Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Odin and 3D+

Odin and 3D+ Compass Odin and 3D+ Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3d plus parts

I've really been wanting a 3d plus as a first nitro but I'm concerned about parts. I'm thinking I might put a 6hvu head and tail on it so that takes care of those parts. Also I work in a cabinet shop with a cnc so I can make any of the carbon fiber parts. What else is gonna be difficult to find that can't be borrowed from a 6hv? I'm guessing its not very common to break the bellcranks for the servos in crashes. I also know a machinist that could make some basic parts. I think I remember someone saying the clutch assembly is hard to find. Did anyone find something from a different heli that will work for this? I was thinking maybe something from a synergy could work paired with the 6hvu helical since they have the same profile. I've never built a nitro so I'm not sure what's involved with getting things to pair together between the motor mount/motor/clutch/main gear.
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 3D+ is still in its box because I haven't gotten together everything to finish it yet, but as far as I know the clutch is the killer. If you could get some thing like an N5C or N7 clutch to work that would be pretty cool. Please update me if you take this project on.

Saje Marvin - Citizen 125
Raz0rSh4rp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'll let you know if I order one. I'm curious if hobbyhanger is updating their stock number. I thought they only had 3 before you got one? Still says 3 in stock
Old 09-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's all so different on the 3D+, I can't see very many things that will cross over. Clutches have been unavailable ever since the model was discontinued. I too wanted to build this excellent model. Once again, no parts. Oh, the skids are still made - they are now used for the 6HVU, at least that was the package label when I received a set last winter. No deice on pinions and main gears to my knowledge. Boom is smaller diameter than 6HVU. Maybe 6HV will work there. Then there is the starter shaft and coupler and their bearings and block. Those are wear items, that I doubt will be available.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Clutch and frames are the only two items I know of in short supply, which I'm working on both. The clutch is actually the hardest thing to make and it wasnt as durable as the Knight clutch, but I definitely aim to improve on it.The frames are planned to include the new provision for the 6HVU tail assembly (boom, block, belt, tail box) as well as the regular 6HV/Knight/3D+ tail design if possible. Its a slow process but I've been grounding through it little by little and hopefully we can all reap the rewards of breathing life back into this awesome machine!!!
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2014, 12:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's great! We are all counting on you. I still want the 3d plus to be my first nitro. I'm not too concerned about frames. First thing I will do if I buy the kit is make a template of the frames. I can just trace the outside and chase through all the holes with a drill press then cut copies out of carbon when needed. I have a CNC at work but I'm thinking it would be more work if there's not already a PDF available.

Out of curiosity, how long will the clutch last? If I can get a few hundred flights out of it, I might just grab a kit without worrying about the clutch for now. I have absolutely 0 experience with nitro. Will a single hot start kill the clutch?
Old 09-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been meaning to draw the frames up in autocad for awhile but I've been lazy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Saje Marvin - Citizen 125
Raz0rSh4rp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hit starts can break them, yes. But so far none of mine have broken on me (knock on wood!). They should last a long time, but that was part of the plan in the redesign was to make ybema little more robust. Its been a bit since I heard back from that shop so I may try elsewhere. I'd thought if doing a 3D printed version first to check tolerances, but I figure if I can get a working model going then I can work on a final material to make them out of and get a few tested in the machine. Summer is running out so I might have more time for 'projects' soon and hopefully I can get to a resolution on the clutches. Sorry for the wait if anyone has been following the progress.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just curious, as I haven't had a 3D plus to compare with, what is it in the dimensions or frame layout that prevents something more generic like a Raptor clutch/fan/pinion being used instead ?

It would seem like if the 3D plus clutch is the big sticking point to just use an entirely different stack. The differences are going to be in the fan dimensions and the overall height but I would think those things could be overcome. At the end of the day what you want is a hub with a fan and clutch terminating in a 10 tooth pinion at the top which fits into a bearing.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was thinking the same thing. Shouldn't be that hard as long as the assembly puts the pinion at the right height. I think some guys were just trying to find a clutch that would fit which is probably much more difficult.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The 3D+ stack was changes pretty drastically from the Knight 3D (which could borrow parts off a Raptor, coincidentally). I'm sure they had their reasons for wanting to use a different setup but it sucks that it ended up being the pitfall of the model.

If I were more versed at the CAD programming I'm sure setting up the frames to accommodate something like an Align or Synergy clutch would work (or even revert back to the K3D/Raptor style since it was a really durable setup).

Now that winter is on its way I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to dedicate to tweaking the design. I still haven't heard back from the CNC shop I was hoping to work with so maybe I'll have to look elsewhere.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworx View Post
The 3D+ stack was changes pretty drastically from the Knight 3D (which could borrow parts off a Raptor, coincidentally). I'm sure they had their reasons for wanting to use a different setup but it sucks that it ended up being the pitfall of the model.

If I were more versed at the CAD programming I'm sure setting up the frames to accommodate something like an Align or Synergy clutch would work (or even revert back to the K3D/Raptor style since it was a really durable setup).

Now that winter is on its way I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to dedicate to tweaking the design. I still haven't heard back from the CNC shop I was hoping to work with so maybe I'll have to look elsewhere.
Yeah, I haven't had the benefit of being able to see first hand what the differences are. My thought it just in the direction of going with what I know, which is that things like engine mounts can be fabricated without too much difficulty but a clutch is a tricky thing.

I am playing around at the moment with a custom frameset on a Hirobo SDX and it got me wondering what it takes to cut this G10 sheet material, so I am casually looking into this sort of thing. I have had lots of little ali parts made cheaply for other heli projects.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 06:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A home CNC router can cut G10, no problem. I had a buddy in Arizona that bought one of those inexpensive ones and kept it in his garage. He got into the FPV stuff and started churning out his own frame pieces and doublers. You can cut carbon fiber too, but unfortunately it wears on the tooling a lot more and the material itself is quite pricey on its own.

Aluminum is fairly easy to machine, but if you get into the better stuff it will take different tooling or will wear quicker. I've considered going to school for it, but I think I need to focus more on electronics before branching out.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

They sure didn't support the model long after producing it. I wanted one in the worst way.

Wonder if John has any clutches left over in Australia?
Old 10-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, technically speaking they support everything else it seems, just not the clutch, canopy, and frame sets. Everything else is basically shared with the the 6HV or they have plenty of parts left in stock so they should be viable again if we get these parts taken care of. The canopies are already produced my Fusuno, but it might have to be a factory order to get them in. Maybe see about sticking a 6HVU lid on it if the + canos aren't a possibility. Just an idea anyway.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bet Fusuno would make one like the factory color scheme...oddly enough. I'd have the Odin V2 canopy scheme done if I were doing one up. The yellow and red was cool, IMO. I have an Odin V2 FB ship (actually 2 of them). Maybe ones the Chronos comes out, I can snag a 7HV FBL head for the project. Then, once I acquire my YS 91SRX, I can move my YS 91sr to the Odin.

I guess you're correct, Tim, they provide many of the items, but mostly due to 6HV...and I bet it's not long either.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

i recently met a retired guy while out flying that has his own machine shop. hes bored and always looking for projects. im helping him setup his first 700 and he said he would be happy to help me out on some machining projects. might be worth looking into for making some clutches.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, if he wants the step file and drawing I'd be happy to share and he can experiment as desired. I could care less who gets one made as long as it works and it can be reproduced.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rob,

Did you ever try a 7HV head on your Odin II?

It makes for a really great flying helicopter!
Old 11-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, I didn't RAK. I decided against building it out due to parts. It was more cost effective for me to simply buy an Align 700N aiframe. Such an aftermarket for them, and plenty of parts.

Some day, I might do it for the kicks, but I don't have all the parts to complete one.

Now I find I actually have more fun flying 50 class nitro, anyhow. Have a TT X50, but they too are now discontinued, although parts are still available. And, although the TSA and Synergy 50's are very nice, they are very heavy. I think this was another attribute of the 3D+ - it was light. So, that almost leaves me back to Align again.

It still bums me that Compass couldn't stay in this segment of the market.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in