Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 700X

Blade 700X Blade 700X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebbyson View Post
Let's all move on to a new heli... Whose heli will become our primary machine to fly ...
Gaui for my next larger heli (X5, X7). Love my X3 and I thank Blade for opening me up to Gaui because they never released any sort of a carbon fiber framed type 450 heli or even did a mentionable update on the existing 450X. The V2 was a joke of an "update". And, I waited for a long, long time after they hinted about some new über 450 type heli with carbon fiber frames that never materialized. Got tired of waiting and got the X3. Awesome heli. A "stretched" 450 capable of running 360mm blades and 6S right out of the box.
jadewarrior is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was one of the ones that stood by Horizon and said no they will not discontinue the pro series, there will be a version 2. I stood by there crapy tail box that strips gears. I thought people were just not getting it shimmed up properly. I personally did not have problems with the gears stripping, but when I took mine apart for some winter maintenance I noticed that the bearings that mount into the plastic box for the gear was flopping side to side. I thought no wonder people are stripping these gears. I came up with my own fix to keep the bearings tight in the plastic box. I was going to post some pictures of my fix, but now that it is discounted I lost interest in posting the info. I am pissed at Horizon and when I can get my Hobby fund built back up I will be getting a new 700. Gaui, Synergy, or maybe I will give the Dart Tin DT 700 a try.
iKON DX9
Greg B is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
I noticed that the bearings that mount into the plastic box for the gear was flopping side to side. I thought no wonder people are stripping these gears. I came up with my own fix to keep the bearings tight in the plastic box.
Uh, what exactly is this "plastic box" relating to the TT bearings in the solid metal tail gearbox of the 700X?
Old 12-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am talking about the front box. Where the bearings mount in the box there was a gap left leaving the area that holds the bearing egg shaped.
The pictures are after I fixed it. You will see where I made 2 metal plates and drilled holes through it with a bolt installed and tightened just enough to pull the gap closed. Also had to put some small pieces of foil tap on each side of the bearing like the stuff you use on heating duct work to get the bearing to fit snugly. If you look closely at the first picture you will see the pieces of foil tape on each side to the bearing to take up the sideways slop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	559008   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	559009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	559010  
iKON DX9
Old 12-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh, okay. When you said "tail box" I thought you were talking about the TT gears in the tail gearbox because that's where I've read about the problems. Personally, I haven't had any issues with my TT gears at either end.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

I posted a comment on Blade's Facebook page, how it would be nice to get some info on the 500, 600, and 700, or are they reverting to only working on entry level helis and quads now.....the post was removed within 5 minutes.

So there you have it. Blade will probably never sell anything larger than the 450 heli ever again.
CARMELHILL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2015, 10:13 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARMELHILL View Post
I posted a comment on Blade's Facebook page, how it would be nice to get some info on the 500, 600, and 700, or are they reverting to only working on entry level helis and quads now.
Brian James already posted that info here. He said the Pro Series helis were discontinued (he specifically said the 550X and 600X, but we now know the 700X is as well) and that Horizon would be "sticking with the segments that have historically been successful". That means the smaller 450 and under micro stuff and we already know they're quad crazy. The Pro Series just didn't sell well enough to be profitable or they'd still be around. Personally, I think it's because people remembered their somewhat checkered past and products, especially from the E-flite days, and not enough people were willing to risk a chunk of change like that on a large kit built heli from Blade. Sad, because they actually were some pretty solid helis all around.

In fact, here's his exact post right from this very thread.

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=29
Old 01-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like this is where they put their priority.
Horizon Precision, Agricuture drones, a offshoot of Horizon Hobbies.
http://www.horizonprecision.com
iKON DX9
Old 01-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 01-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, that's a new one... So, that's where any future Pro Series R&D funds went. Guess our "toys" aren't all that important to them anymore.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:11 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's not just Horizon Hobby doing this; even Align is putting their focus on the quads now because they feel that's the bigger market for the future. The tell-tale indicator is that Align cancelled their annual helicopter fun fly this year in Taiwan because they're putting all their resources into developing the quad market.

Kevin
kchen95 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 700X discontinued on blade website

Blade Helis is no longer a helicopter manufacturer, they now make drones and quads. And a few micro toys. It sucks, but I guess that's where the money is. They bit off way too much and extended themselves too far money-wise with the Pro series line. They had too much money invested producing the 500, 550, 600, 700...they could not recover enough income fast enough from sales and they had far too many production issues. They just couldn't afford it. Had they tried to make one model and get it off the ground (pun intended) and then come out with the next, say 1 a year, they probably could've made it work. At least they tried. Maybe they will try again with better knowledge and experience. And the 700x is still a good platform, I think we will see more like it in the future, if not from Blade, from somebody. I hope.
AdamW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
They had too much money invested producing the 500, 550, 600, 700...they could not recover enough income fast enough from sales and they had far too many production issues.
Such as? Aside from the POS stock E-flite ESC in the early 550X helis, which was fixed very quickly and very appropriately via refund/price reduction, the rest of the time the models were pretty solid.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I had constant tail gear stripping issues on my 700x. Given time and money it was fixable. It was an acknowledged design issue at least.

In the end as with any mfg the first generation products are just that, first generation. Then the v2's come and then there is a chance they hit it out of the park.

Then there is the market. It's pretty feast or famine. And gets quite polarized. Even great 700's fail in the marketplace. 7HV has not done well. X7 does poorly in the US. Logo 700 is barely seen outside the hands of the Factory pilots. Each one is an interesting case as to why. As a mfg of large models you really have to figure out the target market, aesthetics, and have an understanding of what's driving buying decisions these days.

Anyway James Haley did some nice flights with his spektrum equipped Goblin 700C at OHB. Just in case there was any doubt. (-: some are posted on RunRyder.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Shimming those 700X tail gears properly fixes the issue. That's what the Blade team did. Otherwise, how did they get tons of accumulated flights on several 700X helis without losing the tail gears? There really can't even be a possibility of that happening during competition or demo flights. Believe me, they figured out a fix and I thought it filtered down to just about everyone.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you seen OTS fly? Thought not. He finds the weak spots, that's a for sure!!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcopterman View Post
Have you seen OTS fly? Thought not. He finds the weak spots, that's a for sure!!
Nope, and that may not actually always be a good thing to admit.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:23 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewarrior View Post
Shimming those 700X tail gears properly fixes the issue. That's what the Blade team did. Otherwise, how did they get tons of accumulated flights on several 700X helis without losing the tail gears? There really can't even be a possibility of that happening during competition or demo flights. Believe me, they figured out a fix and I thought it filtered down to just about everyone.
Unfortunately this wasn't true. They shimmed and some flights later they stripped. Problem with marginal gear issues is that they just come up over time. Really after lots of flights you come back to the same conclusion.

The first time I had a look at the 700x my first concern was the obviously under designed tail gears for a 700 heli. At the XFC where it premiered James had a tail gear strip. And then unfortunately reports started coming in. I tried with mine. Best I could get was 50-60 flights before they let go. Team guys that shimmed had the same issues if they really hammered on the tail. Regular interval maintenance swapping the gears and shimming it's true you could go a long time. But then it's just not designed right compared to other designs that could sustain much higher flight counts.

And lol, thanks for the kind (?) words. Well all airframes have a limit. And it's interesting to try lots of different models and see where they fall in terms of robustness. Unfortunately the 700x tail gears were on par with my Fusion50 experience.

Anyway, some good engineers at blade and if they were allowed to it would have been improved quickly and on par with other systems. Problem was really the internal company politics. V2 would have been great.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:28 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Anyway, some good engineers at blade and if they were allowed to it would have been improved quickly and on par with other systems. Problem was really the internal company politics. V2 would have been great.
Agreed. It is a damned shame to see the Pro Series line go away. The 550X sure was a solid heli. Probably the best of the line-up after they yanked the stock ESC. Mine has been extremely trouble free. Almost the same for my 700X until I shimmed the gears. I guess I just don't beat on the tail as hard as some folks.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:34 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewarrior View Post
Agreed. It is a damned shame to see the Pro Series line go away. The 550X sure was a solid heli. Probably the best of the line-up after they yanked the stock ESC. Mine has been extremely trouble free. Almost the same for my 700X until I shimmed the gears. I guess I just don't beat on the tail as hard as some folks.
JamesH competed with the model, so clearly with rigorous maintenance, careful fbl tuning, likely shimming it performed.

But for me if I flew it daily without a careful gear schedule. Or if I didn't carefully de tune tail gain to prevent the smallest wag in overspeed it would strip. Stops had to be very soft. And you would get cases where you'd get batches of strips. So you get a good idea of where the model is in terms of the spectrum of robustness. It was close to last place in the models I've owned. For a company like Outrage similar issues succeeded in killing off models and eventually the company.

Anyway not much fun in beating the dead horse here. But it's an interesting learning experience for the entire industry. I Would not want to be in this business for a living! CP helis is rough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in