Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 04:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question coreless or brushless?

I'm wanting to get a hv tail servo for my 550.
So what's should I consider between coreless or brushless?
raptor90wm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 05:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I believe coreless isfaster and brushless has more toqrue due to the fact that a coreless has less mass on the rotor so accelerating and stopping it is easier. The gearing probably makes up for that fact on brushless servos. IMO brushless servos are more of a marketing hype than anything else.

I don't think you'll ever wear out a servo motor in a heli.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup, coreless motors have less mass, and accelerate faster so they're a little more responsive. Bert K prefers them overall, but certainly for the tail a fast HV coreless servo is likely to be ideal.

Bear in mind that the motor choice is really splitting hairs, if you have two servos that are otherwise alike, pick the coreless. If you find two servos at the same price but the brushless is rated at 0.05 and the coreless 0.09, then you still need to pick the quicker servo for the tail.

Fortunately coreless servos are often cheaper and faster, so its usually an easy choice. As far as I'm concerned they're still the best all around option.
Other: Team rep for Lynx/Oxy, working on NightWave Systems
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys

I just needed an easy to understand answer, and that's what I got.
I always get my answers from helifreak, great fourm.
raptor90wm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
Yup, coreless motors have less mass, and accelerate faster so they're a little more responsive. Bert K prefers them overall, but certainly for the tail a fast HV coreless servo is likely to be ideal.

Bear in mind that the motor choice is really splitting hairs, if you have two servos that are otherwise alike, pick the coreless. If you find two servos at the same price but the brushless is rated at 0.05 and the coreless 0.09, then you still need to pick the quicker servo for the tail.

Fortunately coreless servos are often cheaper and faster, so its usually an easy choice. As far as I'm concerned they're still the best all around option.
Its a frequent topic of discussion here it seems.

Bert only preferred the coreless because, at the time, his BK servos were only made as coreless. He has brushless servos out now. Who's to say/know what he likes or prefers when he is turning out products to meet a market demand?

I have both coreless and brushless units like anyone else, but I will put my hand up for the brushless servos if I had the choice. They run much cooler and draw almost half the amperage, which will certainly keep your BEC happy, especially if one is still running an internal BEC. Brushless versions are just as fast as coreless versions now a days so the biggest factor is price - brushless generally tend to be more expensive.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCflyer View Post
Bert only preferred the coreless because, at the time, his BK servos were only made as coreless. He has brushless servos out now.
I remember that. He said it on the Voldemort podcast and claimed that brushless servos weren't as precise. He then got asked about that later on his FB page and backpedaled big time because of that last part.
jadewarrior is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 09:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCflyer View Post
Its a frequent topic of discussion here it seems.

Bert only preferred the coreless because, at the time, his BK servos were only made as coreless. He has brushless servos out now. Who's to say/know what he likes or prefers when he is turning out products to meet a market demand?

I have both coreless and brushless units like anyone else, but I will put my hand up for the brushless servos if I had the choice. They run much cooler and draw almost half the amperage, which will certainly keep your BEC happy, especially if one is still running an internal BEC. Brushless versions are just as fast as coreless versions now a days so the biggest factor is price - brushless generally tend to be more expensive.
Yup, he has brushless out now, but has gone on record several times saying he still prefers coreless.

He has a set of high end coreless servos (not his own brand) with over 2000 flights on them, this isn't a recent thing he's changed his mind about.
Other: Team rep for Lynx/Oxy, working on NightWave Systems
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doesn't really matter what BK prefers....everyone has their own preference.
Next thing you'll hear is he prefers Spektrum so it must be better...

As for the tail servo...any fast servo will work regardless if it's coreless or brushless....
TheKingPhisher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
Next thing you'll hear is he prefers Spektrum so it must be better...
Well, he does fly with a DX18.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewarrior View Post
And has for years that I have seen.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSHeli View Post
And has for years that I have seen.
Definitely. He's been seen flying a DX8 and 9, too. In fact, his DX18 case is unfinished black plastic because he's been using it so long that it was actually a prototype before Horizon/Spektrum decided on the final chrome finish. He liked the black and kept it. Spektrum TXs must work quite well for him because if they didn't, it wouldn't matter that they are a sponsor. He'd have been flying something else that doesn't crash his stuff or otherwise hinder his flying a long time ago. I'd pay out of pocket for radio gear before flying sponsored gear that caused issues, especially during public demonstrations, competitions, etc.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

People will fly anything for profit. The last person that you should ever ask to recommend a product line is a sponsored pilot, factory pilot, or someone who sells stuff. Ask QQ how he likes Spektrum. He bravely fell on the company sword once upon a time.
Four Stroker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't think there is a product on the market that BK didn't endorse at some point. For me, his opinion means nothing.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

But.... but ..... But ..... You know....... Iss.... Is such and such person saying it...... You KNOW....??? Shheeeppp
It...... Mmuustt. Beeeee..... Gooddd. ..... You. Knowwww????

OMG

Have any of you hear about MARKEThING?

Really?

Question is been answered.....
The rest is ..... You .... Know?

Here some useful info for those that still read.
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-servos.html
salrica is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bert is a genius at marketing. He stands behind his product and they preform well. Unfortunately we as consumers bite every time on what is shoved in our faces. I wanted bk servos and i didnt even need them. Haha. Ikon is probably the most popular fbl but barely any pro pilots fly them. I like the ikon a lot so im glad I went with what I wanted instead of what I seen pilots at ircha fly. My new favorite is fast becoming the ebar.
redsox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Stroker View Post
People will fly anything for profit. The last person that you should ever ask to recommend a product line is a sponsored pilot, factory pilot, or someone who sells stuff.
Not always true. Kyle Dahl uses what he wants. He now uses Scorpion esc's after much testing. He is about what works for him at the field....not his back pocket. Not many like that.
Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default coreless or brushless?

I don't give a rat's patooty about what a pro can do with electronics or an airframe. I care about what an average joe can do. Case in point: when Align dropped the tail gear ratio on the 600.

Most people will be fine with coreless because they don't push the heli that hard.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

To be totally honest, I recently purchased some brushless servos for my Logo500. The only reason I did was because I flew it more last year than any other heli I've ever owned. I got them simply for longer term durability. On the other hand, I've run coreless servos on my helis until last year when I got some nice brushless servos on a 700 used.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette & Copter Guy View Post
Not always true. Kyle Dahl uses what he wants. He now uses Scorpion esc's after much testing. He is about what works for him at the field....not his back pocket. Not many like that.
Exactly. I can't see a big name pro, Bert or otherwise, who would continue to fly anything (especially a TX) that caused them crashes in competition, lost flying time, etc. Not only would it make them look bad if it happened in public, their airframe sponsors wouldn't be too happy about people seeing their models crashed, either. Most everyone here knows that sickening feeling of having gear you suddenly can't trust anymore for whatever reason. Someone like a Kyle (either one), Bert, etc would just move on to another sponsor or pay out of pocket for better gear although I'm sure they'd have no trouble finding another sponsor for just about anything if they wanted to move on.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadewarrior View Post
Thanks for swallowing...hook, line and sinker..Next thing you'll hear is he prefers Spektrum so it must be better.....
TheKingPhisher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in