Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Blade Multirotor Support > 180QX

180QX Blade 180QX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2015, 01:40 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ended up going for the dark edition motors anyway. I don't have any problems with them on my 180qx until the battery gets closer to empty - at which point it drops out of the sky under high-load conditions. I think this issue is just down to batteries not keeping up with current demand - voltage sag. Perhaps the 180qx's FC is just more sensitive to this issue than others. I've just last night added some larger wire and a dual battery input. I plan to fly with two batteries in parallel for the extended flight times - this should also help with the voltage sag since only half the current will be drawn from each battery.
eKretz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 07:58 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Let us know how that works. I am also interested in this.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:16 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will do. Tried a test run last night that went gangbusters. I'll get in some more testing today and get back to you.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here are a couple photos showing the position where I mounted the second battery on the belly, right under the stock location. Just used industrial strength Velcro. I don't use the landing gear, so I wanted to make sure I still had plenty of clearance - as you can see the battery is plenty high so as not to hit before the landing pads on the prop shaft housings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150721_155513.jpg (38.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150721_155537.jpg (49.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

cool, looks good. how much more fling time do you get?
I think I will try it when I get my new mmw motors.

Thanks for the info
Old 07-22-2015, 02:15 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Aargh, right in the middle of testing today I hooked a branch of the 75' oak tree in my back yard and got stuck. Managed to selectively tweak the sticks to get out of the first branch and got stuck in a second. Finally got it off of that one too and then discovered I had left a prop and prop shaft up in the tree. Got that down with a few throws of a rock. Ended up losing the gear though. Testing will have to continue another day, got some gears on the way.

The paralleled batteries get pretty close to double the flight time. I ran about 8 minutes pretty fast flight today before getting stuck and came in at 3.85 volts, plenty of capacity left - I usually fly until about 3.7v resting voltage.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:28 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK after extensive repairs (three cracked booms, one motor with the positive wire ripped in half, the negative wire nearly ripped out of the can, one lost gear) got back up in the air today, full flight times with pretty rapid flight and some decent maneuvering (basically normal flight, none of that hover in one spot and see how long the battery can be stretched crap) gave an average of about 11 minutes flight time with the dual battery setup and two newer Hyperion 550mAh batteries. Resting voltage after 11 minute continuous flights all day today (rests in between) was repeatedly and consistently 3.75 volts. It seems to be doing fine with the Dark motors as long as I only go full throttle for no more than a few seconds - it will still drop if I exceed that. Guess the board is too sensitive to the voltage drop maybe? I may throw it on the oscilloscope and see what exactly is happening. It still does great for my normal flying style - it only dropped after I intentionally held full throttle on way longer than I ever do in flight.

Last edited by eKretz; 07-26-2015 at 03:52 AM..
Old 07-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried a pass on my old E-Flite batteries and fell out of the sky at LVC at about 8 minutes 30 seconds flight time. I'm getting ready to set up the oscilloscope to see what's going on with the cutting out at full throttle now.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:11 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had a hard time getting the probes on the points I wanted, but I was definitely able to see a massive voltage drop on full throttle. I think the controller/board just isn't able to run at the lower voltage on this particular quad. I'm thinking it would need a boost circuit in order to keep flying at heavy doses of full throttle with the Dark Edition motors. They do draw quite a lot of amperage wide open, that's for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in