Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > KDS Multirotor Support > Spyder Multirotor Support

Spyder Multirotor Support Spyder Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sky-Hero Spyder 700mm FPV Setup

Hello,
Just recently I bought my first quad, a Sky-Hero 700mm; I first saw this when I googled, "good looking Multirotors" and saw some images of these; the idea of getting a Drone looking like something out of a Terminator movie made me buy this.

So, when I first got it, the assembly was not so straight forward as the box came without instructions, so I had to rely on the web and some common sense to build this thing, it was not too bad at the end.

Then, I bought a the flight controller, FPV setup and a cheap gimbal to test it out.

Here is the list of components I got,

Quad
- Sky-Hero 700mm X4 Combo
- DJI Naza V2 with GPS
- DJI Mini iOSD (still on its way)
- Spektrum 6-CH Receiver (I wil change it to at least 8-Channels for Gimbal control

FPV Setup:
- Ready Made RC 700 Pro Camera
- InmersionRC 5.8Ghz 600mw Tx with Blueline Clover Antenna
- Uno5800 5.8Ghz Rx with Blueline Clover Antenna
- Carl Zeiss OLED Goggles (This works Impressively well as I commonly use glasses for near/far objects, I was able to fix each eye individually at a precise viewing).
- DJI Gimbal for Phantom (Really cheap, will get Zenmuse once I get some cash in).
- GoPro Hero3

Misc Stuff
- Spektrum DX9 for Tx

This past weekend I got my maiden FPV flight, it was amazing!, I didn't have the GoPro3 with so didn't recorder the flight, but this upcoming weekend I will test this for sure.

Here are some pictures of the build, will post some FPV videos once on my next flight.

Not necessary but I wanted my GPS as close to the C.G. as possible and to avoid damage to the GPS I did this mod,

As the canopy I felt it was somewhat loose on the front, I made a custom mod to it and used the factory "Screw Knobs" (<-- don't know the name for these) and now it's fixed on the front side.

Here is the front camera setup:

Made this Aluminum L plate for fixing the camera mount.

Finish Look with Gimbal on the lower side.

You can see a small hole underneath the FPV Camera hole, I will place a Red LED here, so it can have the ultimate Terminator look, LOL.

FPV Tx mount:

And External Satellite for Spektrum Rx:

And a picture of the rest of the family
(Still unmodified Sky-Hero on the picture)

Goblin 280 - Goblin 380 - Goblin 500 Classic - Goblin Black Nitro 700 - Goblin Urukay.
JPSika is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sky-Hero Spyder 700mm FPV Setup

Looking good!!

Have you flown her much? Can to share your naza gain settings?
Cf400ex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi juan
First of all thanks for taking time to look at my video clip .I dont know if you have seen my other videos part 1 and 3 .I am flying x8 system
And I wonder what gain setting have you set yours til?I woulb be greatfull if you have time to look at thoes videos and share your though sbout them
Incase I have missed something?

Thanks
Mo

Sendt fra min GT-P5210 med Tapatalk
mfbs17 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great frame and component choice, JB!

A quick tip for you. Your fpv antenna needs to be pointing straight up or down, not off to the side.
Mounted like you have it will give you a huge null zone and will cause a loss of signal.

Hate to see you get into a wreck because of it. Relocate it or get yourself a 90* sma connector to put between the antenna and the transmitter.

Another few fpv tips.
All wires twisted, this is important!
Whatever your fvp voltage is, 12 v. or whatever, get a regulator to keep the voltage constant, even if the battery drops beyond service voltage.
Between the regulator and the fpv gear, install an LC noise filter to keep the voltage clean.

All of this will help you out tremendously.
But first of all, do not fly until you fix your antenna positioning.
Good luck!
Old 03-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You might also want to get the GPS puck up higher, that's why it comes with a longer post, you want it above the motors to help reduce electrical interference with the GPS signal. It might work fine as you have it, but it might not.

I will have to say, though, you certainly didn't go half way with your components

Helis I've had: Trex 500, Compass 500, MCPX, Nano CPX
bstanley72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cf400ex View Post
Looking good!!

Have you flown her much? Can to share your naza gain settings?
Thanks
I had my first Maiden flight last Sunday, I consumed 4 batteries, so I had pretty much a sense of it, it flies great, very stable all the times.

My Gains are,
BASIC GAIN: PITCH: 140% ROLL: 140% YAW: 140% VERTICAL: 130%
ATT. GAIN: PITCH 135% ROLL: 135%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfbs17 View Post
Hi juan
First of all thanks for taking time to look at my video clip .I dont know if you have seen my other videos part 1 and 3 .I am flying x8 system
And I wonder what gain setting have you set yours til?I woulb be greatfull if you have time to look at thoes videos and share your though sbout them
Incase I have missed something?

Thanks
Mo

Mo, no problem, I will watch your other two videos tonight and compare your settings with mine. My Gains are,
BASIC GAIN: PITCH: 140% ROLL: 140% YAW: 140% VERTICAL: 130%
ATT. GAIN: PITCH 135% ROLL: 135%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomstoy2 View Post
Great frame and component choice, JB!

A quick tip for you. Your fpv antenna needs to be pointing straight up or down, not off to the side.
Mounted like you have it will give you a huge null zone and will cause a loss of signal.

Hate to see you get into a wreck because of it. Relocate it or get yourself a 90* sma connector to put between the antenna and the transmitter.

Another few fpv tips.
All wires twisted, this is important!
Whatever your fvp voltage is, 12 v. or whatever, get a regulator to keep the voltage constant, even if the battery drops beyond service voltage.
Between the regulator and the fpv gear, install an LC noise filter to keep the voltage clean.

All of this will help you out tremendously.
But first of all, do not fly until you fix your antenna positioning.
Good luck!
Thank you very much for the great tips! I will get a 90 degree connector for the antenna so it can point up or down.

Regarding the filters, this is what I bought, will these help with the noise?
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=326

I will get the voltage regulator asap.

Again, thank you for the great tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanley72 View Post
You might also want to get the GPS puck up higher, that's why it comes with a longer post, you want it above the motors to help reduce electrical interference with the GPS signal. It might work fine as you have it, but it might not.

I will have to say, though, you certainly didn't go half way with your components
Thanks and thank you for the great tip; I just bought DJI Mini OSD, will have it for the weekend and with this I can monitor if the GPS Antennas are being caught, if not, I will raise the neck more so it's above the props.

Goblin 280 - Goblin 380 - Goblin 500 Classic - Goblin Black Nitro 700 - Goblin Urukay.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks a lot for taking time to look on my problem and although i set the gain as yours and set the pack as far as I could way back the craft ,it didnt help much and I made part 4 video which you can see how bad it was or maybe I lost the touch.

Thanks
Mo

Old 03-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks a lot for taking time to look on my problem and although i set the gain as yours and set the pack as far as I could way back the craft ,it didnt help much and I made part 4 video which you can see how bad it was or maybe I lost the touch.

Thanks
Mo

Mo, I saw your 4th video and it seems the same problem I had at the beginning in which props where inverted. Here is a quick video I took to show you what I mean.

Prop placement. (1 min 21 sec)

Once I corrected the props I had inverted, my Quad took off really smooth.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Those are great for the gimbal motors. Put them on the servo leads, as close to the board as possible.
Ensure that the magnet does not swing and that the servo cable to each motor is as free as possible. Damn near all gimbal issues are due to this.

For a regulator I use this. http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Adjustabl...EPIC-Type.html

For an lc filter I use this on on my Hexa. http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Power-Sup...-L-C-Type.html
Beware, I did have one fail, the coil solder failed due to vibration. Since then I have put a small dab of hot glue underneath the coil and the board.

There are other lc filters, some with connectors if you don't want to solder.

Another fpv tip.
If you can, install a cf plate between the vtx and the frame, one without holes in it. This prevents radiation from transmitting towards the other components.
When it comes to fpv, success lies in the details, not power.
The more power you transmit the more radiation screws this up. Everything is a trade off. You have to find a happy medium.
Antenna is everything. I have been out repeatedly 1 mile on 5.8ghz at 200mw. It's all in the antenna, correct components and attention to all the damn little details.

As I mentioned before, twisting all your wires I can not stress enough. Motor leads, braid.

Frame wise, keep high power and low power as separate as possible.

My next build I intend to get rid of all servo style cables and going with CAT style cabling instead. Yes, it makes a huge difference.

Details, details, details,,,
Old 03-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 03-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 03-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=533
Old 03-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I came a cross an issue which I didnt noticed until someone told me to doubel check motor direction in naza which I made a short video which I think there is a glitch in motor 3 and 2 not sure but you might be able to notice it better and how to solve that glitch?Regardin inverted prop video that I saw ,my prop are with 6 mm hole and I doubt that I might be putting the prop the other way round but I am going to doubel check that too to be in safe side.my props are these.

Thanks
Mo

Video part 5
Thanks
Mo

Old 03-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Those are great for the gimbal motors. Put them on the servo leads, as close to the board as possible.
Ensure that the magnet does not swing and that the servo cable to each motor is as free as possible. Damn near all gimbal issues are due to this.

For a regulator I use this. http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Adjustabl...EPIC-Type.html

For an lc filter I use this on on my Hexa. http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Power-Sup...-L-C-Type.html
Beware, I did have one fail, the coil solder failed due to vibration. Since then I have put a small dab of hot glue underneath the coil and the board.

There are other lc filters, some with connectors if you don't want to solder.

Another fpv tip.
If you can, install a cf plate between the vtx and the frame, one without holes in it. This prevents radiation from transmitting towards the other components.
When it comes to fpv, success lies in the details, not power.
The more power you transmit the more radiation screws this up. Everything is a trade off. You have to find a happy medium.
Antenna is everything. I have been out repeatedly 1 mile on 5.8ghz at 200mw. It's all in the antenna, correct components and attention to all the damn little details.

As I mentioned before, twisting all your wires I can not stress enough. Motor leads, braid.

Frame wise, keep high power and low power as separate as possible.

My next build I intend to get rid of all servo style cables and going with CAT style cabling instead. Yes, it makes a huge difference.

Details, details, details,,,
Tom, thank you for this information, your rig is really cool! congrats.
I will follow all your instructions as close as possible, I see now what you mean about twisting wires, I will do this exactly as well as the rest of recommendations.

Will update pictures once I finish doing this or at least every step I take.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I will get this among other stuff from them, thanks for link and time for helping me.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I think I came a cross an issue which I didnt noticed until someone told me to doubel check motor direction in naza which I made a short video which I think there is a glitch in motor 3 and 2 not sure but you might be able to notice it better and how to solve that glitch?Regardin inverted prop video that I saw ,my prop are with 6 mm hole and I doubt that I might be putting the prop the other way round but I am going to doubel check that too to be in safe side.my props are these.

Thanks
Mo

Video part 5
Thanks
Mo

Mo, I saw your Part 5 video, everything seems in order, is it possible to take it to anyone near you who flies quads regularly? I did this with mine as I was having similar issue and the guy solved my problem in a couple of minutes.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks juan ,most of the guys that I know from the club are flying fast wing and there are 3 which are new in heli and I have also spoke with someone in nearest town
And he didnt have time .but I think I have found the main problem which is after seeing your prop video demonstration for several times and I have found out that my bottom prop are in wrong position that mean upside down than the other way roundshould be .
In another forum i have been told that my motor nr. Is not correct meaning that I have got to set the motor nr. According to naza chart(eg. ?right arm motor 1 at top and motor 5 at bottom).
I ll get back to you as soon as I return from holiday in I taly with my family to let you know about the progress that I have made ( finger cross).thanks again for taking time to resolve my issues.

Thanks
Mo

Old 03-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks juan ,most of the guys that I know from the club are flying fast wing and there are 3 which are new in heli and I have also spoke with someone in nearest town
And he didnt have time .but I think I have found the main problem which is after seeing your prop video demonstration for several times and I have found out that my bottom prop are in wrong position that mean upside down than the other way round should be .
In another forum i have been told that my motor nr. Is not correct meaning that I have got to set the motor nr. According to naza chart(eg. ?right arm motor 1 at top and motor 5 at bottom).
I ll get back to you as soon as I return from holiday in I taly with my family to let you know about the progress that I have made ( finger cross).thanks again for taking time to resolve my issues.

Thanks
Mo

Mo,
Regarding the motor position, all top Motors M1, M2, M3, and M4 Should rotate Counterclock wise. All your bottom Motors M5, M6, M7 and M8 should rotate Clockwise.

I'm almost sure that correcting the prop positioning your heli will fly.
In case it still doesn't, what you can try is disconnect all four bottom motors, and configure your heli as X4, then see if it lifts, if it does, then the culprit will e on the lower motors.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice thread! :-) I also bought this combo - it's built but am waiting for my lipo's... Have flown it with a bunch of 3s lipo's but it needs a LOT of weight on the rear to get the CG right (and I don't even have my gimbal on yet... What do you do to get the CG right with the gimbal? I find that the lipo need to be to the rear past the carbon mount...
Henlo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Henlo!
Tell you the truth I just placed the Gimbal up front, mounted the GoPro and had no issues, probably when you place the new battery on the rear side you will get proper C.G.

I think I will remove this Gimbal as it's pretty cheap one and is banking everytime I turn the quad, which doesn't work as I expected, prob. will get a Zenmuse 2D version which is cheaper than the new one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in