Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Questions on configuring ESC

I received my new Align RCE-BL45X ESC tonight and reading over the instructions I have a couple of questions on configuration. Has anyone configured one of these before?

1. It talks about a break; what is that? It has the option for Disabled, soft and hard break.

2. Electric Timing Option. Since the H450 is a 6 pole motor, would the recommended option be mid timing or high timing? High timing gives more power at the expense of efficiency.

3. Trying to decide the best mode 1 or 2. 1 being Normal mode with soft start and 2 being soft start with governor mode, but they say in the instructions that this is not suitable for Normal flight mode.

Appreciate any words of wisdom or help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtruk View Post
I received my new Align RCE-BL45X ESC tonight and reading over the instructions I have a couple of questions on configuration. Has anyone configured one of these before?

1. It talks about a break; what is that? It has the option for Disabled, soft and hard break.

2. Electric Timing Option. Since the H450 is a 6 pole motor, would the recommended option be mid timing or high timing? High timing gives more power at the expense of efficiency.

3. Trying to decide the best mode 1 or 2. 1 being Normal mode with soft start and 2 being soft start with governor mode, but they say in the instructions that this is not suitable for Normal flight mode.

Appreciate any words of wisdom or help. Thanks!
1. Turn the brake off. It is never used for helicopter setups. It's only used for some airplane setups and it is literally a braking function that forcibly stops the motor from turning. For instance I use it on my sailplane to stop the prop so the folding props will fold back when the motor stops.

2. I've never used that ESC, but I usually run low timing (most efficient) on my Castle ESCs. Most ESCs these days automatically determine proper timing for the connected motor and that setting is just a narrow range within the detected band. Somebody with some more experience with Align ESCs may be able to offer some more insight there.

3. Governor mode is a mode where the ESC automatically manages (governs) the head speed. The reason you can't use it with normal mode is because the whole idea of "normal" mode is where the throttle is keyed to a variable throttle "curve" in the transmitter. When using the governor you would use flat throttle curves with uniform values that correspond to your desired head speed for each mode. It's an advanced feature, so I wouldn't recommend it until you do some more research to understand how it works on that ESC. For now I'd say stick to mode 1.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I had mine i had brake on because I kept missing turning it off. it was hard to tell. but hey stopping the motor sooner is a good thing less chance of stripping a gear in a crash.
Fooferdoggie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys, that helps a lot! I just soldered on my connector last night and am going to try programming it tonight. I have a new Hitec tail servo coming in tonight as well so I can set the entire system to 6V. I'm pretty excited to get out this weekend to fly with all the upgrades that I've been doing over the last week. Not that they needed to be done, but you know, it's fun! My wife just doesn't quite understand that it's not 100% just about the helicopter...I just like to tinker, as probably most do in this hobby. :-)

I'll keep you posted on how everything works out. I decided to go with the Align mostly because everyone else is using the CC Ice Lite and I have to be different. ;-) If it works for the 450L is should be good for the X!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtruk View Post
I decided to go with the Align mostly because everyone else is using the CC Ice Lite and I have to be different. ;-) If it works for the 450L is should be good for the X!
Performance-wise as a straight ESC I'm sure it will be great. And believe me I understand the urge to stand away from the herd. However there are some good features in Castle controllers that make it worth it in my opinion. Castle's "set rpm" governor, integrated logging, built-in RPM phase sensor, adjustable BEC and USB interface are miles above what any of the other guys are offering. I'm just saying there's a reason people like them. However if you're not planning to use any of their advanced features, then I agree you're better off with something less complex and less costly.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Airetic

Now if Castle would just make the internal BEC on the Edge 50 as robust as the Talon series, we would have a truly amazing product. They really need to merge the features of those two lines.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloXray View Post
Now if Castle would just make the internal BEC on the Edge 50 as robust as the Talon series, we would have a truly amazing product. They really need to merge the features of those two lines.
+1 agreed whole-heartedly there. I wish someone could explain why they had to make it an either-or choice....bigger BEC or logging....dammit I want both
Old 11-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

So put my new Hitec HSG-5084 tail servo on last night and wow, was that fun. Once I got everything tightened down and checked that it was working ok I took it outside. And around and around she goes.... Oops, didn't check to make sure the blades were moving in the right direction as the standard DS76T is set to R in the DX6i. So got that fixed but still acting weird. Pull out manual and yet, the gyro is trying to correct the tail in the other direction. Hi ho hi on online I go to find the manual for the gyro. I'm hesitant to play around with settings in here since I don't really know what I'm doing but I finally get it and reverse the gyro tail control. Another spin up test outside and everything looks good. Today I hope to get in a few flights to really test out the new H450 and tail. Once all looks good I'm going to put in the new ESC this weekend and start playing around with blade balancing and working on checking pitch. I just bought the digital pitch gauge and am curious how my bird is setup. I've never actually checked the pitch before.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flew 4 packs tonight and was having some major tail wag issues. From what I've been reading dropping the gyro gain on my TX should correct the issue. I'm running at 77 right now from the stock tail servo. With the Hitec servo, how far should I reduce to start with, if that will in fact fix the issue. What I was experiencing is when applying left rudder the bird would start to bounce back and forth pretty violently. I'm assuming that's the tail wag. Do I need to adjust the Beast or is this primarily a TX gyro issue? Thanks again guys!
Old 07-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

gtruk... If your still flying the DX9 radio here is what I do...
get ready to fly.. then on your radio go to your Gyro setting select it and have it flashing.. then put your heli in the air.. while hovering lower your Gyro gain to the point where the wag stops.. I lower it fairly slowly and will do some piros to see how it reacts... My 6s 450 Dom ands up with a gyro setting of something like 15 or 20..
FuzzzMan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Funny how we sometimes dont look at the date when we reply....
FuzzzMan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in