Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Need Help Setting up 401 on a Spektrum AR6100 PLEASE "DX6I"

Im trying to set up my 401 with on my AR6100.
So far i hooked the tail servo directly up to the RUDD channel, got the servo centered, the tail centered and hooked up all mechanically.

Next i connected the tail servo to the gyro, put the one "blue, red, black" wire in the "RUDD" port on the receiver, and the yellow wire in the GEAR port.

Now im clueless on how to set up the radio. Finless says to set up 2 end points, one in HH mode, and one in Standard Mode, on a switch. How do i do this on my DX6I?
CagedVR6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm not familiar with the DX6i, but here's the basic setup for a 401

Enter into the programming menu, Go to the TRAV ADJ (or ATV) Menu. Set the gear channel to -75% on one side and +75% on the other side. Now you can use the GEAR switch on the TX for Gyro selection.

Power on the TX, then power on the heli. Wait 5 sec. and toggle the GEAR switch while watching the LED on the gyro. If the LED turns on and off with the switch, you're done.

You will need to fine tune your settings, and linkages, with flight tests....
Old 03-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Not sure how the GYRO menu is set up on the DX6, but a quick an dirty way is to go into the endpoints screen on the gear channel and set the endpoint for both switch positions to about 73-75. With the gear switch away from you (assuming you haven't reversed the channel) that will get you about 34 or so for gain in heading hold mode.

With the switch towards you, that'll will get you similar gain in rate mode.

Gain right in this area is pretty close to what you'll need to keep the tail holding solid.

Why does an endpoint in the mid-70s equal a low-mid 30s on the gyro? Because of the "odd" way the Tx calculates the gain... Basiclaly, the formula is this:

[end point percentage] - 50 * 1.44. So, if you set the end point to 75, you'd end up with 36 at the gyro.

75 - 50 * 1.44 = 36

The GYRO menu values work out the same way.. Jermo's DX7 video shows how to use that method and it should be pretty similar to how the DX6i is set up.

Good luck!

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you set gear channel end points (NOT using the gyro menu), the setting = gain, no funny calculations.

So the easy way, set the Gear end points to +50 (switch away from you) and - 50 (switch toward you). You may have to reverse the channel to get this. Then rebind the Rx with the gear switch away from you.

Then when you power up with the switch away from you, the LED on the 401 should light up solid. This is heading hold mode. Flip the gear switch dow (towards you) and hte light should go out, this is rate mode.

Adjust the + value as needed when flying. It will probably wag some with the gain set at 50. If so, reduce the the gear channel end point until the wag stops. If it doesn't wag, and the tail doesn't seem to be holding, increase the end point.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 07:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just a note. On Spektrum radios endpoints is called travel adjustment.

Big Fil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

So under Gyro, should i have that Inhibited
And then adjust the "gyro" point on the travel adjust?
No matter what i do the gyro keeps blinking.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hanst anyone done this before, i dont get why its so hard to get info.
UNDER travel adjust, how do you go -, it wont let me....
Old 03-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ok CagedVR6,

in the travel adjust menu, rool the knob until you are on the gyro Purcentage. with your gyro swith at position 0 (arrow pointing up) press the rooling knob once to select then rool until you are at 75% then put the gyro switch on position 1 (down switch, down arrow) then rool the knob until you have the desired value 73-75??. I dont know the 401 very well but the Dx6i... Yes...

HTH
bgagnon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's a video of the setup on my DX6i flying my Raptor 60 with a 401 on the tail.

Only thing I didn't mention was the gyro 3 wire plug goes into the receiver's rudder channel and the lonely wire plug goes into the channel next to it labeled gear.

Also, you can change which switch selects what gain in the gyro gain mode. Default is GYRO switch, which I changed to F.Mode. BTW, you can verify what's happening to the gyro gain output by going into the monitor mode while switching gyro gain back and forth..

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JlerchTampa (my you-tube crash videos)
http://lerch.no-ip.com/Hat_Cam ("Hat Cam" for recording flights)
JimLerch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

How is your gyro at 87%
isnt that standard mode?
Old 03-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgagnon View Post
ok CagedVR6,

in the travel adjust menu, rool the knob until you are on the gyro Purcentage. with your gyro swith at position 0 (arrow pointing up) press the rooling knob once to select then rool until you are at 75% then put the gyro switch on position 1 (down switch, down arrow) then rool the knob until you have the desired value 73-75??. I dont know the 401 very well but the Dx6i... Yes...

HTH
On the gyro menu, should i have the gyro Inhibited?

Also im curious why when both switch positions are set to the save "75" value, the down position is rate mode, and up is Heading Hold.

What gain does that = out to?

Would lowering or increasing the number, yield more gain?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CagedVR6 View Post
How is your gyro at 87%
isnt that standard mode?
Nope, that's heading hold mode for the DX6i and a 401 IF the gyro channel is not reveresed.
  • 0% - 49% = Rate Mode
  • 51% - 100% = Heading Hold
  • 50% = (I don't know, but I guess no gyro assist??
Keep in mind, the gyro gain signal (the lonely yellow wire) is electrically equivalent to a standard servo operating a gain knob inside the gyro. So if I reversed the output of the gyro gain servo channel on Tx, then 0 - 49% would become HH and 51 - 100% would be rate (or normal) mode.

The gyro gain channel is not magic, it behaves just like any other servo connected to the receiver. If your gyro had an external gain knob that you could adjust with a screw driver, you could skip the lonely yellow wire for the gyro gain. If you wanted to get real geeky, you could install a servo connected to screw driver connected to the external gain knob on the Gyro and end up with the same exact results, but you could see things move, and ppl would look at you funny..
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JlerchTampa (my you-tube crash videos)
http://lerch.no-ip.com/Hat_Cam ("Hat Cam" for recording flights)
JimLerch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, i ended up doing it with endpoints, so would be cool if someone has the answer to my previous questions
Old 03-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am dealing with the same question. Do you Inhibit the GYRO in Radio or not? I thought the 401GYRO could pretty much work by its self. Would like to hear what you figured out.
silver11 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes inhibit the gyro menu if your using end points.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can Inhibit the Gyro and just set the Travel Adjust on the Gear channel for gain. In that case the number set = the gain. Because in this case the gear end points are set to 0 to -100 on one side and 0 to +100 on the other.

In this case, start with about +50 on the HH side and -50 on the rate side.

The advantage to using the Gryo menu is that you can setup different gains for each flight mode. With using just the Gear end points, you have one gain set for all modes. Which for many people is fine. And less hard on your head in trying to figure out what your actual gain setting it.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in