Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Flight Controllers (NAZA, Wookong, A2, etc...) > DJI Multirotor Forum(A2/WKM)

DJI Multirotor Forum(A2/WKM) DJI Multirotor Forum(A2/WKM)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default NAZA M-Lite - IOC Never Turns On - HELP Needed

Hey guys - Has anyone had problems getting their Course Lock or Home Lock to wake up ? Mine works great in the software but is totally absent in flight.

Everything is calibrated and wired right, and there are no error codes or warnings of any kind. All I get is traditional model orientation, regardless or power up, time, distance, etc etc. Many tests over a three week period.

NOTE: The Flight Modes of GPS and ATTI work GREAT, very stable. Thankful for that!

I have a DJI F550 Hexacopter with the NAZA M-Lite and GPS. My 7-channel radio is a Futaba T7C in ACRO mode, with its (one) 3-position switch assigned to Flight Modes (Channel 5 - U).

For IOC, I'm using a 2-position switch; I've tried Home Lock and OFF, and Course Lock and OFF which is allowed per the Instruction Manual (Channel 7 - X2), and even tried different switches in case hardware was the problem. No switch tried is assigned to any other task. The Assistant software is definately set for intelligent mode and shows perfect positioning for the IOC function. All looks great there. But not in flight...not even a hint of it. Hey, things could be worse, but this function was a BIG reason for the purchase.

Has anyone else experienced this mysterious lack of IOC? What was the problem? What is the solution?

Thanks for any comments
Phil
Aeriallens is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

IOC is different. Did you activate it in Assistant?
Empire Support 2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Support 2 View Post
IOC is different. Did you activate it in Assistant?
Sure. That is why I'm mystified after weeks of trying to get this working. Works in the Assistant. Does not work in the field.

On TX MONITOR Page, 2. Cutoff type , (.) Intelligent is marked;
On AUTOPILOT Page, 2. Enhanced Fail-Safe Methds (.) Go Home and Landing is marked;
and 3. Intelligent Orientation [ ] Box is checked and Slider Bar shows X2 positions correctly

In the field, LED's light up correctly.Flight is wonderful - just absent IOC of any sort, as if OFF.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Assuming you definitely saw the fast green flashes to show Home position has been set I am guessing you trying this close in, I was confused by this too.

IOC will only switch on if you are a long way away, I think manual says 25Metres, so you need to fly away before switching into IOC, when you fly back it cuts out much closer, I would say 5Metres or so. If you go into HL and point nose in and hold back stick, it will come back to the edge of this distance then start 'rocking' back and forth as IOC cuts in and out, by that time you can clearly see the phantom so can switch IOC off and land normally.
jamesb72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb72 View Post
Assuming you definitely saw the fast green flashes (Aeriallens: Yes, all perfect) to show Home position has been set I am guessing you trying this close in, I was confused by this too.

IOC will only switch on if you are a long way away, I think manual says 25Metres, so you need to fly away before switching into IOC, when you fly back it cuts out much closer, I would say 5Metres or so. If you go into HL and point nose in and hold back stick, it will come back to the edge of this distance then start 'rocking' back and forth as IOC cuts in and out, by that time you can clearly see the phantom so can switch IOC off and land normally.
Thanks, James - It's actually 10m and Home Lock that does that -- completely understood; Course Lock will come in much sooner and has no care about how far away you are in theory. In my case, there is nothing. Call it "NO LOCK." Ha.

Believe me, I have tried every combination of distance, of power-up time....you name it, I have done it multiple times. As evidence, typically even 50m away (160+ feet), if you turn around the aircraft to face you at that distance (nose-in the aircraft after arrival at that distance, after taking off nose-out and flying away nose-out) then left stick is Right and right stick is Left, and forward stick is Toward you, etc. Just like a regular model with no IOC. In most tests, I orient the aircraft so that Course Lock and Home Lock would be essentially the same - fly away in the direction the nose is pointed.

Oh, and YES, the compass/GPS is definately pointing foward - Ha, I've checked the basics. Is it even possible that DJI has mounted the internals backwards in the GPS dome??

Oddly - considering neither C/L nor H/L works in controlling flight from the radio, NAZA does know where the take-off spot is; I've tried Failsafe and RTH, and these DO work! See why this is such a mystery?

Please keep the ideas coming. There has to be a simple solution.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

And you have verified that IOC is set to ON and you see it engage in the software ? Could you please post a screen shot?
Empire Support 3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Support 3 View Post
And you have verified that IOC is set to ON and you see it engage in the software ? Could you please post a screen shot?
Hmmmm. We may be on to something? I will get a screen shot of each page later, but I'm really pretty certain nothing is left out...I mean the blue on the slider bars, the check boxes, etc.? Is there another checkbox for Intelligent Orientation (see post #3 above). In the software, everything reacts to sticks and switches and is configured as it should be...as far I can see.

If there is something else, it is certainly extremely well hidden. What have I missed???
Old 11-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

We won't know until you show us how your craft is set up.
Empire Support 2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Support 2 View Post
We won't know until you show us how your craft is set up.
Okay...seems kind of "Did you check the fuel gauge?" basic, but here is a shot of each page.... even the Gimbal and Voltage pages which are turned off.

Oh, between Page 3 and Page 4, I DID flip my IOC switch from OFF to Course Lock, if you happen to notice that; the OFF position does light up the Blue Off on the X2 slider graphic.

As you can see, the right stuff is there, yes?

If you see something weird, PLEASE tell me what it is.

Thanks
Phil
Old 11-21-2013, 03:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

What's the brand name and model number of the receiver you're using?
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The receiver is the Futaba R617FS model which came with the 2.4GHz T7C radio. It works fine for flight modes, and should not have issues with IOC when controlled via Channel 7. Have you heard of any issues with Course Lock or Home Lock with this receiver???

My understanding is the only known issue with the Rx is unrelated to IOC:
NAZA Failsafe on signal loss when using ACRO mode is not available. Failsafe works well in my case because it is done by switch only, and my Channel 3 (Throttle) failsafe is set for just above 50%. (There is a solution to signal-loss Failsafe in this Forum that is considered very good, but I do not need all functions and lots of switch combos; just give me flight modes and either course lock or home lock using two switches - keep it simple).

Thanks for any input there. Having no Course Lock control is making me bonkers.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeriallens View Post
Sure. That is why I'm mystified after weeks of trying to get this working. Works in the Assistant. Does not work in the field.

On TX MONITOR Page, 2. Cutoff type , (.) Intelligent is marked;
On AUTOPILOT Page, 2. Enhanced Fail-Safe Methds (.) Go Home and Landing is marked;
and 3. Intelligent Orientation [ ] Box is checked and Slider Bar shows X2 positions correctly

In the field, LED's light up correctly.Flight is wonderful - just absent IOC of any sort, as if OFF.
Does this mean that you get the alternating yellow/green to show that it is in IOC?
toys2cars2toys is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys2cars2toys View Post
Does this mean that you get the alternating yellow/green to show that it is in IOC?
Good question. Thanks.

Yes, I do get the proper LED signals I think.
For example, if in GPS mode it goes like this (on a clear day):
Powerup then 3 quick GREENS,
Then 1 green and 3 REDS for a few seconds (getting satellites),
Then just GREEN slowly flashing.

So, it should go Yellow/Green? I'll go outside now and see for sure.....

....Okay, I just went out and flew 4 times (radio on/plug-in/powerup/GPS cycles) waiting for satellites and hovering, and trying C/L, and watching LEDs. Each time, the LEDs flashed as stated above, but in stationary hover I DID get that Yellow/Green signal in two flights. So 2 times had Yellow/Green and 2 other times had Green only.

This was at a distance of about 50 feet hovering, then each time I flew out an additional 50 feet. The nose was always out from take-off to distance. Turning nose-in, I still had NO Course Lock in all 4 cases.

In other words, whether it hovered with Yellow/Green or just Green only , it flew the same. Rock solid but no IOC.

So, any clues from this?
Old 11-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK, guessing time, I'm new to my Naza Lite and haven't tried IOC yet

Reading the manual, my interpretation of the required sequence is...(experts please interject)

GPS Atti Mode
Power Up quad
Wait until flashing green only
Wait 30 secs more
Take off and fly at least 10M away
Switch into IOC - experts does this have to be done in flight, on the ground, or not important

I suspect that you have tried all of this?
Old 11-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys2cars2toys View Post
OK, guessing time, I'm new to my Naza Lite and haven't tried IOC yet ...
I mean this with respect, Toys2Cars2Toys, but I have covered all of that - to the point of sometimes repeating - in previous posts ... but the answers are yes except having to switch to IOC after taking off - NO - and NO - C/L should work if it is activated regardless of distance. Home Lock activated, yes you need the 10m. Course Lock activated, no, you do not need 10m or 10 cat whiskers -- if you are in GPS or ATTI, it is working after you have powered up for 30s (or should be).

That said - does anyone have a clue why I have have no IOC or what to try next?
Old 11-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Do you have the option under tools to restore default settings? Doing this would be my own last ditch effort I would try in your situation.
clouseau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouseau View Post
Do you have the option under tools to restore default settings? Doing this would be my own last ditch effort I would try in your situation.
Actually, thanks, that is an excellent idea.
Will do tomorrow for sure and post back....
Old 11-22-2013, 03:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I mean this with respect, Toys2Cars2Toys, but I have covered all of that - to the point of sometimes repeating - in previous posts ... but the answers are yes except having to switch to IOC after taking off - NO - and NO - C/L should work if it is activated regardless of distance. Home Lock activated, yes you need the 10m. Course Lock activated, no, you do not need 10m or 10 cat whiskers -- if you are in GPS or ATTI, it is working after you have powered up for 30s (or should be).

That said - does anyone have a clue why I have have no IOC or what to try next?
No offence taken, it was clear that you had already tried so much, what I couldn't get from your posts was the combination/sequence used, for example I didn't see anywhere where you had explicitly said that you waited 30 secs after GPS lock. Sometimes it's good to go back to basics with a fresh pair of eyes.
I did realise that there is a difference in the start up sequence between CL and HL, my sequence was simplified to cover both
Old 11-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, darn it, IOC STILL didn't work. I knew resetting EVERYTHING would do the trick...but it didn't. But at least I observed the flashes better and learned a few things.

Taking the above advice, I actually reset the Assistant settings and started fresh in my transmitter as well, as if new. Before that, I took the top plate off, checked all wiring, etc. Then of course set things up, recalibrated the IMU, went out and did the compass --- you know, the whole 9 yards.

Identical results. That is, NO results with IOC navigation. Paying close attention, I do indeed get the green flash acknowledgement at right about 30 seconds after power up, still on the ground. I know GPS and ATTI work -- they are so obvious like invisible cables in the sky. Love that.

Today, my 2-position switch was set up for C/L and OFF. In all but one case, I powered up with C/L on. Only once did I take off with it OFF, then back ON in hover.

Oh, no yellow flashes - just slow green after satellite acquision, then green flashes at about 30 sec, then slow green again. I was mainly in GPS and it flew more stable than ever.

That tells me the electronics are quite happy, but maybe something is "stuck" inside the NAZA? As an analogy, I recently had a jammed vent fan in our home heater (safety device, that wont let gas heater light up), but the wall control was pefectly content - it did not know the vent fan was not rotating - it only knew the little motor was ON. Does anyone know if there are ANY mechanical parts inside that little NAZA M box?

This is really getting to be a gigantic mystery. Help! Please keep suggestions coming.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: NAZA M-Lite - IOC Never Turns On - HELP Needed

Quote:
Oh, no yellow flashes - just slow green after satellite acquision, then green flashes at about 30 sec, then slow green again. I was mainly in GPS and it flew more stable than ever.
You definitely need to be seeing yellow green green flashes when you switch IOC on, GPS should be green green, but switching IOC should show yellow green green.

When I setup my DX8/AR8000 I initially set these and software worked fine, but when I did a final check the servo output positions must have changed ever so slightly, as they were no longer registering, I had to tweak them all 1-2 %, this was true with both IOC and flight modes, for some bizarre reason the NAZA shows on software as a wide range for these settings, but is actually really fussy about the precise pulse widths to actually register. Once I reset these a 2nd time they have been fine for me since, so not sure why the initial values changed slightly.

I just checked my phantom on my dining room table (I'm next to a window so got a GPS lock to get fast green flashes to show home position recorded, but I get red red red as low GPS count warning but that can be ignored).

Just uploaded a youtube video to show this so its clear what is 'normal' when switching in and out of IOC. I have the new phantom with Naza V2, the Lite instructions (attached) show it still uses yellow/green to indicate IOC, so you need to see yellow/green flashes when you switch IOC on, and just green in GPS without IOC or its definitely not seeing the correct channel position for IOC.

It sounds like IOC is showing fine when you're plugged into PC, but I wonder if its very fussy about precise channel position so when you move away/outside its changing very slightly but enough you are not registering IOC.

You can check this outside on the ground with LED flashes, tweaking your ATV on IOC channel up and down until you get the yellow flash to confirm IOC is selected.

If you have the yellow green flash with IOC switch on, and still no IOC behaviour in flight then I'm stumped.

[ame]http://youtu.be/9zC575riHpA[/ame]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhantomIOC.jpg (25.6 KB, 90 views)
jamesb72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
course lock, dji 550, home lock, ioc, naza m-lite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in