Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > KDS Multirotor Support > Spyder Multirotor Support

Spyder Multirotor Support Spyder Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sky Hero Spyder 700 Kit build

I should have started this thread with pictures...but it is too late for that so I am going to start this thread with an in progress.

The instructions that came with the kit were not present and thanks to JPSika and TJ at Xfly, I got a lot of help finding documents and advice to make this build a reality. I can't finish until I get my receiver on Monday. Where to start...

What is going into my quad build.

Sky Hero Spyder 700 kit (frame, 4 motors 4 composite blades, 4 esc.
Spektrum DX9 transmitter
Spektrum AR8000 receiver
Spektrum TM1000 telemetry module
Spektrum flight pack voltage sensor
Naza V2 with GPS
BTU module
6S Pulse 5000 mAh 22.2v (35C) LiPO battery
6S Pulse 6000 mAh 22.2v (35C) LiPO battery
HITEC X1ACPlus multi charger

I plan on taking the instructions from the web and updating them for my experience. One of the biggest "issues" if I can call it that, is that when I got the kit there were a number of separate bags and while some are easy to identify where they go in the build - others were not even marked. I hope this will help others. Also I plan on putting in the CG photo that was shared with me (not mine, but from another poster on the web) but so it is all in one place.

Tools for the build:

Solder station
Loctite
2.0, 2.5, 3.0 hex wrenches
shrink wrap tubing (to secure bullet connectors)
Heat gun (to shrink the wrap)
mounting tape that came with the NAZA and additional 3M dual sided servo tape for other items.
Reamer ( I had one hole that I needed to enlarge on the inertia plate.

I am not rushing the build so doesn't look like I have accomplished much but the motor mount/shrink tube for bullet.

I hope that the performance of the motors is as impressive as they appear during the build. Hopefully the open motor compartment on the bottom (photo 3) will add to the cooling of the motor and ESC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0238.jpg (76.2 KB, 596 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0237.jpg (97.9 KB, 589 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0236.jpg (80.7 KB, 498 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0235.jpg (97.0 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0232.jpg (84.5 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0234.jpg (87.6 KB, 352 views)
Almondsaz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Here are some photographs of the numerous screw/washer/misc hardware bags.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0228.jpg (120.9 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0229.jpg (126.6 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0230.jpg (115.1 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0231.jpg (115.8 KB, 130 views)
Old 03-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Back Up Documentation

So here is the original "build exploded view" or "Orange Sheet" for the Spyder - the screws have changed a bit from the original release so Sky Hero is in the process of updating this chart.

I have attached the current version of the assembly instructions (I will update with the screw/bag notations or special build notes) **will have to update and compress exceeds the 2.5MB limit

Added the current Naza M V2 with GPS Manual

Added the current DJI BTU manual

Identification of the CG point - from the web
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 474749_474466699300181_55060180_o.jpg (49.3 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.9 KB, 336 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NAZA-M_Quick_Start_Guide_v1.22_en.pdf (1.46 MB, 101 views)
File Type: pdf BTU_Manual_v1.04_en.pdf (129.9 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by Almondsaz; 03-29-2014 at 09:19 PM..
Old 03-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

David, congrats on the ongoing build! Thanks for sharing the build sheet, it's really useful for anyone getting this kit.

Goblin 280 - Goblin 380 - Goblin 500 Classic - Goblin Black Nitro 700 - Goblin Urukay.
JPSika is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is what I was looking for, I just got my spyder 700 kit, but I didn't get the big orange sheet. Thx, keep it up. Going to look at your pictures to build mines. If you can add pictures of the screws and where are they being used would be a great help. Thanks
Benc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Benc: will be working on mine later this afternoon and see if I can get with it. In the meantime would it help you if I sent/posted which bag goes with which step?
Old 03-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Partial Build Steps w/CAUTIONS First Installment

My comments are related to the Spyder Assembly Instructions for reference.

Step 1 - there are two main bod frames, an upper and a lower and you can discern which is which by the orientation of the tapping of the screw hole. and most notably the lower frame surface has the additional holes for the landing gear (5 holes).

You secure the 5 frame-spacers using the bag marked "ST3*12 30 PCS" these are self tapping screws for the plastic spacers. You will need a 2.0 hex wrench for this installation.

The location of the holes for the spacers is self evident - follow the photo in the assembly instructions.

15 self tapping screws total.

Step 2 & 3 - there are two landing gear bases that you need to install and you will use 4 bolts and 4 locking nuts. The bolts are from the bag marked "M3*10 8 PCS" there are just 8 bolts to do both landing gears. You will use 10 M3 locking nuts from the bag marked "M3 40 PCS" and you will use 8 of the 40 for this installation. The rounded end of the locking nut faces away from the bolt head for secure locking. ONLY MOUNT THE LOCKING NUT on the outside of the plastic landing gear not on the composite surface of the frame. I say this because there is a video on Youtube with an incorrect installation.

Step 4 - mounting the motors. These instructions are related to the X2815-470 motor that comes with the kit, refer to your motor instructions/manufacturer if your motors are different. Sky Hero provided the following CAUTION about the motor build up "never overtight any screw, or the plastic will break, slightly tight them always both side the same way and the same time, strep by step.
it's normal to have a Small gap between the motor mounts, this allow to have a good pressure on the tube without overtighting,after 2 or 3 days, the plastic will come in form, so re-tight slightly...

Avoid any contact between thread lock and plastic, if you use thread lock put it inside the motor mount thread instead of on the screw, let dry for 2 hours, and wipe off the excess before mounting.

Always use a washer to mount your motors
."

For the motor build up you will use the bag that is unmarked and has both bolts and washers in it. These bolts and washers (4 of each per motor) are used to mount the motor to the holders. Remember to use lactite and follow the previous caution from Sky Hero. Build tip: don't tighten the bolt all the way so you can move the mount around to get the 4 bolt holes to align.

16 bolts and washers total.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Attaching the Wire Loom to the motor assemblies

So I attached the wire loom that comes with the kit to the ESC bullet ended wires and some of them were tough to get on. I added 3/16" shrink sleeve to the red/black bullets to help secure the connection so it won't come apart so easily with the vibration environment of a quadcopter. That worked well for the short arms in the front but for the long arms you need to add the extender cables that come with the kit to get the motor control back to the NAZA. To secure the connection I used expandable sleeving (1/4" i.d.) long enough to extend over the black tab and then about an inch more or so. I secured the two ends with a small zip tie (lime green) careful not to go too tight and risk cutting the wires over time. I can't figure out why there are 3 red and 3 black bullt ends left in the 4 engine configuration so I will use electrical tape or sleeving to secure them once I get things layer out on the main frame. Hope the pictures help, if you see something of concern or that I did wrong - PLEASE TELL ME. Hope this is helpful.

Photo 1 you can see the shrink wrap sleeve and in 2 you can see the expandable sleeving
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (109.0 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (98.3 KB, 318 views)
Old 03-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm configuring a homemade setup like the skyhero.. Do you set the MC over the CG wherever it may be on the skyhero?
marvin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 06:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

After a long look and searching, I figure out the screws needed. Thanks.

I just finish the landing legs and the motor mounts. I have the same setup you have , but instead go using the the power leads that they provider, I went out and bought the Gryphon power distribution board. Because I'm doing it that way. I have to order some more cables and bullet connectors.

Btw, your kit come with a wire loom? What is that use for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almondsaz View Post
Benc: will be working on mine later this afternoon and see if I can get with it. In the meantime would it help you if I sent/posted which bag goes with which step?
Old 03-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Benc: it is the wire harness that is provided with the kit. Connects the motor leads via bullet connector to the power source. Might be just me but they seem to create chaos in the main frame as far as organizing the FC and associated wires. I have also ordered a PDB but not the gryphon and once I get it will decide if I am going to use it.

In me emails with the company I purchased my kit from (Xfly) TJ advised me that when I get to mounting the blades to make sure and balance them before using them as in their experience they are way out of balance. Just thought I would pass that on.

I have almost decided on using the lower frame for all the power and the upper frame under the canopy for the FC.

Good luck with your build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SKH04-006.jpg (29.5 KB, 128 views)
Old 03-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
I'm configuring a homemade setup like the skyhero.. Do you set the MC over the CG wherever it may be on the skyhero?
This is my first sky hero build but from everything I have read you set the MC near the CG. In the Naza-M instructions it uses the term "near" - I don't think it has to be dead on, but very near. Hope that helps.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Canopy

I wanted to keep going on the build and while I verify my layout for the FC, I went ahead and worked on the preparing the canopy. So the instructions say to drill a 8mm hole and then add the rubber gasket. So 8mm corresponds to a 5/16th drill bit and just a reminder that the canopy is made from fiberglass...emphasis on the "fiber". I drilled the hole and there were all sorts of fibers obstructing the hole, so I used a reamer to clean up the fibers from the hole and then mounted the gasket. Worked fine, but not sure what I would have used if I didn't have the reamer, perhaps an exacto knife - carefully applied.

Pic is of the finished canopy and the reamer - really useful tool for lots of things. I have used it where the hole in the frame wasn't clean or large enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canopy.jpg (52.0 KB, 183 views)
Old 03-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also bought it from xfly. Just call them yesterday. Wanted to know if the kit come with that orange cardboard.

Without thinking and just looking at the rtf xfly sky hero, I just went out and bought 2 4s 6600mah lipo. Then I read that the combo version need 6s 5000mah.

What lipo r u using. I just hope I can use the one I already purchase .

My build is at a pause, till I can order some 12 or 14 awg cables with 3.5 mm bullets to extend the power cable to my pdb. I have to admit the gryphon is nice. Wanted the power hungry board, but it was too much.

Quote:
Benc: it is the wire harness that is provided with the kit. Connects the motor leads via bullet connector to the power source. Might be just me but they seem to create chaos in the main frame as far as organizing the FC and associated wires. I have also ordered a PDB but not the gryphon and once I get it will decide if I am going to use it.

In me emails with the company I purchased my kit from (Xfly) TJ advised me that when I get to mounting the blades to make sure and balance them before using them as in their experience they are way out of balance. Just thought I would pass that on.

I have almost decided on using the lower frame for all the power and the upper frame under the canopy for the FC.

Good luck with your build.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Benc: did you buy the Spyder kit? I purchased a PULSE LIPO 6000mAh 22.2V 35C and I also have a Pulse 5000 mAh 22.2V 35C. I don't currently plan on hooking up my camera to it will most likely do FPV first. TJ at Xfly had a good price on the 6000mAh battery. Did you decide what connector you are going to use?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

David,
Great build thread, wished I had this available when I built mine

Regarding those wires, I think they have six cables as they are used for the Spyder 6 Hexa from Sky-Hero, in my case I used a distribution power board which is easier to arrange all ESC cables.

My only complain with this kit is the accesability to electronics once you close and screw everything in place, it's a real hassle to do so, this past week, as I installed the new DJI Mini iOSD controller, I had to dismount everything, finally I installed the device, re-screwed the plate again and just to notice that I without noticing disconnected M1 and M2 motors from the Naza MC, aaaaaa. I had to remove everything again, LOL.

To solve this issue I will get this new spare part soon, http://www.helidirect.com/sky-hero-e...er-p-34314.hdx

Goblin 280 - Goblin 380 - Goblin 500 Classic - Goblin Black Nitro 700 - Goblin Urukay.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Juan: thank you. II ordered the gryphon power distribution panel to do the electrical hookups and since I am not doing anything but the basic with the quad right now (no FPV, etc) then I don't need to get a power converter yet. Won't get the PDP until late this week so I am thinking that I will put all the FC on the upper deck so I will hopefully have less of an issue with a cramped compartment for electrical and FC. This will give me some time to get my "soldering act" together with a little practice. David
Old 03-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

So just when you think all the decisions are out of the way you come across the "What type of connectors are you going to use". We I have checked into the Dean's connectors and they are certainly easier to solder, but I have more confidence in the EC5 connector. Seems to be a personal preference.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Totally agree on the EC5 connectors.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm planning to use the TX60 connector

Quote:
Benc: did you buy the Spyder kit? I purchased a PULSE LIPO 6000mAh 22.2V 35C and I also have a Pulse 5000 mAh 22.2V 35C. I don't currently plan on hooking up my camera to it will most likely do FPV first. TJ at Xfly had a good price on the 6000mAh battery. Did you decide what connector you are going to use?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in