Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default O-Ring Dampers

I was thinking, which is usually a dangerous thing, about replacing the O-rings in the head. What I have in mind is using silicone fuel tubing cut in thin slices the same thickness as the o-ring. These would be similar to Trueblood head dampers for the TRex.

Basically, I'll take a piece of fuel tubing and cut about 6 slices, take the best 2 and pitch the rest. I've still got about 50' of Prather fuel tubing left over from the pattern days. (None of that cheap blue line crap for me.) So, if it works, I should have enough to make hundreds of shims.

If this works, it should be a little stiffer and they should wear a lot better. Will be a lot cheaper too. E-flite say to replace every 30 flights. Thing is, they come with other CP parts that cost $9.99. This would be nearly free.

Wadayathink?

I better change the Exacto blade so I can do some precision hacking.
skigolfmike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2008, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Might work but I thought they sold these Oring without that damn kit..
Hope so since i just blow mine up..
gatherman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Maybe it's not too bad. The O-rings are in EFLH1158, which is the O-ring and Tubing Set BCP and BCPP. It's $1.99. I thought they sold these with the BCP head block, my bad.

Still, I think the fuel tubing will be a little stiffer and last longer. (and it's free)
Old 03-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A month or so ago, I did some research and ended up with some orings from Mcmaster-carr item #5233T28. They turned out to be just the ticket. We have tried one oring and two shims and 2 orings and one shim and the head is stiff and the orings are holding up very well. I think you can buy a pack of 50 for like 7 bucks or something.

Just info in case you want an alternative.

Z
Zman39 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 11:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hey Zman
That sounds like a good solution, thanks for the idea.
I just ordered a pack, what do you think is the best setup, 2 o rings 1 shim or 1 o ring 2 shims?

Cheers

Last edited by Wayno; 03-15-2008 at 07:24 AM..
Wayno is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

The original setup from the factory was 1 O-ring and 2 shims on each side.
Now, I've read the B400 is coming from the factory with 1 O-ring and 4 shims on each side and that will improve cyclic response if you want it.
The choice is yours.

Oops, I see you are talking about different O-rings...never mind.
Wolfpackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpackin View Post
The original setup from the factory was 1 O-ring and 2 shims on each side.
Now, I've read the B400 is coming from the factory with 1 O-ring and 4 shims on each side and that will improve cyclic response if you want it.
The choice is yours.

Oops, I see you are talking about different O-rings...never mind.

What different O-rings? I only know of the ones in the head set up in the rear of the grips???

mine came with O-ring and shims but after a crash I had lots of play forget who it was, maybe Sokal, told me to put 3 shims on each side and I've been gold since. Thanks Sokal
LockMD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Same location different manufacturer of the O-ring.
They are talking about Mcmaster-carr O-rings.
Wolfpackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

another thing you can do to stiffen up the o-rings is dab some CA glue on them and allow it to dry (and try not to get them stuck to your fingers or the table) the CA will harden the rubber just enough that it makes things rigid, but not enough that its hard... once it dries, just kinda squeeze them a bit and put them back in the head. I have had no issues doing this, no binding or anything, and they seem to last alot longer, i have well over 30 flights and havent seen any considerable wear.
Akbrener is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigolfmike View Post
I was thinking, which is usually a dangerous thing, about replacing the O-rings in the head. What I have in mind is using silicone fuel tubing cut in thin slices the same thickness as the o-ring. These would be similar to Trueblood head dampers for the TRex.

Basically, I'll take a piece of fuel tubing and cut about 6 slices, take the best 2 and pitch the rest. I've still got about 50' of Prather fuel tubing left over from the pattern days. (None of that cheap blue line crap for me.) So, if it works, I should have enough to make hundreds of shims.

If this works, it should be a little stiffer and they should wear a lot better. Will be a lot cheaper too. E-flite say to replace every 30 flights. Thing is, they come with other CP parts that cost $9.99. This would be nearly free.

Wadayathink?

I better change the Exacto blade so I can do some precision hacking.
I just went to the local auto parts store and purchased the correct o-rings for $3.00 for five of them. You might check that out.
glassier is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm still lost here. You guys say they wear out in about 30 flights? I've had my bird since 12/27/07 5-6 flight per day and O-rings are fine. So why or how are yours wearing soo fast?
Old 03-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

It appears that the O-rings are the same for the CP Pro AND the Blade 400.

I have found that most good hardware stores have O-rings in bulk. Has anyone
taken one in and looked to see if they have a decent supply at a reasonable price?

I'm going to check it out next week some afternoon......I'll post what I find.

"If you're not flyin, you're not tryin' "
Heli Jim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

well over 350 flights orig O-rings. Whats the deal?
Old 03-17-2008, 07:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I personally like the 2 orings each side with one shim plus the bearing shim.

Z
Zman39 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockMD View Post
I'm still lost here. You guys say they wear out in about 30 flights? I've had my bird since 12/27/07 5-6 flight per day and O-rings are fine. So why or how are yours wearing soo fast?
E-flite says to replace every 30 flights not that they are wearing out. I have not replaced any of mine yet but one is showing signs of wear so thats why I went and bought some. I think that it may make a difference. I guess I will see.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassier View Post
E-flite says to replace every 30 flights not that they are wearing out. I have not replaced any of mine yet but one is showing signs of wear so thats why I went and bought some. I think that it may make a difference. I guess I will see.

So what are signs, if any, that they are wearing other then tearing it apart and looking?

Everytime I had to tear it down I have inspected minus the last two times, I do have Tri-Flow lube on them. Not sure if that makes a difference but they SEEM to be fine.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #17 (permalink)

The one that is a little damaged has a little fray on one side. I'm not sure if it was caused by the last time I tried to bury it in the dirt or not but I suspect that may be the case as the feathering shaft was bent pretty good
Old 03-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

thats my point. I have replaced the feather shaft at least 5 or 6 times now and dont see any damage to the O-rings (maybe I should look closer?) but is there tell tale signs of flight characteristics to say 'look at the O-rings'?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Last time I rebuilt mine I used RC car diff lube, plus I added 2 shims a side. My B400 is flying pretty good, so I'm not messin' with it for now. I was just thinking about using the fuel tubing when I do need to replace the O-rings. Works on the TRex, why not the B400.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ever since I put grease on the o-rings, like the manual says, I don't get those thin rubber slivers that it was shedding from the factory.
GreenBar0n is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in