Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > OpenTX Radios

OpenTX Radios OpenTX Radios Discussion and Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default D4R-II and Mini VBar via CPPM: Possible?

Has anyone gotten a D4R-II to talk to a Mini VBar using the CPPM connection? There's not much out there about it other than not trying to use all 8 channels without a firmware update. I have used this RX on a multirotor with KK2.1 board, so I know it's properly configured for CPPM output.

I tried for over an hour to get it to talk without success. It's no biggie if it won't work, I can always use a newer S-Bus RX but I had one and it's soooo tiny! Perfect for the Mini Protos.
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know its not your exact config but I just got a dr4-ii and made it work with my robird but am only using 6 channels on my taranis. Someone else here has mentioned the robird having issues with 8 channels.

Im surprised your kk2 works with the dr4-ii and 8 channels, I have heard of issues with those two working together but only at stick extremes.

FrSky D4R-II PPM Problems. Investigation and Solution with a KK2 and Bitscope. RCHacker #23 (19 min 40 sec)

I did buy the USB setup to upgrade the dr4-ii firmware and will do it this weekend (have 4 more dr4-iis in the mail). I wanted to make it work for 6 channels first to simplify the inital setup and learning curve with the taranis.

Do you need 8 channels (Im not familar with vbar at all)?

Perhaps you can try 6 channels at first to see if using 8 channels is really the problem.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I've got it set to 6 channels, and it worked fine with the KK2.1 (Steveis firmware). I too have read about the issue with the stock firmware and more than 6 channels, but that doesn't seem to be the issue here. I just couldn't get the VBar to recognize it at all, it saw no signal from the receiver.

I think the VBar just doesn't recognize CPPM.

PS: That's a great video! Thanks for the link!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the D4R-II on my Warp in CPPM mode no problem. Okay it's a Fubar on there, but I have Vbars too and it's the same. What a fab little Rx it is.

I set the Taranis to D8 mode, and channels 1-6 only. I bound it, set fail safe, jumpered across the signals of channels 3&4 on the receiver and set the Vbar to single line (futaba, Jetti, Graupner, Hott). Plugged channel 1 on the Rx into RXC on the Vbar as per Sbus and it worked first time.

That's all I know.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hmm... OK, I tried that and got nothing. Apparently I've done something stupid, so I will try it again!

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a spare D4R-II, so I'll rig it up on the bench tonight along with a new model in the Taranis and see if I can recreate my success.

I'll let you know how it goes and what snags I hit, if any.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks, I appreciate that! I have another heli to finish tonight for an event (tomorrow!!) so I may not have time to go back to my Mini Protos and try it again before the weekend.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Right, I just set up the other Rx.

Other than having the cable plugged into the wrong port at first (I put it in any to bind it), I did get it working as it should. I even created a new model from scratch and entered all the mixes myself rather than copy an existing model over then edit it as I usually do, and it all worked as it should.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in