Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Props-Duration, Performance, Stability

Props-Duration, Performance, Stability Props-Duration, Performance, Stability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 01:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Good propellers for 4S battery on dji F450?

Using 4S battery on a new DJI F450 flame wheel quad. Stock 920kv motors with the whit 30A esc's. What would a recommended propeller brand and size be? I want to support an FPV platform with small light weight equipment and I want docile and easy to control. Any ideas?
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2014, 02:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF MR Support

I use Graupner.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Agree with Tommy. The 9x5s work very nicely. Lately, I've been experimenting with the 3-blade Graupner 9x5s on an almost identical setup (4s, 900kv Tiger MTs) and really liking the performance. They're noticeably quieter and extremely vibration free.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Okay having a naza-m lite/w gps on a spektrum setup what kind of starting gain values do u recommend with 9" graupners? I'm using 8" now. I tried 10" but was to shaky and wouldn't hold good. I was told that 8" props are good for a 4s setup. I run 3800 mah 4s gens ace batteries. And also where's a good place to owner these from that based in the USA? I don't like Ordering from over seas. Takes too long. Or even a link would help
Old 12-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF MR Support

If you start with the stock gains, you'll be in a good place to dial them in according to your craft and tastes. If you're already flying it, just dial it in from where you are. 8" might be a bit small on 920s if you're looking for docile. 700kv with 10" might be better for that. I like to get my props at either ReadyMade RC or GetFPV

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 12-09-2014, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I still need to put my retrax landing gear and fpv gymbal and cam/tx on adding around 278 extra grams. And I was looking into the triblade 9*5 graupners(due to the regular 9*5 blades being outta stock) and wanted to ask if them would perform well with this payload and no be to glitch or unstable?
Old 12-09-2014, 12:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkslinginmofo77 View Post
So I still need to put my retrax landing gear and fpv gymbal and cam/tx on adding around 278 extra grams. And I was looking into the triblade 9*5 graupners(due to the regular 9*5 blades being outta stock) and wanted to ask if them would perform well with this payload and no be to glitch or unstable?
I'd imagine they should work fine. I love them for AP on my Disco Pro. Rock solid and smooth as butter on there. I didn't even have to change the gains when I switched from the 2-blade 9x5s. If you get them, be sure and check your prop adapters' diameters. Unlike the 2-blade ones, the 3-blade ones come with 8mm holes, so you may need a reducer. GetFPV sells those too.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 12-09-2014, 12:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay the graupners 9*5 triblades need the 8 to 5mm reducers?
Old 12-09-2014, 12:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
HF MR Support

If your prop adapters are 5mm, yes.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 12-09-2014, 01:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

They are the same exact motors on the quad pictured above. So these triblade would require adapters?

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=2521

Which adapters do u use?
Old 12-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
HF MR Support

I use the 8->5mm reducers on my 900kv T-motors with that exact same prop. But, I know that some of the DJI motors use a bit fatter prop shafts, so if you haven't already, I'd be sure and measure yours first.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 12-09-2014, 01:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do u think it would be better to get the triblades for smoother flying and better payload carrying of landing gear and fpv equipment?
Old 12-09-2014, 03:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Do u think it would be better to get the triblades for smoother flying and better payload carrying of landing gear and fpv equipment?
I honestly don't know. All I can say is they work well for me in this particular application. Theoretically, 2-blade props are more efficient because the airflow has more time to smooth out behind each blade, but in practice, I've found the 3-blade ones as efficient as my 2-blade counterparts, and a good deal quieter. To generate the same lift, an otherwise identical 3-blade doesn't have to turn so fast, so the tip speeds are lower and hence quieter.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 12-09-2014, 04:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:

You will need to go to 770KV or 700Kv if you want to use Tri blades. Otherwise you will over prop your motors.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay. Maybe I'll rewind em to gain a modified kv. Don't suppose u guys now the size of the stock stator mag wire do u?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBear View Post
You will need to go to 770KV or 700Kv if you want to use Tri blades. Otherwise you will over prop your motors.
I thought that might be the case too, but the 3-blades work beautifully with the 900s on all three of my Discos. The control is beautiful, the battery is life is just as good as the 2 blade ones and the entire drive system stays completely cool - barely warm to the touch after 10 minutes Definitely not over propped. They were vibration free right out of the box and a good bit quieter - enough that several people remarked about that without prompting. But, that's just my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 12-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay so I'll just get both. Just wanna make sure both style can support small fpv platform. These blades are outta stock everywhere except ebay. Gus that's my only option. I know I know nothing from china. Authentic graupner from trusted seller
Old 12-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Okay so I'll just get both. Just wanna make sure both style can support small fpv platform. These blades are outta stock everywhere except ebay. Gus that's my only option. I know I know nothing from china. Authentic graupner from trusted seller
That's the best way! That way you can see which works better for your particular setup. And you'll always find a use for an extra set of props! "But Honey, I need a new quad to go with a set of props I have laying about."

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 12-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

okay. i am gonna rewind the motor to bring it to around 800kv. i figure thats optimal for efficiency and power demand on both triblade props and regular. thanx for all the info! bigislandguy. I have a friend who is from O'ahu. waimanalo. his name is kalapana
Old 12-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

The E300 kit at helipal is $119.00usd. The kit comes with the new esc's, motors, and props. And a parts kits of all kinds of screws, shrink boot, and double sided tape. Also a hex wrench and a wrench to hold the motors while you take the props off.

The esc's run a more streamlined algorithm that responds faster and uses less current. The motors have heavier windings in them than the old red motors. And the 9.4x4.3 self tightening props are the sweet spot between flight time and payload lifting capacity.

Bang for the buck ratio is very good.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in