KDS servos to Agile with recommended working servo frequency, i found a problem. When i move with PITCH up and down, the servos some times stop move and DSMX satelit light off for few second. I had try change power voltage from 6V to 7,4V but i have still this problem. One of servos stop moving and started smoking. When i change power supply from CC BEC PRO to 2s lipo the problem is still here. Sorry for my English, but you can look at video and saw this problem. Any idea? I mean this servos are very poor Quality and i spend to much money for it

KDS N630HV and N650HVservo problem on Agile 5.5 (0 min 22 sec)
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

On your flybarless system you have the transmitter center at zero's for center stick? I've setup a Ikon before with that same problem and found it to be just that. I don't think your problem is with the servos since they are doing the same thing.
gamedoc2004 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes i have calibrated stick range for brain FBL system. I have 100 percent (green pole) for end and 0 for center of stick. So i mean this is not my problem. Any other idea?
Old 03-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have new experience, i was trying KDS servos on other FBL system BRAIN and Microbeast on other helis of my friend with DSMX and DSM2 satelites and problem was still here. When i was changing satelites for standart receiver AR7000 the receiver sometimes shortly blinking one, but servos donīt stop moving and still working. I have only 2 KDS N630HV and 1x KDS N650HV, because one KDS N630HV was burning. Maybe is possible that all servos can put down also standart receiver, but i canīt try this....
I never saw this problem on servos other MARKS, so something is wrong with my KDS servos.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am axperiencing exactly the same problem with those servos and a mini v bar.
willwaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

In order to properly address this you have to make several tests but due to your description it seems to be a BEC issue, do you have a KG BEC, if not try using a battery directly to your receiver and test servos.
joag is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone made progress with this? I'm setting up a new Agile 5.5 combo and have the same issue with an Ikon FBL controller and two DSMX satellites. As I move the collective up and down, it simply stops for awhile and during this time the satellite LEDs go dark, then it all goes back to working. (Nothing has smoked for me however.)

Things I have tried:

Adjusting BEC voltage - 8V, 7V, 6V, 5.1V - no improvement.
Replace BEC with battery flight pack - no improvement.
Reduced servo frame rate from spec'd 333Hz to 200Hz, 120Hz, and "Analog" 50 Hz - no improvement.
Disconnect all servos except one - no improvement.
(And it doesn't matter which one is left connected.)
Dave H. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 12:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, this is interesting. I to am experiencing the exact issue. I am finishing a 5.5 with a ikon, YGE 120 lv and the KDS HV servos. Spent most of the day testing. Went different voltage out of the BEC, same issue. By passed the ESC with a 2s receiver pack, same issue. Actually did all the exact stuff Dave H did.

What the heck. All my other helis have Ikons with zero issues. I have a Spartan Vortex I might throw in tomorrow and see if it works. My friend has a Spartan in 5.5 and he did not hav an issue. Works great. This is my first KDS, hope we can resolve the issue.

Please post if anyone resolves the issue and I will post if I am too successful with the spartan.
randy45c is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have the same problem, works well with spartan, didn t work with mini vbar, works well with ebar2 ... the best thing is to change those servos
lorenb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I suggest trying a different set of servos. At least to test with to see if the functionality works.
RedJoE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

RedJoE

I learned this morning that my buddy was working with KDS HV servos and a Mini Vbar and had the same issues. He removed the KDS servos installed some BK servos and the issue was resolved.

At this point for some reason the KDS HV servos will not play well with Ikon or mini Vbar. Must be a bus compatibility issue. To the best of my knowledge the KDS HV servos will work with BeastX, Spartan and naturally the Ebar FBL units.

Last edited by randy45c; 08-13-2014 at 04:03 PM..
Old 08-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think these guys are pointing out that the servos won't even work with KDS's FBL unit as well. I sure hope KDS helps these guys out with this. - Nevermind, Dave had sent me a private email about this, appears he was having issues with the KDS FBL unit not functioning correctly. Now that I think about it, seems like it is an issue with servos and other FBL units.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

i was sending KDS servos back to KDS Schenzen factory and the final result from KDS is: servos are OK. So no money refund and i had still problem with this servos. One of my friend try this servos with microbeast and jeti dublex and he have no problem with this servos, all servos works.
But i am thinking, this servos are bad, and i will never buy electronics from KDS in future.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

So from what I read here, if you look up the KDS Servo in it's High School Yearbook, it reads, "Does not play well with others!"

To summarize:

KDS Servos WORK with the following FBL systems:
BeastX
Spartan Vortex
KDS Ebar
Full size Vbar

KDS Servos DO NOT work with the following FBL systems:
iKon
Mini Vbar

It would be interesting to find out two different things:

1. What is it about the KDS servos that keep them from being compatible with all FBL systems.

2. What is different in the BeastX, V-Bar, and Vortex, that they are not affected by the "Peculiar Traits" of the KDS servos.
The Destructor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I spoke to a KDS sponsored pilot and he said you absolutely CANNOT run the KDS HV servos with a IKON or a Mini Vbar. They are not compatible with the FBLs bus.

I installed a Spartan Vortex nano in mine and it performs and fly's great so far.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is a power system problem. Some servos require a lot higher momentary current than others and probably KDS fall in this category. The Vortex has large internal capacitors that keep the sats alive during these momentary power dips caused by the servos. Other FBL systems may have smaller capacitors and not last as long. However the bottom line is that if your power systems is stronger you would be less reliant on how well the FBL system is designed to cope with this.

Angelos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

The amazing thing (to me) is that I hadn't even attached the rotor head yet. Just a single cyclic servo pushing on the swash plate alone consistently shuts the system down. I'm leaning towards some MKS servos as a replacement, as they seem to have a good track record. I'm still hoping to get it flying for a fun fly next weekend but time is getting a little tight.
Dave H. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like KDS needs to update their documentation so people don't purchase these servos thinking they will work. Is KDS going to support these customers that can't use the product?
Old 08-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know if I buy the power argument. Think about it. You got a servo plugged into a FBL controller, and use an external 2 cell flight pack. Inside the FBL controller it's a simple power bus, so in reality your servo is getting power directly from the flight pack. If it was a power issue, the servo would have to create a huge voltage drop on the flight pack, enough that the receiver browns out. I don't think so. What is probably happening is the servo is incompatible with the way the FBL unit communicates with the servo, nothing to do with power. Sounds like they need to update the firmware on their servos or replace the circuit board on the servos with a compatible chip. In any event selling servos that don't work like this is not good, I defiantly won't be buying any.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow thanks for the info , been hovering over the agile 5.5 combo for a awhile now , looks like I'll scrap that idea and go with barebones
kachur779 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in