Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Props-Duration, Performance, Stability

Props-Duration, Performance, Stability Props-Duration, Performance, Stability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What's your record # of broken blades in a day?

James commented in his last video about the number of blades he broke which got me thinking about how many of us blow through blades like candy on Halloween.

So, what is your maximum blades destroyed on a single day & what brand/size??

------------------------------------------------------------
On my 250 my max was 17 hq 5x3 carbon composite. 16 is my max on hq 5x4 glass fiber (very frustrating day, I felt like such a loser).

A blackout hex racer we fly with broke 17 gemfans nylons on his first day flying rotorcross with us.

Diviner Gregg

FPV Racing Channel . . . new episode every other Friday
Diviner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

So far 2. Lol... Gemfan 5030's. Been fpving for about 3 weeks and started with 16 blades. I think I've only gone through 4 or 5.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nothing significant but it sure made me think of a time back in my early days of CP Heli. I thought I was saving money by using clone and cheaper parts (we all realize soon enough this is incorrect). I went to a park one morning with my 450 & my 250. Set them up on the picnic table for several flights of both. Started up my 450 and was just hovering and doing some small circuits at about 20-25 feet up. A cyclic servo locked up and it just started sliding in a downward clockwise circle. Being relatively new and inexperienced, coupled with sub-par components, I didn't really have a decent chance at saving the Heli. I basically wiggled the sticks and watched it build a head of steam and head right to the picnic table where I had my 250 sitting. I hit the throttle hold in time to save some gears but the inertia was there. It hit my 250 and sent them both flying. So I managed to crash two helicopters at the same time. I was done with sub-par components at that point. Lesson learned the hard way.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc357sd View Post
Nothing significant but it sure made me think of a time back in my early days of CP Heli. I thought I was saving money by using clone and cheaper parts (we all realize soon enough this is incorrect). I went to a park one morning with my 450 & my 250. Set them up on the picnic table for several flights of both. Started up my 450 and was just hovering and doing some small circuits at about 20-25 feet up. A cyclic servo locked up and it just started sliding in a downward clockwise circle. Being relatively new and inexperienced, coupled with sub-par components, I didn't really have a decent chance at saving the Heli. I basically wiggled the sticks and watched it build a head of steam and head right to the picnic table where I had my 250 sitting. I hit the throttle hold in time to save some gears but the inertia was there. It hit my 250 and sent them both flying. So I managed to crash two helicopters at the same time. I was done with sub-par components at that point. Lesson learned the hard way.
Maybe in the world of helis but with quads you can save a ton of money using clone parts and there really isn't a disadvantage.

I probably saved anywhere from $300 - $400 using clone parts on my 250 build and it flies just as well as a name brand and is just as durable.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Exactly. In the world of helis
I am piecing together a clone 250 quad too. Some things are just as good with clone. Others I still feel it's best to utilize quality components.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Lost 4 BRAND NEW 10x4.5 CF Ebay blades(and an arm) on my Alien Clone 450 when I over cooked a turn and did a wall plant on an arch on my front porch, and subsequent fall onto the concrete driveway. I had extra arms and props and made 1 arm repairs within 30 min. Flew the rest of the 3300 battery and when I landed, picked up the multi by the opposite arm and one side of that prop twisted right off...you guessed right, ALL of them were barely holding on after being cracked at the hub...
Lesson learned
Old 09-25-2014, 02:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Five or six in a couple of hours (sort of lost count actually) dialing in the Spanky. Luckily, they were just the cheapie kind.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My first few flying sessions with the fpv250 I was doing a couple of sets of props in 6 flights, I thought that was a lot, so ordered a ton of props, and it settled right down.

I think it also depends on what props, I've been using the cheap gemfan 5x3 which work great but are pretty weak - which I like as they just break and you don't damage motor/quad so its a quick cheap fix. Typically any flying around tree's I change at least the front props after a flying session (normally 6 flights) as they are chipped.

Sunday afternoon 22 props was a record though, luckily I had a lot more in stock, I started the day with 4 sets of clear diatone and 10 sets of gemfans, so still have most of these left.

Most other people were using the emax or rctimer carbon props which seem much more robust, they will clip tree's with no damage, and even crash/tumbles only broke a prop every 2-3 crashes sometimes even more.

I've ordered some rctimer and emax (from banggood) carbon props to try out next time.
jamesb72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb72 View Post
My first few flying sessions with the fpv250 I was doing a couple of sets of props in 6 flights, I thought that was a lot, so ordered a ton of props, and it settled right down.

I think it also depends on what props, I've been using the cheap gemfan 5x3 which work great but are pretty weak - which I like as they just break and you don't damage motor/quad so its a quick cheap fix. Typically any flying around tree's I change at least the front props after a flying session (normally 6 flights) as they are chipped.

Sunday afternoon 22 props was a record though, luckily I had a lot more in stock, I started the day with 4 sets of clear diatone and 10 sets of gemfans, so still have most of these left.

Most other people were using the emax or rctimer carbon props which seem much more robust, they will clip tree's with no damage, and even crash/tumbles only broke a prop every 2-3 crashes sometimes even more.

I've ordered some rctimer and emax (from banggood) carbon props to try out next time.
Let me know how those work out.

My blade of choice is hq 5x4 glass fiber composite and hq 6x3 gf comp as they hold up better in crashes than the carbon composites. But for a race I would switch out.

Diviner Gregg

FPV Racing Channel . . . new episode every other Friday
Diviner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF MR Support

A little over a dozen trying to learn how to do multiple flips with a little R0sewhite quad.

I wish the Gemfans didn't brake quite so easily,... I also found if you persisted to keep on flying with a broken blade or two you might as well kiss the other good ones good bye also.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

jeremy51 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Another old thread you pulled up.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in