Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Multirotor Safety and ethics

Multirotor Safety and ethics General Multirotor Safety and proper flying ethical conduct

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

Default FAA - Know Before You Fly

I just ran across this video and thought I'd share. At least I got a chuckle out of it. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get a Naza and some brushless motors on Ralph the world's largest bunny rabbit. We might have to put him on a diet since the extra equipment is sure to push him over the limit.

Know Before You Fly (1 min 34 sec)
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
I just ran across this video and thought I'd share. At least I got a chuckle out of it. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get a Naza and some brushless motors on Ralph the world's largest bunny rabbit. We might have to put him on a diet since the extra equipment is sure to push him over the limit.

Know Before You Fly - YouTube
Thank you for sharing!!
Old 12-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just saw this on my local news station..
Old 12-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Hey, thanks for sharing this. I'm crossing my fingers that the fact that the FAA even bothered to produce it (or allow their name on it) means they aren't just determined to stomp us out altogether.

P.S. I've made this a sticky, because even though many of us still have some big questions about what the FAA finally comes up with for a regulatory framework, this video is still good advice for anyone getting started.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 05:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF MR Support

http://www.knowbeforeyoufly.org/
Old 12-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Island Guy View Post
Hey, thanks for sharing this. I'm crossing my fingers that the fact that the FAA even bothered to produce it (or allow their name on it) means they aren't just determined to stomp us out altogether.

P.S. I've made this a sticky, because even though many of us still have some big questions about what the FAA finally comes up with for a regulatory framework, this video is still good advice for anyone getting started.
They aren't wanting to stop any of us altogether. I've been in aviation and dealt with the FAA in a professional capacity for over 25 years... Believe me, not only do they not have the people or resources to suddenly start policing RC fields and flyers, they don't want to, either. Seriously.

The FAA's job is to ensure the safety of the airspace, and to do so, requires rules - and consequences for those who violate those rules - to do so.

If careless RC flyers - multi-rotor or otherwise - are putting any type of aircraft at risk (and they are), then the FAA not only has the right, but is obligated to do something about it to protect the sovereignty of the airspace system.

Although it's a big selling point, the ease-of-use of the multi-rotor has put this type of RC aircraft into the hands of many people who don't (need to) fly at your typical RC field. Compound that with the proliferation of on board video amongst them, and you have an attractive mix - one that not only can be easily sensationalized by the media, but one that presents a real danger to passenger carrying aircraft due to the locations that these things are periodically being flown in to obtain that cool video.

One of biggest pieces of this puzzle is educating users, and that's where the AMA comes in to start working with the mfg's and FAA to communicate the right information about safety of use, etc. It's a responsibility that is now very real. Forums like this are going a long way to educate users, too. Let's keep it up.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidpad View Post
They aren't wanting to stop any of us altogether. I've been in aviation and dealt with the FAA in a professional capacity for over 25 years... Believe me, not only do they not have the people or resources to suddenly start policing RC fields and flyers, they don't want to, either. Seriously.

The FAA's job is to ensure the safety of the airspace, and to do so, requires rules - and consequences for those who violate those rules - to do so.

If careless RC flyers - multi-rotor or otherwise - are putting any type of aircraft at risk (and they are), then the FAA not only has the right, but is obligated to do something about it to protect the sovereignty of the airspace system.

Although it's a big selling point, the ease-of-use of the multi-rotor has put this type of RC aircraft into the hands of many people who don't (need to) fly at your typical RC field. Compound that with the proliferation of on board video amongst them, and you have an attractive mix - one that not only can be easily sensationalized by the media, but one that presents a real danger to passenger carrying aircraft due to the locations that these things are periodically being flown in to obtain that cool video.

One of biggest pieces of this puzzle is educating users, and that's where the AMA comes in to start working with the mfg's and FAA to communicate the right information about safety of use, etc. It's a responsibility that is now very real. Forums like this are going a long way to educate users, too. Let's keep it up.
There have been some proposals that, for all practical purposes, would effectively kill the hobby, but we can go round and round about that. However, as one who's had an instrument rating since I was 19, for the most part you'll get no argument from me. That's why I made this a sticky, in anticipation of the wave of folks who will likely be getting these for Christmas and will hopefully get informed. So far, no one's been killed by a multi-rotor and I sure hope it stays that way. When people ask me about these, the first thing I always tell them to do is visit HF and get informed. My personal hope is that there be a formal licensing system that would allow and encourage safe operation in places other than just sanctioned flying fields. If properly set up, it would benefit us by offering a legal framework to operate within, not to mention protecting the public both on the ground and in the air.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 12-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not bad, simple and to the point. Now they just have to figure out how to get the message to the masses. Maybe a quick spot during the superbowl right after the "don't beat your wife" commercial.
MS60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Island Guy View Post
There have been some proposals that, for all practical purposes, would effectively kill the hobby, but we can go round and round about that. However, as one who's had an instrument rating since I was 19, for the most part you'll get no argument from me. That's why I made this a sticky, in anticipation of the wave of folks who will likely be getting these for Christmas and will hopefully get informed. So far, no one's been killed by a multi-rotor and I sure hope it stays that way. When people ask me about these, the first thing I always tell them to do is visit HF and get informed. My personal hope is that there be a formal licensing system that would allow and encourage safe operation in places other than just sanctioned flying fields. If properly set up, it would benefit us by offering a legal framework to operate within, not to mention protecting the public both on the ground and in the air.
Agreed on all counts, yet I think we both realize the likelihood of those proposals getting that far is quite small. A licensing system would be rather difficult to implement I think, but we have to start somewhere to establish the legal framework you mentioned, whether its licensing, education, etc.

Good comments, thx
Old 02-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

New FAA rules are out.

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...m?newsId=18295
Old 02-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
They are not rules yet. They are a proposal for non-recreational use. It is out for public consultation.

Now is your chance to comment.

Regards

Acrow
acrow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrow View Post
They are not rules yet. They are a proposal for non-recreational use. It is out for public consultation.

Now is your chance to comment.

Regards

Acrow
That's an important distinction.

The above link pertains to Non-recreational use.

I'm fairly certain that the previously standing rules (more like suggestions) regarding recreational use still apply, in that as long as you generally follow the AMA guidelines (regardless if you are specifically aware of them or not), you are fine.

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

So, I have a 180QX HD. NanoQX, NanoQX 3D, PicoQX, Stricker Camera Drone, JJRC-H8C,v950 Drone! ProtoX, M200, Do I have to register all of these now with the FAA????????

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2015, 10:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

No you just register your tired old buns. Then use the same number on each one you have.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 12:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
So, I have a 180QX HD. NanoQX, NanoQX 3D, PicoQX, Stricker Camera Drone, JJRC-H8C,v950 Drone! ProtoX, M200, Do I have to register all of these now with the FAA????????
Only the ones bigger than 1/2 pound and those can all use the same number.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in