Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Multirotor Safety and ethics


Multirotor Safety and ethics General Multirotor Safety and proper flying ethical conduct


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support
 
Posts: 6,529
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Default FAA - Know Before You Fly

I just ran across this video and thought I'd share. At least I got a chuckle out of it. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get a Naza and some brushless motors on Ralph the world's largest bunny rabbit. We might have to put him on a diet since the extra equipment is sure to push him over the limit.

Know Before You Fly (1 min 34 sec)
__________________
Gaui X5F 6S (VBar), Lynx 450X-L 6S (Ikon), Lynx 300X-L 4S (Ikon), Blade 180CFX 3S (Ikon)
Lumenier QAV400 4S (Vector), Lumenier QAV250 3S (Naze32/CleanFlight), CYE Stingray 500 4S (TG Multi)
AMA Member, HCAM Member
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 550
 

Join Date: Aug 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
I just ran across this video and thought I'd share. At least I got a chuckle out of it. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get a Naza and some brushless motors on Ralph the world's largest bunny rabbit. We might have to put him on a diet since the extra equipment is sure to push him over the limit.

Know Before You Fly - YouTube
Thank you for sharing!!
__________________
69 Chevelle, 200SRX, One I crash, the other I drive!
heliworm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,115
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default

Just saw this on my local news station..
__________________
nothing to fly.....
powerstroke01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF MR Support
 
Posts: 4,534
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

Hey, thanks for sharing this. I'm crossing my fingers that the fact that the FAA even bothered to produce it (or allow their name on it) means they aren't just determined to stomp us out altogether.

P.S. I've made this a sticky, because even though many of us still have some big questions about what the FAA finally comes up with for a regulatory framework, this video is still good advice for anyone getting started.
__________________
3 years cancer free! Woot!! ~ Cancer can kiss my grits! Ainokea!
If you never crash, you're not having enough fun!

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 05:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF MR Support
 
Posts: 1,819
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

http://www.knowbeforeyoufly.org/
__________________
Lynh
TommyBear is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,712
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Island Guy View Post
Hey, thanks for sharing this. I'm crossing my fingers that the fact that the FAA even bothered to produce it (or allow their name on it) means they aren't just determined to stomp us out altogether.

P.S. I've made this a sticky, because even though many of us still have some big questions about what the FAA finally comes up with for a regulatory framework, this video is still good advice for anyone getting started.
They aren't wanting to stop any of us altogether. I've been in aviation and dealt with the FAA in a professional capacity for over 25 years... Believe me, not only do they not have the people or resources to suddenly start policing RC fields and flyers, they don't want to, either. Seriously.

The FAA's job is to ensure the safety of the airspace, and to do so, requires rules - and consequences for those who violate those rules - to do so.

If careless RC flyers - multi-rotor or otherwise - are putting any type of aircraft at risk (and they are), then the FAA not only has the right, but is obligated to do something about it to protect the sovereignty of the airspace system.

Although it's a big selling point, the ease-of-use of the multi-rotor has put this type of RC aircraft into the hands of many people who don't (need to) fly at your typical RC field. Compound that with the proliferation of on board video amongst them, and you have an attractive mix - one that not only can be easily sensationalized by the media, but one that presents a real danger to passenger carrying aircraft due to the locations that these things are periodically being flown in to obtain that cool video.

One of biggest pieces of this puzzle is educating users, and that's where the AMA comes in to start working with the mfg's and FAA to communicate the right information about safety of use, etc. It's a responsibility that is now very real. Forums like this are going a long way to educate users, too. Let's keep it up.
__________________
180CFX, Trex 550E (night), Goblin 570, Goblin 630C, DX8
Skidpad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF MR Support
 
Posts: 4,534
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidpad View Post
They aren't wanting to stop any of us altogether. I've been in aviation and dealt with the FAA in a professional capacity for over 25 years... Believe me, not only do they not have the people or resources to suddenly start policing RC fields and flyers, they don't want to, either. Seriously.

The FAA's job is to ensure the safety of the airspace, and to do so, requires rules - and consequences for those who violate those rules - to do so.

If careless RC flyers - multi-rotor or otherwise - are putting any type of aircraft at risk (and they are), then the FAA not only has the right, but is obligated to do something about it to protect the sovereignty of the airspace system.

Although it's a big selling point, the ease-of-use of the multi-rotor has put this type of RC aircraft into the hands of many people who don't (need to) fly at your typical RC field. Compound that with the proliferation of on board video amongst them, and you have an attractive mix - one that not only can be easily sensationalized by the media, but one that presents a real danger to passenger carrying aircraft due to the locations that these things are periodically being flown in to obtain that cool video.

One of biggest pieces of this puzzle is educating users, and that's where the AMA comes in to start working with the mfg's and FAA to communicate the right information about safety of use, etc. It's a responsibility that is now very real. Forums like this are going a long way to educate users, too. Let's keep it up.
There have been some proposals that, for all practical purposes, would effectively kill the hobby, but we can go round and round about that. However, as one who's had an instrument rating since I was 19, for the most part you'll get no argument from me. That's why I made this a sticky, in anticipation of the wave of folks who will likely be getting these for Christmas and will hopefully get informed. So far, no one's been killed by a multi-rotor and I sure hope it stays that way. When people ask me about these, the first thing I always tell them to do is visit HF and get informed. My personal hope is that there be a formal licensing system that would allow and encourage safe operation in places other than just sanctioned flying fields. If properly set up, it would benefit us by offering a legal framework to operate within, not to mention protecting the public both on the ground and in the air.
__________________
3 years cancer free! Woot!! ~ Cancer can kiss my grits! Ainokea!
If you never crash, you're not having enough fun!

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,637
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Default

Not bad, simple and to the point. Now they just have to figure out how to get the message to the masses. Maybe a quick spot during the superbowl right after the "don't beat your wife" commercial.
MS60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,712
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Island Guy View Post
There have been some proposals that, for all practical purposes, would effectively kill the hobby, but we can go round and round about that. However, as one who's had an instrument rating since I was 19, for the most part you'll get no argument from me. That's why I made this a sticky, in anticipation of the wave of folks who will likely be getting these for Christmas and will hopefully get informed. So far, no one's been killed by a multi-rotor and I sure hope it stays that way. When people ask me about these, the first thing I always tell them to do is visit HF and get informed. My personal hope is that there be a formal licensing system that would allow and encourage safe operation in places other than just sanctioned flying fields. If properly set up, it would benefit us by offering a legal framework to operate within, not to mention protecting the public both on the ground and in the air.
Agreed on all counts, yet I think we both realize the likelihood of those proposals getting that far is quite small. A licensing system would be rather difficult to implement I think, but we have to start somewhere to establish the legal framework you mentioned, whether its licensing, education, etc.

Good comments, thx
__________________
180CFX, Trex 550E (night), Goblin 570, Goblin 630C, DX8
Skidpad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,847
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Apr 2007
Default

New FAA rules are out.

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...m?newsId=18295
__________________
Micah
mhills51 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
They are not rules yet. They are a proposal for non-recreational use. It is out for public consultation.

Now is your chance to comment.

Regards

Acrow
acrow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrow View Post
They are not rules yet. They are a proposal for non-recreational use. It is out for public consultation.

Now is your chance to comment.

Regards

Acrow
That's an important distinction.

The above link pertains to Non-recreational use.

I'm fairly certain that the previously standing rules (more like suggestions) regarding recreational use still apply, in that as long as you generally follow the AMA guidelines (regardless if you are specifically aware of them or not), you are fine.
__________________
-------------------

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 7,242
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Default

So, I have a 180QX HD. NanoQX, NanoQX 3D, PicoQX, Stricker Camera Drone, JJRC-H8C,v950 Drone! ProtoX, M200, Do I have to register all of these now with the FAA????????
__________________
Syma S107-Syma S109-Syma X8C-Syma X8G-Syma X5HC-Syma X5HW-Mini Orion-ProtoX-Syma X5C-1

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2015, 10:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

No you just register your tired old buns. Then use the same number on each one you have.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 12:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
HF MR Support
 
Posts: 4,534
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
So, I have a 180QX HD. NanoQX, NanoQX 3D, PicoQX, Stricker Camera Drone, JJRC-H8C,v950 Drone! ProtoX, M200, Do I have to register all of these now with the FAA????????
Only the ones bigger than 1/2 pound and those can all use the same number.
__________________
3 years cancer free! Woot!! ~ Cancer can kiss my grits! Ainokea!
If you never crash, you're not having enough fun!

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply




Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Location
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Copyright © Website Acquisitions Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1