Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default Best Head Speed for newbe

I've seen that some have said that a lower head speed isn't as better for a newbee as one would think as it can give you less control.

I've never flow a Trex before but I do find that I like the 3D version (most powerful one) in my Sim as it does seem to give me more power and control to get out of a spot so I'm thinking this makes sense.

So all in all what would most recommend for a good head speed for a beginner.

I've got the V2 coming which will have the 12 & 13T but I also have the 9,10 & 11T kit coming as well.

Last edited by WBFAir; 03-02-2008 at 07:06 PM..
WBFAir is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You do want a higher headspeed, 2800---3000 it makes it easier to control especially in the wind. If you prefer to fly in IDLE up on the sim, make it a habbit with the real thing. It is always good to teach yourself how to fly in IDLE up as soon as you feel comfortable, just remember you can't pull down on the collective if you panic you'll smack the ground.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

This whole HS thing sure seems to be coming up a lot lately. One thing to consider when you're dealing with headspeed. A change in main rotor RPM makes a change in TR RPM. 3000 RPM on the head of a V2 is around 12,000 RPM at the tail. 2800 RPM at the head is about 11,200RPM on the tail. That translates to less TR authority.

You also need to think about the motor RPM. with no load, if you wind out an electric motor to it's max RPM, AMP draw will come up and it'll cook itself. You need to balance RPM with load on the motor. You don't want the motor to "lug" but you also don't want it spinning 40,000RPM with almost no load on it.

IMO, I think even the newbies should run at least a 12T pinion on the V2s XL motor. That should get the headspeed up around 2800 or so. The heli will be more stable, the TR will have enough authority to maintain heading and the motor will be sufficiently loaded to provide good efficiency and power.

My $0.02

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

As I just figured out in a previous thread here in Helifreak, too low a head speed will also cause the tail to bounce. Thats the problem I just fixed on mine.

Additionally I have about 150 hours on my 430xl and might have to change the motor due to wear.

I'm going to fly mine like this for a while in the hopes the motor will last awhile..
jverre is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
...I also have the 9,10 & 11T kit coming as well.
Did you check the shaft size on that combo? I assume your running the 430XL? I think that pinion set is for a smaller diameter shaft. I too bought a set by mistake. I think you will be happy with the 12t anyway.
HydroJoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

No I didn't!

Its kinda hard sometimes to find out info like that, I thought all the motors were the same size.

The kit is a TRex 450SE V2 Black with Pro blades.

So that pinion kit is not gonna fit?

Last edited by WBFAir; 03-03-2008 at 06:31 AM..
WBFAir is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
So that pinion kit is not gonna fit?
Nope...but thats ok. Try the 12t that comes with the kit. I don't think you will want a smaller one anyway.
A 12t pinion on the XL will give you a good headspeed with very minimal bogging.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

11T was a bit too slow for me and I'm a total newb. Back to 12T.

JaggedEdge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think it all depends on what your after outta your heli. I've been running an 11 tooth for the last two months at 100 100 100 and I have learned my orientations with it. Now that I'm starting to move past inverted backwards flight and into tic tocs I'm finally gonna try a 12 tooth.

I'm sure the 12 will fly better but I just figured I'd take it easy on my batteries while I didn't need the HS.

There's really no right answer.

But....trust me....I can do some pretty amazing stuff in decent winds with an 11 tooth.

Daniel
Lottomunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottomunch View Post

I'm sure the 12 will fly better but I just figured I'd take it easy on my batteries while I didn't need the HS.
a 12t is not hard at all on the batteries. You may not want to run 100% though. I run 87% flat (havent measured the HS yet) and it's plenty HS for aerobatics. 90-100% seems to be much harder on my batts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in