Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Blade Multirotor Support > 350QX

350QX Blade 350QX Multirotor Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 350QX v1 Upgrade to v3.0 Firmware

Hi guys, I haven't been on here very much lately but I see there is a new 3.0 firmware for the 350QX. I have a V1 that I upgraded to v2.0 firmware when it first came out. I'm using a DX8 radio. Is there any reason that I should upgrade? Don't have any problems with my 350QX with nearly 100's of flights on it. Using a GoPro but at this time no gimbal, that may change.

Let me know what you think. I fly in Safe Mode most of the time.

Also, if I do the update what happens to any of my switches? I'm sure my DX8 is pretty much in the default settings.
mapper65 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Upgrading will require a totally new setup on the DX8, as they've changed the settings for the flight modes. RTH is now a flight mode, and they used the RTH switch for something else (gimbal control).

It sounds like they made a change to Smart Mode in firmware version 3. Where the throttle stick used to be a set altitude from 0 to 150 feet, now the throttle stick works like it does in AP Mode. Center throttle stick = hover, stick down = come down, stick up = go up.

Personally, I'm not upgrading. I'm still on version 1. It works and I'm not really excited about any of the changes.

I posted at DX8 setup with an explanation of the settings for version 3 in this thread.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=672424
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have resisted the urge to upgrade simply because mine is working exactly like I need/want it to. The ONLY reason I am still contemplating the upgrade is to have the ability to use the GUI that is V3 or later only compatible.
BigAl07 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've upgraded mine and changed my DX8. I don't just "fly-around" but use it for AP. I Installed the V3 mast and GPS antenna and a GB200 gimbal. Using a Hero 3+ Black with no shielding and it works great. I use Stability, AP, and RTH, all on the FM switch.

This allows you to use the GUI. If you need this type of setup, then do the update. If not I would just leave it alone.

G.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl07 View Post
I have resisted the urge to upgrade simply because mine is working exactly like I need/want it to. The ONLY reason I am still contemplating the upgrade is to have the ability to use the GUI that is V3 or later only compatible.
I may be with you on this but I'll have to give it some more consideration. I figure any major changes would have been made between v1 & v2 which I've already done. Actually, I didn't notice anything different with that firmware but I guess it made me feel good to do it.

Has anything been said about what the new firmware does from the standpoint of more reliable processing of information, gps reliability? Again, I don't have any problems with v2, just looking for a reason why 3 might be better.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyji View Post
I've upgraded mine and changed my DX8. I don't just "fly-around" but use it for AP. I Installed the V3 mast and GPS antenna and a GB200 gimbal. Using a Hero 3+ Black with no shielding and it works great. I use Stability, AP, and RTH, all on the FM switch.
I'd probably upgrade and add the mast if I used it for AP. I think moving the GPS to the mast is a good idea if you're flying with a camera.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would say that I'm doing AP nearly every time I'm up. I've shielded my GoPro from day one and don't know if I would have a problem unshielded. As much as I'm someone that always does firmware updates on everything that I own as soon as they are available this may be the first time in years that I don't but....I do have to ask this question.

If I do the update and I'm using a DX8 what are my flight modes on that switch now going to be. It sounds like RTH is now on the flight mode switch and it's in the full up position? Is safe mode still in the low position or does safe mode go away? I really like using safe mode with stick relativity for much of what I'm doing but there are times when I don't need stick relativity.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, I think I got the information that I was looking for that flightengr posted late last month in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr View Post
Here's a PDF and SPM file for the DX8 and the 350 QX2 or firmware version 2.

Summary of the controls:

Switches F Mode and Rud D/R - Flight Mode
...F Mode position 0, Rud D/R anything = Smart Mode
...F Mode position 1, Rud D/R anything = AP Mode
...F Mode position 2, Rud D/R position 0 = Stability Mode
...F Mode position 2, Rud D/R position 1 = Agility Mode
Flap Switch - Return to Home in position 2 only
Mix Switch - Enable Stagility Mix (should only be used in Stability Mode)
Trainer/Bind Button - Throttle Cut when pressed
Gear Switch - Gimbal Tilt Mode (for GB200 gimbal)
Knob - Tilt Gimbal (for GB200 gimbal)

Not sure if this will matter or not, but the SPM file was made with the latest version of the DX8 firmware (3.01, Feb 2014). I don't think anything changed significantly in the last couple of years with the functions used in this model.

NOTE: Click on the SPM file link below to get your browser to download it. You can't right-click the mouse and "Save Target As..." because the forum will give you a PHP file if you do that!
https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...6&d=1419705774
https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...7&d=1419705774
Old 01-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now I'm really torn over this.. I want the newest FW especially if it enhances the GPS lock etc. My only concern is I can't really afford any "Down-Time" right now.

If I do the upgrade I'll have to make sure I have the SPM file for V3 and my DX8 ready to go ahead of time.

mapper65 make sure to keep us posted on what you decide and how you go about it
BigAl07 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I take it that flightengr's spm file may be the only thing that we need for the DX8 and just upgrade the firmware and import the spm file? What I'm not sure is if that same spm file is compatible with v3 firmware?

I don't mind if this changes my original setup of controls as long as I know what the modes are and how to get it into RTH mode in an emergency.

I like the idea of being able to use the GUI if it's only for testing and verification purpose.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The stuff copied above is for a DX8 and firmware version 2.

This is what you need for firmware version 3: https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=28
Old 01-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome! I think I may upgrade this weekend. I really wanted to have all of the pieces of the puzzle put together before I did anything. I've been so comfortable with how mine worked up until now but if stuff was changing then I wanted to be familiar with it first.

As long as I know what's changing on the controls then I'm fine with doing the upgrade.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you don't need/want Smart mode, just change the travel adjust on the first position on the FM switch to 125. That will give you Stability (Blue), middle position AP (Purple) and RTH (Red flashing) on the last position.

G.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyji View Post
If you don't need/want Smart mode, just change the travel adjust on the first position on the FM switch to 125. That will give you Stability (Blue), middle position AP (Purple) and RTH (Red flashing) on the last position.

G.
For most of my flights I use Smart Mode so I'll probably leave that how it is but that's good to know.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am on the same boat now, thinking should I upgrade to V3. I am not a big fan of the new RTH is part of the flight mode switch. But if the firmware does improve GPS/stability, I will do it in a heart beat.

thestone11 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestone11 View Post
But if the firmware does improve GPS/stability, I will do it in a heart beat.
Does anyone know that to be the case?
Old 01-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

One other thing. Set up the DX8 per the QX3 manual. However, at least in my manual, to get to compass calibration mode, it says to toggle the FLAP switch 4 times. It should say Flight Mode switch.

G.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the 2.0 firmware on my QX (first generation), and just had a quick look at the fw upgrade instructions. At some point it says "disconnect your receiver", but I think I cannot do this on my main board, the receiver is not separatable AFAIK.

Am I misunderstanding something here ?
jarbi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think that part of the instructions is just for the QX3. The 1st gen just uses the same connection that you upgraded on the first time.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapper65 View Post
I think that part of the instructions is just for the QX3. The 1st gen just uses the same connection that you upgraded on the first time.
got it, thanks for chiming in !
jarbi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in