Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Multirotor Safety and ethics

Multirotor Safety and ethics General Multirotor Safety and proper flying ethical conduct

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
dct
Registered Users

Thumbs down Well ,, new law for all of us!!

As I said,,, We will all go down together ....

http://news.yahoo.com/drone-downer-f...--finance.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
dct
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Question,,??
Why was this post moved?
This FAA law covers ( ALL RC not just Multirotors ?)
Thank you..
DanT
Old 12-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Moved from the original forum due to subject matter not brand specific.
Skapr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
dct
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

?? Ok// your the boss !!!
PS: I didn't see your answer , before I sent a PM to contact ..!
Old 12-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hmm did I read it right? So your either in a rc club flying at an rc field or your considered commercial & restricted to permits & license ? Wow that ought to be a Hobby Killer ....
dogtoy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtoy View Post
Hmm did I read it right? So your either in a rc club flying at an rc field or your considered commercial & restricted to permits & license ? Wow that ought to be a Hobby Killer ....
Yea that pretty much sounds like what the author was interpreting it to say anyway. This is how he worded it (it does leave some grey area but this may or may not be how the final regs are written)

"You either participate in a community-based organization or you have to follow the rules as if you are commercial operator."

Also what about those of us who ARE a part of the organization(s) and flying at the club field but also flying away from the "Club" field?

This one is going to get interesting and crazy before it gets any better.
BigAl07 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't over react boys

Participate as a hobby means follow the guidelines of the community based organization. Does not require you to be a member of the AMA. And even members are not required to fly at a club field.
Elmo Te is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've seen 2 videos now on YT of people doing stupid things with their 250 sized quad - basically flying fast & low across multiple neighbors' yards. These idiots are going to ruin it for everyone and that's not the fault of lawmakers.
Beckler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post
I've seen 2 videos now on YT of people doing stupid things with their 250 sized quad - basically flying fast & low across multiple neighbors' yards. These idiots are going to ruin it for everyone and that's not the fault of lawmakers.
Id rather see it at a neighborly level of "Hey kids dont do that over my yard" than see a couple of dumb asses fly a phantom over the FBI headquarters, or at an airport, or hell any other place that could seriously hurt someone. I "think" the whole you are spying on me thing is over but the safety aspect is still a major player as of yet.
Cpl Woody is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 12:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

That could cause me serious issues if enforced to the maximum extent. Being a truck driver, I fly where there is a nice view for me to film when the weather and daylight cooperate. I am not a "hardcore" hobbyist. I am primarily looking at videos and enjoy the flight along with it instead of doing it to fly and enjoying the video.

My point is that mandated club flying or licensing would just screw with my objectives

The right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Psywarrior is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2015, 01:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are no proposed mandates or regulations for hobbyists who follow AMA's guidelines...

Congress gave those hobbyists an exemption from FAA regulation in 2012

"Bona-fide hobbyists have gotten little attention, largely because Congress in 2012 exempted them from new FAA rules - provided they adhere to, among other things, the safety code of a community-based organization, such as AMA, which has more than 170,000 members."
Old 02-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

These are my thoughts on the article.

This whole article seems mostly from the POV of the lobbyists who are "predicting" (more like just repeating what they've lobbied for) that it will be required to either be a member of a community organization (like, "coincidently", the AMA) or be required ask the FAA for permission to fly my toy helicopter, even in my back yard and be classified as a commercial operator.

I find the logistics of that laughably impossible.

Does anyone really think the FAA is going to return my calls asking permission to fly my heli in my back yard?

I like this quote:

Quote:
But that carve-out doesn't apply to an estimated 300,000 people in the U.S. who have bought toy aircraft and are largely unaware of hobbyist association safety codes.
Two things about this quote:

1) As my brother (law enforcement) likes to say, ignorance is no excuse. You don't get to say "I didn't know that was illegal" because most reasonable people managed to NOT break that law, regardless if they specifically knew about that law or not. Reasonable people don't need to be told that flying an expensive toy over heavily congested traffic is incredibly stupid.

2) It seems to me that these lobbyists (specifically from AMA) want the "hobbyist exemption" to only apply to AMA members, which I find highly troubling. But maybe I read it wrong?

Practically speaking, what is the difference between two people flying quads in a park (but only one of them an AMA member)? I'll tell you: The non AMA member didn't have a lobbyist in Congress.

I certainly don't have a problem with the FAA (or whomever ends up with the final regulatory say) adopting similar rules to the AMA guidelines, but I find it troubling at even the suggestion that you are either an AMA member, or a commercial operator. To be called a "hobbyist" requires membership in a community organization (like AMA), so that you can fly your helicopter in a park, right next to another guy who can't because he's not a "hobbyist" and would therefore be operating is (commercial) aircraft without a license. Does that not smell of BS?

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The hobbyist exemption does not mandate AMA membership...It merely requires that hobbyists follow the AMA safety regs...it does not mandate flying at an AMA field either, just stay away from crowds and airports - etc etc

Much like the speed limit, you can go at any level below the legal maximum...

But exceed it, and you'll pay the price

The FAA is not going to blanket-cover the R/C hobby...not even with local law enforcement help...

Try not to over-think this...it's not worth it
Old 02-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with JonJet. It's really only going to be "restrictive" if you plan to fly for $$ (in any capacity even trying to sell your "editing" services is going to be a No-No with Big Brother). If you're flying for fun and you obey the AMA guidelines (Which aren't new by any means) then there shouldn't be any problems.

For what it's worth the AMA membership is worth it's weight in GOLD should you need legal support in regards to the hobby. For $60/yr you get a crap load of support. It's probably the best $60 a person could spend. Not many things in this hobby can be bought for $60 and have the potential for a payoff 10, 20, or more times over.
BigAl07 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
The hobbyist exemption does not mandate AMA membership...It merely requires that hobbyists follow the AMA safety regs...it does not mandate flying at an AMA field either, just stay away from crowds and airports - etc etc

Much like the speed limit, you can go at any level below the legal maximum...

But exceed it, and you'll pay the price

The FAA is not going to blanket-cover the R/C hobby...not even with local law enforcement help...

Try not to over-think this...it's not worth it
I was commenting more on the predictions of the (proposed) law from the POV of the AMA lobbyists.

This is the quote I'm refurring to:

Quote:
Experts said that based on existing drone guidelines, the new FAA rules, expected to take at least a year to kick in, will likely require, among other things, recreational fliers to either join a community-based model aircraft organization - or obtain authorization from the FAA.
and this one:

Quote:
"There's basically going to be two options," said Richard Hanson, director of government affairs at the Academy of Model Aeronautics, who has lobbied Congress and advised the FAA on drone regulations. "You either participate in a community-based organization or you have to follow the rules as if you are commercial operator."
The AMA lobbyists were asking for a mandatory membership OR a commercial license (or FAA approval). That, IMO, is BS and impossible to enforce.

I've read more recent articles that seem to say what you are saying; that as long as you generally adhere to the AMA guidelines you are okay.

The article also eluded to the hobbyist exemption not applying to the 300,000 people who aren't aware of the AMA regs (the part I quoted earlier). That's why I brought up the part about ignorance is not an excuse...

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
I was commenting more on the predictions of the (proposed) law from the POV of the AMA lobbyists.

This is the quote I'm refurring to:

and this one:

The AMA lobbyists were asking for a mandatory membership OR a commercial license (or FAA approval). That, IMO, is BS and impossible to enforce.

I've read more recent articles that seem to say what you are saying; that as long as you generally adhere to the AMA guidelines you are okay.

The article also eluded to the hobbyist exemption not applying to the 300,000 people who aren't aware of the AMA regs (the part I quoted earlier). That's why I brought up the part about ignorance is not an excuse...
I am of the opinion that as long as hobbyists fly within AMA guidelines, they won't be bothered...

Step off those guides by one foot and you will be subjected to the full extent of commercial regs

JMHO
Old 02-20-2015, 10:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also believe that community based would refer to any local club or group with guides that mirror AMA...

I would venture to say that a small group of hobbyists flying Quads FPV on a marked route would qualify as an AMA...especially if the owner/designer of the course was a card-carrying AMA member

Again, this is just My speculation based on what I have read
Old 02-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl07 View Post
I agree with JonJet. It's really only going to be "restrictive" if you plan to fly for $$ (in any capacity even trying to sell your "editing" services is going to be a No-No with Big Brother). If you're flying for fun and you obey the AMA guidelines (Which aren't new by any means) then there shouldn't be any problems.

For what it's worth the AMA membership is worth it's weight in GOLD should you need legal support in regards to the hobby. For $60/yr you get a crap load of support. It's probably the best $60 a person could spend. Not many things in this hobby can be bought for $60 and have the potential for a payoff 10, 20, or more times over.
That's my interpretation as well. Looks like they are going to leave the hobbyists alone for the most part.

I've been flying R/C for 4-5 years and didn't join the AMA until I started getting into FPV. I probably should have gotten it a long time ago.
adamky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

And all is caused by unconscious person that fly near airports or similar.. uff,of all the places that exists they must choose these? -.-
jeremy51 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in