Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2016, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 450L crash costs compared to other 450s

I have tried the 360CFX and sold it because of the crash costs of even slght crashes. Now I have a protos mini and it's crash costs seem fairly low in comparison.

I was offered another heli and I was wondering is the 450L might be a good idea, I have used Align as a base to compare everything by.

I heard it's TT tail explodes in crashes and T-rexs are heaver than its counterparts. Should I look into an X3 or even an OXY3 instead? I know the warp 360 is expensive but how about a chase 360?
felixthemaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've seen people fly the X3 or the mini protos. They have crashed that many times, that they are no longer in the hobby. So the point being, doesn't matter which heli you choose, if you crash quite a bit, and it's hurting the wallet badly, either get your flying skills improved in the simulator or cut down on those hard maneuvers. One way or another, you need to find out what works out best for your wallet, and continue to remain in this hobby for a very long time. The life of a 3D pilot, can be an expensive lifestyle.
gimbleguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 07:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

A belted Heli will be a little cheaper to crash. The tail on a 450L doesn't explode but most crashes you're going replace the torque tube, front/rear tt gears and all the other normal parts. Even without "crashing" you can strip the TT gears if you hit the tail hard enough landing. Once you're proficient at landing you can get 100s of flights out of a set of TT gears.

DFC heads are a little harder on servos in a crash. Put some breakaway servo horns on it to reduce damage.

Because of how the boom block is inserted into the frame the 450L is a bit more of a pain in the ass to work on. You can't just slide it out like the older pro.
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My protos fell unpowered from a height and broke the ball link but not hte servo or DFC arms thankfully. I agree, belt seems superior in that case. Also the Mini protos also has a belt driven main gear so no more stripped gears! I have replaced enough blade main gears to drive a person mad!
Old 01-15-2016, 03:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oxy3 isn't exactly the same thing as the other you mention...

Its more like a 300cfx or 270cfx (to use blade helis) in size, with premium quality stuff... It crashes ok, but its not indestructible...

TT wont explode any more than a belt bom would if you have a strike or if you go down tail first. If its not a really big crash, you generally just have to change the bom and the umbrella gears...

Most parts for a 450L rebuild is bags of two or maybe three, its like $10 for the bag. If you don't damage a servo, the most expensive part to replace is most often the blades...

Bom $8 for two
Main shaft $11 for two
Feathering shaft $7 for two
Umbrella gears $13 for two (need front and back)
Main Gear $8 for three

I'd make sure (if I was worried about crashing) that I pick a heli that have parts available. Align is not that hard to find parts to, all stores stock them so if its out at one place, you can bet you still can find it...

Just did a check on 360 warp on helidirect... not to impressive in the parts department... (If defender of warp comes, I know you can find them, the point is that you can find Align parts everywhere...)

http://www.helidirect.com/helicopter...mpass/warp-360
Old 01-15-2016, 03:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Those parts seem cheap. but then again, my 360cfx parts seemed cheap but it broke more parts and in the end was more expensive to fix than my mini protos
Old 01-15-2016, 06:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Most of my 450 crashes have cost between $50 and $150 to get it flying again.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashNburn420 View Post
Most of my 450 crashes have cost between $50 and $150 to get it flying again.
You can just about re-kit a 450l for $150. You must have some nasty crashes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
rlane4osu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2016, 05:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

A rekit is on 450L is way more than $150. More like $400.

It's not that hard to get crash costs up to $150. Usually it was lower than that, once I went to breakaway servo horns the cost was lower.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
A rekit is on 450L is way more than $150. More like $400.

It's not that hard to get crash costs up to $150. Usually it was lower than that, once I went to breakaway servo horns the cost was lower.
$159 + shipping for a re-kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Align-Trex-4...r/271831924525
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2016, 10:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's not a rekit. It doesn't come with any electronics or blades. That's just a bare bones frame.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That's not a rekit. It doesn't come with any electronics or blades. That's just a bare bones frame.
Since when does a re-kit include electronics? The kit is the kit. You can probably argue blades either way since some helis come with blades and others do not.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakky View Post
Since when does a re-kit include electronics? The kit is the kit. You can probably argue blades either way since some helis come with blades and others do not.

For something like a Trex 450 I consider a Rekit as replacing the entire Heli and breaking down the crashed one for good parts. If it really cost $300 in parts to fix that Heli you might as well spend $375~ for a brand new Heli.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man there are so many variables in a crash an average cost is near impossible to levy...

Basic parts on the Trex are pretty much on par with the rest of the pack. What breaks nearly every time is TT gears, most sudden stops to the head cause servo damage, and likely shafts and running gears. The frames are pretty tuff, I use MSH landing gear, so they are tuff as nails. Booms are kinda weak, if you hit hard enough to bend a main shaft you are kinda guaranteed to wreak a main shaft bearing.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Having cheap 450 parts available nowadays from Tarot, ALZRC and Gartt,
I keep spare head and tail setups on my self. In case of a crash, I simply swap the whole head, including the main shaft and main gear. And the whole tail assembly, including the tail boom and boom mount.

Later when I have time, I take the crashed parts to pieces, and throw away any broken parts, and put ok parts into my spare part box. Even later, I build more spare head and tail assemblies.

Works for me
olderiget likes this.
Dr.Rudder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2017, 03:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Heli Fever

I have been out of the R/C helicopter market due to medical issues for the past 4-5 years. I have a couple Align 450/500 EXI clones I flew quite a bit. Where is the best online source for Align clone kits and parts? I understand the quality isn't as good as the Align genuine parts but the savings in cost is worth it to me.

Would love to hear where you get the best deals.

Thanks,

Greg
gdmaxwel1974 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2017, 11:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

https://tarot-rc-heli.com/Tarot_RC_H...s_and_Upgrades
salrica is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2017, 11:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent. Has anyone purchased one of the Tarot DFC heads and installed on a 450 Pro clone? Seems like all you need is the purchase the head and install the FBL controller. I use FrSky OpenTX for my transmitter. Will this receiver be compatible with all the FBL controllers??

Thanks,

Greg
gdmaxwel1974 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2017, 04:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

As long as you have the right main shaft the head should work fine on the clone.

Last edited by CrashNburn420; 06-09-2017 at 08:06 PM..
Old 06-09-2017, 07:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

personally i think if your crashing that much that you are looking for cheaper alternative your flying beyond your abilities.

get a sim and also a beater heli. My 250 is my heli i crash although i dont crash it often.

My 450 doesnt crash and thats with doing tic tocs, half piro flips and fast circuits. inverted hovering inches off the ground. and flips and rolls fairly low to ground.

if you must push the limits then you have to accept that its going to cost to fix your heli.
bazsound is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.