Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flying Space Required for 450X vs 300 size

Hi,

I spent last summer flying micros (mCPX and 130X) and I'm kind of dying to move up to something a little larger this summer. I'm trying to decide whether to wait for the 300CFX or just go with the 450X which is a little more of a standard size and available now.

There's been a lot of discussion about the pro's and cons of that decision so I don't really want to rehash those here. My concern for the purpose of this post is solely based on flying space available.

So lets forget completely for a second about quality, size preferences and value for money. Two questions:

(By the way - I'm relatively new to this - not really doing any 3D for now - I just enjoy getting outside by myself, relaxing and doing some lazy sport type flying. I'm not even doing flips or inverted flying yet.)

1) The 450X doesn't look THAT much bigger to me than the recently discontinued 300X. So in your opinion does the 450X require that much more space than the 300 size? Obviously there's likely a difference but is it really that dramatic?

2) Do you think you can fly and enjoy (given my flying style) the 450X in a high school football/soccer field sized space? So maybe 450 X 250-300 feet sized area? (137 X 76-91 metres)

Thanks everybody in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

Last edited by ACITceva; 03-24-2014 at 01:28 PM..
ACITceva is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 300x takes as much room to fly as the 450x does but isn't as visible. If I could only have one it would be the 450x. The 300x has a rotor diameter of 22 inches,the 450 is 28 1/2.This is just my opinion and many helicopters were hurt and killed during the formation of my opinion.
CrashandBurn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's my local field. I fly my 450X and 300X there, mainly in the big field. I try to fly early morning weekdays before work, when I have the place mostly to myself. It's the perfect size for me ( I fly FFF, some loops & inverted ). It's around the size you mentioned; 450 x 300-ish.

The 2 smaller baseball fields are too small for any fun. If I have to use them I mostly do slow circuits & what not.

One thing I can say for sure; with the 450X I am really concerned about anyone being on the field. If there are people there, I won't fly.

With the 300X, while I am still concerned about safety, I am a little more willing to fly, If the peeps are on the far side of the field for example.

To me, it's that big of a difference between the two.

The general consensus seems to be go for the 450, but if I had to pick a daily flyer, I'd go for the 300X ( or wait for the CFX ). I bought a new airframe for cheap, a used AR7200BX for cheap and I love the little sucker.

Finally, FWIW, I will add this; either way I'd suggest upgrading the electronics & servos. I have an MCP-X v1 and a 130X, both of which I love. I got one of the good 130X's, so I was a little skeptical about all the talk regarding crap electronics. Well, both my 300X and 450X self destructed due to crap electronics ( servos, motor, and/or ESC/BEC ).

If I could do it again, I'd bite the bullet and upgrade first off, avoiding the cost of all the parts I had to replace.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FlyingField.1.jpg
Views:	896
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	496585  
C_M_H is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Depends on how you are flying. A soccer field is about right for a 450 IMO. They can pick up speed fast, but also get small really fast. Better to have too much room than too little!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACITceva View Post
Hi,

I spent last summer flying micros (mCPX and 130X) and I'm kind of dying to move up to something a little larger this summer. I'm trying to decide whether to wait for the 300CFX or just go with the 450X which is a little more of a standard size and available now.

There's been a lot of discussion about the pro's and cons of that decision so I don't really want to rehash those here. My concern for the purpose of this post is solely based on flying space available.

So lets forget completely for a second about quality, size preferences and value for money. Two questions:

(By the way - I'm relatively new to this - not really doing any 3D for now - I just enjoy getting outside by myself, relaxing and doing some lazy sport type flying. I'm not even doing flips or inverted flying yet.)

1) The 450X doesn't look THAT much bigger to me than the recently discontinued 300X. So in your opinion does the 450X require that much more space than the 300 size? Obviously there's likely a difference but is it really that dramatic?

2) Do you think you can fly and enjoy (given my flying style) the 450X in a high school football/soccer field sized space? So maybe 450 X 250-300 feet sized area? (137 X 76-91 metres)

Thanks everybody in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
1) It isn't, but large enough to help with visibility, both require about the same area to fly aggressively.

2)Yes!

Definitely get the 450X, don't wait for the 300CFX, smaller and same poor electronics as the old 300X. You will pay close the same price for the 300CFX as the 450X.
ChasingTail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Last night I was yammering onto my girlfriend about helicopter choices and she was humoring me by pretending to listen. (She's good like that - I would have told me to shut up by now if I was her). She asked casually "How big are the blades on that 450 anyway?" (We live in a small apartment and drive a small car). I check the Blade website for the diamater and tell her "About 28 inches".

She thinks I mean "EACH" and gets worked up - "Where are you going to store it!? How are you going to transport it and where are you going to fly it!? You can't get a helicopter with a 5 foot rotor!!"

Compared to that misunderstanding the 450X seems pretty girlfriend acceptable.

Edit: I just shared this as an amusing anecdote. Wasn't meant to be all "My awful wife says THIS!". Huge RC helicopters are somewhat unrealistic for my living situation and I've never real planned to progress that large in this hobby. 450 has really always been my goal.

Last edited by ACITceva; 03-24-2014 at 10:02 PM..
Old 03-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow,can you tell her what she can't get or have in her life? I know the whole G/F wants to act like she now owns me and controls my life is a whole different thread.

When a guy actually holds a 300x in one hand and a 450x in the other,there is no way that one could say they are that close in size. The 450x is a great choice in a small bird.
CrashandBurn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashandBurn View Post
Wow,can you tell her what she can't get or have in her life? I know the whole G/F wants to act like she now owns me and controls my life is a whole different thread.
Of course not. Honestly it was just recounted as an amusing anecdote - Wasn't meant to be all "My awful wife says THIS!". An RC helicopter with a 56 inch main rotor diameter is virtually completely unrealistic in a small downtown apartment particularly when your only mode of transportation is a compact car. Would require some pretty significant lifestyle modifications frankly. I guess the point really is that she thought I had been talking about something reasonable in size and suddenly (she thought) I was telling her it was WAY WAY bigger.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Of course not. Honestly it was just recounted as an amusing anecdote - Wasn't meant to be all "My awful wife says THIS!". An RC helicopter with a 56 inch main rotor diameter is virtually completely unrealistic in a small downtown apartment particularly when your only mode of transportation is a compact car. Would require some pretty significant lifestyle modifications frankly. I guess the point really is that she thought I had been talking about something reasonable in size and suddenly (she thought) I was telling her it was WAY WAY bigger.
A 700 size heli can fit in a small car no problem. I used to go to my field with multiple planes with 36" to 54" wingspans in a Smart car.

| Agile 5.5 | Goblin 500 | T-Rex 450 Pro DFC | 130X | mCP X BL | Nano CP X | Nano QX |
(and a ton of planes)
{}{steve}{} is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
A 700 size heli can fit in a small car no problem. I used to go to my field with multiple planes with 36" to 54" wingspans in a Smart car.
That's impressive actually!

But in all seriousness - it's never really been my intention to go that large in this hobby. 450 has always kind of been my goal assuming I can fly it in the space I have available relatively conveniently.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

450 not really that big once the blades are folded back and clamped to tail. It's the smallest I would buy

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
powdermnky007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by powdermnky007 View Post
450 not really that big once the blades are folded back and clamped to tail. It's the smallest I would buy
Yeah I agree that 450 is a convenient size in regards to storage/transport etc. I live in a relatively urban area so there aren't a lot of undeveloped areas where I could fly something bigger than that without joining a club.

There are however a lot of really large school football/soccer/baseball fields that are likely completely empty and unused early in the morning when I tend to fly. So really my intent of this thread was to see if that would be sufficient space for flying a 450X and the general consensus seems to be yes.

Getting ready to pull the trigger... maybe next week but it's a little hard to get excited about it. The weather this spring has been terrible here.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly my 450x at a softball diamond. It's a bit tight for space to be honest but useable. The 300x feels more suited to a ball diamond
eddie1983man is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly at a grade school close to my house and the 450x gets around pretty quickly. I say it's at least 200 x 400 yards. One time I had to land on the roof when a dog came running up and took my 300 as a play toy.
Metroart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly at the park below --- the small starred area is good for orientation training, very controlled 3D (not my aptitude) and very short FFF, speed picks up so quickly that by the time you get going you need to start pulling back. For reference - the small concrete circle to the southeast of the small star is about 9-10ft in diameter.

The area to the right (big star) you'd lose visual before you maxed out the space, I'm thinking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	park.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	505641  
MrCincinnati is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks everyone for the input. Went ahead and bought the 450X a few days ago. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet - maybe this weekend if the weather is nice.

I fully realize that to many of you the 450 is a "small" helicopter because you own or have flown much larger. But I gotta say... to someone like me that has only flown micros in the past - this thing looks HUGE sitting on my kitchen table.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
HF Support

Congrats. You're gonna love it.

It's all relative. Once you start flying the 450X all your micros are going to feel super tiny.

I fly my X5 the most, but I still love flying my 450X, 300X & T-Rex 150. The difference now is that they are a whole lot less intimidating.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I fully realize that to many of you the 450 is a "small" helicopter because you own or have flown much larger. But I gotta say... to someone like me that has only flown micros in the past - this thing looks HUGE sitting on my kitchen table.

Congrats --

I felt the exact same way about my 450x less than a month ago ---- then I took it up about 200ft and out another 100ft doing fff at probably around 50-60mph - it got small really fast...and now it seems small all the time --- but I enjoy it thoroughly. (that's what she said?) sorry sorry...

Old 05-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated (AND COVID FREE!) capital city on earth!)

Quote:
I've come the same route as you... I have to agree with MrCincinatti, you'll love it!

The first few times it's a bit intimidating, but soon you see how much more "docile" and controllable it is than the micros - then you can relax and "enjoy the ride"!

Paolo
XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)
PaoloFCantoni is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maiden Flight this morning! Well, mostly just hovering and generally taking it easy. I have to admit - it scared the crap out of me and my hands were shaking but I had a great time.

Afterwards I flew my 130X and it kind of felt like a toy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in