Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My T-Rex Bit Me...

I just got in from a couple packs thru my new 500 and had a rather scary moment. Plugging in the esc, with transmitter on and in TH, the motor started up instantly! The blades actually hit me in the head several times before it stopped on its own. Thank god it didn't hurt too bad and nothing was damaged. I can't remember if the esc had finished initialization, it happened so quick.

After checking for damage and calming my nerves, plugged back in and everything went as normal for another flight. What gives?!

DX7/AR6100
Castle 45HV
Scorpion S3026-8
2 x FP Evo Lite 4S 2100

I have the Castle programmed for "very soft" start, but it doesn't seem very soft to me! I have to gently advance the throttle on start up to avoid jerking. Running fixed throttle mode with curves.
beeflyer2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Step one is:

PUT THE MODEL IN THROTTLE HOLD.

I know you "said" you did but the ESC will only initialize at 0 throttle. Either that or you do not have TH set up right.

Consider it a easy lesson pounded in to your head.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

My HF Map location

One thing I always do on my spektrums, is if you were doing any changing in radio or setup always rebind after the changes. i know it's a pain but after I started doing that I got no more of the weird reactions that some users describe and a few weird reactions of my own. like motors starting without warning when th is on.
just my 2 cents
booger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Thats not good. 100% sure TH was on and TX was on? I witnessed the CC soft start yesterday. Not impressed with that feature at all on the CC esc.

I would take the blades off and bench it. See if you can duplicate it.
Socal500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

It was in throttle hold, I am sure of that. Actually, I thought maybe that was the problem, so the next time I plugged in I didn't use hold until after initialization. Re-binding is probably a good idea. I have made changes since binding.

And yes, TH is set to 0% throttle, I checked.

Another question for anyone familiar with the Castle 45HV: how do you set the throttle range? The manual doesn't mention this step, so I assume that during programming, when answering "yes" and "no," the high and low stick positions are set? The reason I ask is because my motor normally doesn't start until the stick is advanced to around 1/8 throttle.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Check out Bob's CC 85Hv setup video. It shows how to set up the throttle range.
p00rboi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've seen the video for the 85HV, but Bob said he doesn't know if the same procedure applies to the 45HV.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Was the receiver connected yet? Even still the ESC should not arm unless it is able to see 0 throttle input. Also keep in mind that especially with the 6100's if the transmitter is too close to the receiver it will cause strange things, one being throttle hits. I have experienced this multiple times with my 6100's. Try keeping the transmitter at least a few feet away from the heli at all times and mostly during initial power up.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am not certain, but I don't think the rx was connected yet. The transmitter was very close to the rx though. I will re-bind and make sure to keep some distance next time.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeflyer2 View Post

And yes, TH is set to 0% throttle, I checked.
Then 0% is not 0% on the ESC or you have a mismatch somewhere. Rebinding does nothing but lock in the settings of the sticks but the throttle goes to zero (as it is known) in FS I believe.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Set the throttle hold to a negative value. I have mine on -5%
Old 02-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

My HF Map location

and yes Bob's video works for the hv45 just like it does for the hv85 I have a hv45 and setup is the same. your transmitter has not taught the endpoints to the esc yet so watch the video and set it up correctly then rebind. and you will be good to go.
booger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
epl
Team Taco Member

Default My T-rex bit me

Hey Beeflyer, set the hi and low throttle position just like the CC85. I had the same thing happen on my CC25 and CC35. After setting up my 600 with the HV85 , I realized the other CCs needed the learn hi and low stick positions. Also keep your head and face away from any rotor blades when plugging the battery.
epl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Cant speak for the CC but with the Align ESC if you have to set a negative value for hold to keep the motor from spinning then you DI NOT go through programming of the ESC! You MUST go through programming so the ESC can learn your low and high stick points!!!! If you don;t then this is why you see some people with a -5 on throttle hold AND oh by the way you may not be getting full 100% throttle if the ESC didn't learn your high stick.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob, can you clarify the step in your 85HV setup video about setting throttle range? You say to plug in the receiver first, go to high stick, then plug in the esc and adjust ATVs. Is it necessary to plug in the power to receiver first? I have my BEC wired to the esc plug so they have to power on at the same time.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Drop your throttle end points for low and high to about 60. Leave TX on. Put throttle stick at full. Plug in RX if on a different power source than the ESC. Plug in ESC. It should NOT spool up. Now increase the high throttle end point until it beeps. WHen it beeps it just detected the high throttle point. Add a few more clicks of high throttle end point for some head room.

Now unplug the ESC. Put the throttle at LOW stick. Plug in ther esc. Start increasing low throttle stick end point until the ESC beeps. It just detectred low stick. Add a few more clicks of low throttle end point for some head room.

Your done.

If youi have a BEC wired to the same plug as the ESC this is fine and should work the SAME way. If a DX radio give the RX time to sync and make sure the servos move before starting the proceedure.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

My HF Map location

The Jazz learns the low high during setup, probably like the others. Then you set your heli and lipo mode. I set my TH to a neg value in case something ever happens, like an ESC reset, which I have had happen with the align 35 ESC. Gives you a little buffer to the negative side. If you going to have a little buffer on the high side, might as well have it on the low side as well .
Old 02-21-2008, 04:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What Bob said is the correct way to find the "true" values of 0 and 100% for the ESC.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I setup the endpoints as described and they turned out to be around 70% ATV. This made a noticable difference in throttle resolution. Before setting up the endpoints I was not seeing a change in rpm from ID1 to ID2, now I am. The low-stick deadband has also been eliminated. Thanks Bob!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Cant speak for the CC but with the Align ESC if you have to set a negative value for hold to keep the motor from spinning then you DI NOT go through programming of the ESC! You MUST go through programming so the ESC can learn your low and high stick points!!!! If you don;t then this is why you see some people with a -5 on throttle hold AND oh by the way you may not be getting full 100% throttle if the ESC didn't learn your high stick.

Bob
Bob,
A lot of DX7 users set -5 on the throttle hold, because that's what we've all learned to do from Jermo's DX7 setup video.
BlackTitanium is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
end point, esc, finless, programming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in