Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > KDS Multirotor Support > Spyder Multirotor Support

Spyder Multirotor Support Spyder Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benc View Post
Is the the final position where all your electronics going to be? Did u put a wire guard where the opening is ?
If you look in the last photo I posted, you will see that I added split fuel line to the edges to help preclude any cutting of the wire on the composite edge.
Almondsaz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
I've been reading this thread with a mild interest. I say mild because I'm up to my kidneys in models as it is. But I'm real interested in why you picked this airframe over others. What about it captured your attention?
For me it is the look and the notion that the frame is more substantial than other "open" frames. It is closer to a hell than a platform with 4 motors. Once I got my Spyder and could see and feel the quality in person I was glad I purchased it. Certainly the appearance was the first draw - unlike any other quad that I have seen.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Update: Reset the FC for better CG Alignment

Camera phone photograph, sorry for the quality. But I think I have this laid out correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00000063.jpg (70.0 KB, 249 views)
Old 04-18-2014, 04:16 AM   #64 (permalink)

You're not going to be able to leave the receiver and its satellite on top of that carbon fiber plate. The signal is going to be blocked by the electrical properties of carbon fiber. You need to move the receiver where it's antenna is clear of the plate. Or once it gets above the transmitter antenna it's going to be stone deaf. The sat will need the same treatment. And its antenna's will need to be turned 90 degs to the main receiver antenna. If the main is laying parallel to the frame plate, the sat will have to be turned so its antenna's are pointing to the sky and the ground. On the back on either side of the status light would be good. Make sure the antenna leads don't touch the frame plates.

And that foot on the GPS stalk is kinda flimsy. The way you have it mounted by one screw is going to allow the wind to push it around setting up a vibration. Needs to be more solidly mounted. The red backed, gray super tape is good for a more perm type mounting as it's a bear to get things unstuck from it. I use the white foam tape just in case I auger in it shears off with no damage.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 04:51 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

What is that module you have in front of the FC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almondsaz View Post
So finished the FC install and think I am ready to go, this weekend will be the first maiden flight (fingers crossed) which means this will be a long week, waiting until then.
Benc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 05:02 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
What is that module you have in front of the FC?
Let me take a shot from the pic.
On the right is the receiver's satellite receiver.
Above is the main receiver.
Below is the power distribution box with the CAN network.
Below it is the blue tooth controller.
On the butt end is the status LED.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Setishock: thank you for sharing the correction that I need to make, really appreciate it. I will make those adjustments on the placement this evening. I will most likely side mount the GPS and restrain it with two screws - from what I can see from other installations it appears to be acceptable. Hard to get a good fit with the GPS anywhere but "standoff" from the frame or there is interference with the canopy.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #68 (permalink)

Don't see how it is acceptable with just one screw. It's going to hum in the wind like a tuning fork.
I've seen where the stalk was trimmed down some. It's still is out from the frame plate but with the short stalk it's less likely to vibrate.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

So the satellite receiver, is that the only for the dx9 receiver ? Because I don't have that with my 14SGH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
Let me take a shot from the pic.
On the right is the receiver's satellite receiver.
Above is the main receiver.
Below is the power distribution box with the CAN network.
Below it is the blue tooth controller.
On the butt end is the status LED.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone have a trick to snap on the EC5 bullet to the housing? I heated up the bullet after soldering and try fit it in the housing. That didn't work.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are trying to get the brass bullet end into the blue plastic housing I find that CAREFULLY using the flat end of a screwdriver to push the brass end into the housing is effective and then it just snaps in.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:59 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
So the satellite receiver, is that the only for the dx9 receiver ? Because I don't have that with my 14SGH.
There's several different models of Spektrum receivers that have satellites. Other brands have them too. Just have to look through their catalogs.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBear View Post
I like the style and unique look of the model too and I will soon be ordering one to the fleet.
Any negatives ?
Is it too heavy?
TommyBear:

For the current phase I am in with the model, I would say that available build instructions in sufficient detail is an issue for a first time builder (such as myself). Would like to have a better step-by-step build and I have to say it is less about the model itself and more about when you add the power distribution - be it the wire harness provided by SH, or the addition of a PDB. Also, installation of the FC.

I think that the positioning of the battery will be a bit hit and miss, then I expect to add velcro to the battery and the panel so that I have consistent application for CG.

Seems to be mixed on the dual motor installation and the impact to the airflow...looks awesome, but not sure of the overall benefit. Never flew the two to compare performance/fun. In fact today, hopefully, will be the first time I fly mine. Can't wait.

Hope the comments are somewhat helpful. I have to say that I would buy it again - think it is a great choice. The support I have gotten here on the forum and from Sky Hero and Xfly have been incredible. I don't think the team from Xfly ever sleep - they always seem to answer my newbie questions really quick.

Look forward to seeing what you decide and which model you decide on.

David
Old 04-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #74 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Default Sky Hero Spyder 700 Kit build

Thanks David,

I really like the S700 combo package.

I will wait to hear your flight reports.

Cheers

Lynh
Old 04-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

David,
Good luck on your first flight.

Goblin 280 - Goblin 380 - Goblin 500 Classic - Goblin Black Nitro 700 - Goblin Urukay.
JPSika is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #76 (permalink)

Jeeze, whoa. I still can't believe what you guys paid for those things. That's outrageous.
However the little GPH3 gimbal has good cost to specs. I'm just wondering how you mount it to a F450 or F550. Not much detail on that.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FIRST FLIGHT!!!!

So my LHS helped with the final checkout, good thing I had to reverse two of the motors. I got some limited video - flys great. I will have to do a little research on the resting angle and take off, can be a bit disconcerting. I have to figure out how to get the video off my iPhone and share it. Will do that this afternoon.

Glad I purchased the Spyder - can't believe how much air it moves.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Video

Here is a link to the video, it is really short (2min) and the man from the hobby shop is flying for the first flight - he was testing out all the movements and at the end of the video is "return to home"

http://s980.photobucket.com/user/daa...vt=email_share
Old 04-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

So the maiden flight went well as the LHS piloted the quad. When I got home and tried my hand at it, the first thing I noticed was that throttle doesn't really respond with the Naza programming until throttle is half way up. First hover I just popped it up because the landing gear seem to lean it slightly backward.

All went well for the first few minutes.

Then I landed and thought I would try slowly lifting off the ground and she rocked forward and chipped one of the front blades.

Since that wonderful event, I came back in to the build table and took the landing gear off and reseated them, now it is more level.

I really have to watch the CG change that is induced with the different size batteries. I put in a 5000 first and all was good. Didn't pay close enough attention when I put in the 6000 and the CG was off, didn't have it locked in forward as before with the 5000.

So far nothing major, tomorrow will go to the field and fly it for at least a couple of batteries to get back into a positive mode.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #80 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Default Sky Hero Spyder 700 Kit build

Just make sure you recalibrate your compass at the new flying field before you try RTH.

Also, get some practice flying in manual mode only to get a feeling for how the spyder will handle just incase you need to abort RTH.

Good luck and enjoy and please record how long a flight duration you would get on 5000 pack and landing with 20% remaining.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in