First build questions - Page 2 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X3

X3 Discussion and support for the Gaui X3

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 11:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by btheli View Post
Thanks. Spent tonight playing with my new iCharger 4010 Duo! Way more than I need right now, but I have grand plans to grow into it.
just hope batteries don't change before then (G)
Fooferdoggie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by btheli View Post
Thanks. Spent tonight playing with my new iCharger 4010 Duo! Way more than I need right now, but I have grand plans to grow into it.
That's a good charger and once you learn about parallel charging, it will keep up with your needs. Make sure you read up and you can be charging six 6S LiPos at a time. Make sure you do read up on it though as you do need to know what your doing.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Build is now complete and I'm starting the wiring and ESC & iKON setup. I've watched a lot of videos and how you setup and control the three flight banks on the iKON is still confusing to me. I'm also using a DX6i, and I there are some posts on how to configure the banks for this radio (but again I don't fully understand it yet). I'm sure I'll be asking some questions when I get to that point.

In one of the iKON setup videos, it is recommended to use the multirotor vehicle instead of the helicopter vehicle because it puts the iKON in full control of everything (soft start, etc.). Are any of you guys doing it this way?
btheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, on my 6HVU I run the ikon and it is in multirotor mode for the CC 120HV.

With my X3 i run the mini v-bar and its the same except its airplane mode on the Hobbywing V3.

That is ONLY if you are using the gov and have the Gov set up! If you do not have the gov set up it can be very bad.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmann841 View Post
That is ONLY if you are using the gov and have the Gov set up! If you do not have the gov set up it can be very bad.
"very bad" because there is no soft start without Gov? I'm not experienced with the CC Edge Lite 50 or the iKON so pardon my ignorance!

Ran into my next problem last night while setting up the TX endpoints in the iKON software. I have the Spektrum dx6i. New model, no D/R or EXPO, and linear throttle curve. I had to reverse a few of the sticks but got everything moving in the right direction. However, in setting up the endpoints several of the channels on teh TX were pegged at 125% (as far as they will go on the dx6i) and still would not reach 100% in the iKON. All were close (say 96%-98% and in the "green" zone), but I could not figure out how to get them to 100%. Is this a problem since they are all green? Should I make them even on both ends, e.g., -96% and +96%?
Old 07-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can run soft start without gov on the CC edge lite no problem.

I had the same issue with the endpoints on the Ikon with DX8... I set them equal positive and negative (ie; 96%+ 96%- )... everything seems to work fine?
Old 07-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My plan was to run "multi-rotor" in the ESC and do everything from the iKON. I think when I do that I don't have access to the soft start on the Castle ESC.

Yesterday I figured out how to use mixing on my dx6i to change between the 3 different flight banks using two switches and that seems to be working. I'm not sure how adept I'm going to be at toggling two different switches to select three banks while flying though.

I've been reading stories of folks having issues with the iKON self leveling. Evidently this is when the built-in accelerometers are used, and they can be very sensitive to vibrations, i.e., you could have everything tuned perfectly but SL results in a big surprise. I definitely want to use this. Any experiences on this over here?

Away from home (and the heli) today. :-( I think I'm going to make a leveling table like jbobb1 has because it's too hot to do anything else!
Old 07-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

With using 2 switches, I assume you toggle between two banks with one switch and the third bank with the other switch (I have a DX8, so I don't know)?
I've had pretty good luck with the SL feature on my X3. Vibration is an issue, no doubt! The typical cure is to do the "Milton Mod", but that's not an option on the X3, so I use this:
http://www.helidirect.com/lynx-omicr...er-p-24408.hdx

It's a thick gel pad that has a adhesive back on both sides. I plowed mine X3 in the dirt the other day and the iKon didn't move at all.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

yep. Are those pads somehow better than the pads that come with the ikon? Double them up? Sorry about the crash! What was the cause?
Old 07-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe you could set SL in the bank controlled by the single switch, which would seem pretty convenient.
The Lynx pad is better because it isolates any vibs from reaching the iKon.

My crash was because of a dumb thumb mistake while in a inverted hover.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If easy, would you send the dimensions of your leveling base and the width of the board that fits through the skids?
Old 07-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First build questions

You can see it in my profile. I'll add the board dims

Sent from my Goblin using Quantum power
Old 07-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've seen it, like it, and now must have one of my own. Away from my stuff this weekend but have a workshop so I want to build one. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Ready for bench test...need advice

I have the Castle Edge Lite 50 ESC, iKON gyro and Spektrum dx6i transmitter. The dx6i has only NORMAL and STUNT modes (no second STUNT mode). I have the tail gain set in the iKON software and have assigned switches on the TX to allow me to change between the three iKON flight modes.

I am ready to do a “bench test” but not having ever done one before I wanted to get your review and recommendations on the procedure I would follow:

CHECK NORMAL MODE, VIBES, SPEED AND THROTTLE HOLD (TH)
1. Connect motor wires, no pinion, and no main or tail blades. Heli is also fastened down to my leveling table.
2. Verify ESC is in multi-rotor mode (pass through, no gov and no soft start from ESC)
3. Set iKON flight mode 1 to no governor, fm2 to use gov, and fm3 to use gov and self-level (SL)
4. Switch to fm1 (no governor)
5. Set throttle curve NORMAL to 0,30,30,30,30, STUNT to 60,60,60,60,60, and HOLD to 10,10,10,10,10 (verify this is in fact 0 on dx6i)
6. TH on, TX throttle stick full down, power up ESC
7. Throttle stick up…verify nothing happens…stick back full down
8. TH off…verify nothing happens
9. Slowly increase throttle and verify motor ramps up to first set flight speed (iKON software shows speed)
10. Pay attention to vibes (shouldn’t be any since no pinion)
11. TH on…verify motor goes to zero. Throttle stick full down.

CHECK SOFT START
12. Switch to STUNT
13. Switch to fm2 (use gov and soft start)
14. Verify green light on iKON is solid
15. TH off…verify soft start ramp up to second set speed
16. TH on…verify speed ramps down, AND that green light is flashing (soft start disabled for X seconds)
17. Wait until green light is solid again (soft start enabled)

CHECK BAILOUT
18. TH off…soft start to second set speed
19. After motor slows some, TH on…verify bailout brings speed back up relatively quickly
20. TH on…motor to stop and green light flashing
21. Wait until green light is solid again (soft start enabled)

CHECK SELF-LEVEL (SL)
22. Verify still in STUNT
23. TH off…verify soft start ramp up to second set speed
24. Switch to fm3 (SL)
25. Verify swash plate is level and not moving
26. Switch back to fm2
27. TH on…motor to stop and green light flashing
28. Unplug battery

CHECK FOR VIBES
29. Attach head and check for vibes.
30. Attach (balanced) tail blades and check for vibes again.
31. Attach main blades and check for vibes (outside).
32. Fly!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks good, only thing I would add for sure is check your fail safe. With no blades on spoil it up, then turn off your TX and make sure the heli stops.

For vibes with no blades on spoil it up and touch the boom and feel for vibes. With blades on you can look for canopy shutters or tail fin shutters.

Ensure everything is right and all metal to metal is lock tighted
Old 07-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you calibrate the min - max RPM?

Old 07-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have not calibrated the min-max rpm. I don't know how to do that, and will need to do some reading when I get home tonight. Was it in the setup instructions?
Old 07-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

It was part of the videos by Chris Sexton, if you watched them. If you have questions , just ask.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Okay, I think I see how to set the throttle endpoints now. Thanks for the pointer. (Is Chris ever going to finish that "next" video?!)

If I run +-12 pitch, what cyclic pitch would you guys recommend? Did some reading on it last night and found differing opinions. Some said "10" and others said "max it out because it's used to set the gain." Anybody know the right answer (and can explain it)?

I'm also wondering whether it would be best to go with a NORMAL and STUNT mode, or two STUNT modes. My dx6i only has two modes, and I've always used NORMAL for take off and landing in the past. With the iKON soft start, it seems like two (governed) STUNT modes might be a better way to go. Interested in your thoughts and opinions.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Max the cyclic throw before any binding. When you select the heli size in the software (450 in our case), the software presets a cyclic gain. This can be adjusted to your liking. If you set it at say 10-12 and you find that you want more as your skills progress, then you'll have to mechanically adjust it.

As far as your flight modes, I'd continue with what you're used to until you get comfortable with the X3. I lift off, fly and land in a governed idle up mode with a linear pitch curve, but that's just me! It takes some concentration because you can easily plant your bird in the dirt if you panic and drop the throttle (negative pitch!).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.