Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Other Electronics (Gimbals, Ground Controllers)

Other Electronics (Gimbals, Ground Controllers) Other Electronics (Gimbals, Ground Controllers)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 07:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Default Jumping ship to Immersion EZUHF

Sadly, after trying the Dragon Link UHF system for a while, I'm going to abandon it in favor of Immersion RC's EZUHF system. The primary reason I went with the Dragon Link was because of a misprint in an online catalog that said its TX had a 2W output on high power setting and the fact that they offer a 12 channel RX. Well, as it turned out, the actual outputs are identical to Immersion's (200 and 600mW) and I, stupidly in my haste, failed to notice that one can assign any of the 8 channels on Immersion's RX to pass through the PPM signal, which makes it as flexible as the DL. But, none of these things are the show stopper for me.

The real show stopper is the Dragon's incredibly annoying habit of occasionally and extremely briefly, acting as if it had lost connection, causing controls to, just for an instant go to a middle position, or do it seems. It never presents any real danger, but I can't tell you how many good shots have been ruined when, say, I'll be sweeping through a nice turn or zooming along and all of a second, for a split second, it's like I've suddenly jammed on the brakes. Not to mention, when hovering, it will occasionally sound like the motors drop to idle. Again, it only lasts for a split second, but it's super annoying, not to mention nerve wracking. I've tweaked and upgraded firmware, but all my UHF equipped birds still do this, so I'm finally giving up and making the switch. Without even switching a bird over yet, I already know I'm going to like this system better. It's simply better laid out and with a RX that's a nice squarish block and not an irregular blob like the DL's, it'll mount nice and tidy, very easily. It's also nice that the RX is diversity capable, although at the wavelength these operate at, the antennas need to be spaced much further apart than often seen, using coax to separate them, to achieve useful diversity.

As soon as I get the first Disco switched over, I'll update, although I know a lot of you already use EZ and love them. Silly me for not listening and paying better attention.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

A lot of people I fly with use EZUHF. They say it's a great system.

I switched from FrSky over to OpenLRS and couldn't be happier. I love the way you can stream PPM, or assign RSSI to a specific channel. It's very flexible.
veeref is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

I've been using the external standalone EzUHF transmitter through my Spektrum DX18 for a while. All of a sudden it started acting up and intermittently losing connection to the DX18. I think it's because I've managed to wear out one of the connections or something. It's enough that it's hard for me to trust it, but I haven't really narrowed down the root cause yet. The UHF link to the receiver has been flawless, but these points of failure connecting to the transmitter through the trainer jack worry me. I've been seriously considering getting a Taranis and the EzUHF JR module instead.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
I've been using the external standalone EzUHF transmitter through my Spektrum DX18 for a while. All of a sudden it started acting up and intermittently losing connection to the DX18. I think it's because I've managed to wear out one of the connections or something. It's enough that it's hard for me to trust it, but I haven't really narrowed down the root cause yet. The UHF link to the receiver has been flawless, but these points of failure connecting to the transmitter through the trainer jack worry me. I've been seriously considering getting a Taranis and the EzUHF JR module instead.
Wouldn't it be a big joke on me if it turned out just to be a connector issue? I have actually gone over them very carefully and other people have reported the same issue, but...

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 08-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My DragonLink also does the jump every once in a while, only when doing long distance though, 1km or more. I pucker every time.

Although its not good to have it is good to hear other people have the same annoying glitch and it hasn't posed andy real threat.
Tesla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
My DragonLink also does the jump every once in a while, only when doing long distance though, 1km or more. I pucker every time.

Although its not good to have it is good to hear other people have the same annoying glitch and it hasn't posed andy real threat.
Maybe it's something with my particular TX configuration, but my one does it near, far, whenever. For example, in this video from my Disco #1, you can see it do it at 15 seconds in, only about 75' past me. Then, it does it again, about 1/3 mile down the road. This is with the TX in hi power mode. But, yeah, never actually caused any actual danger, although when my S800EVO glitches, it is indeed sphincter tightening to hear the motors, holding up $7000 worth of hardware, cough like they're thinking of packing up. Or, you're in the middle of a really nice, swooping and coordinated turn that would look great on video and bing! The stupid thing spazzes for a half second, ruining the whole thing.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 08-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Almost sounds like a reset of the receiver. How is it powered?
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

So what radio setup are you using BIG?
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
HF MR Support

@Seti: The RX is powered the usual way, off the Naza's BEC.

@Pete: The TX is a Futaba 14SG, with the Dragon Link TX feeding a Diamond 1/2 wave antenna and powered by its own 800mAh Lipo pack.

One interesting thing I noticed, is that when the servo travel limits on the TX are pushed out far, it seems to glitch more often, which makes me wonder if it's not some sort of issue with the thing not properly interpreting frames from the Futaba sometimes. I really should have a look sometime at the RX's PPM output on my storage scope and see what, if any, anomalous event I can capture. But, in the meantime, I just want to be able to fly without this annoyance, so I'm bailing out for EZUHF.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in