Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > KDS Multirotor Support > Spyder Multirotor Support

Spyder Multirotor Support Spyder Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Spyder 6 1000mm Build

Hello all, this came in the mail today and I have decided to do a detailed build thread for others here. I have already started assembling the frame, and documenting the build. Stay tuned!

When you open the box this is what you will see. I wrote on the boxes to show you guys what resides inside each box.

First impressions of the carbon booms: They look strong, and they have been cleanly cut and drilled nicely. The 6 arms are lying down, and your carbon for the landing gear is standing in this picture.

Left to right: Bag of fasteners, frame spacers, landing gear mounts, vibe damping mounts and thumb screws, landing gear caps, and 2 carbon plates for mounting your flight controller.

The largest box contains the motor mounts, arm blocks, landing gear tube clamps, and carbon plates.

Here I have assembled the landing gear. I found the process pretty straight forward using the exploded view diagrams available from the Sky Hero website. Make sure you pay attention to the logos if that kind of thing matters to you.

Here you will use the following:

Hex Nuts M3x0.5 SKH07
M3x16 Screws SKH07-106

NOTE: I would suggest leaving all of the fasteners loosely tightened on the landing gear so it will be easy to work with in the following step.

Gather your landing gear and your inertic plate. You will also need quite a few hex nuts and screws. I decided to fasten from the outside working inward to help line up the landing gear with the plate as easily as possible. Dont forget to insert the 4 self tapping screws. Be careful as they can strip out in the soft plastic.

Here you will use:
Hex Nuts M3x0.5
M3x12mm Screws
PT3x10mm Screws

Here I attached the vibe damping mounts along with the thug screws on the bottom to hold them on. After this step you will want to set the bit to the side.

Grab one of your main plates and your 6 frame spacers. You will also need the M4x6mm screws. Each of the frame spacers has 3 hole on each side (6 total). Assemble the plate as shown in the following photo. I regret to say I am missing a photo here. I apologize, however, this is where I started to run into trouble with my build.

After assembling one plate as shown in the last photo I decided to lay the other plate on top and continue installing the screws. This is where I became aware that the bag should contain 36 screws and mine only contained 32. I will send an email over to KDS tomorrow and I'm sure the will make it right.

After that issue was taken care of I installed the 7 vibe mounts as seen here. These are mounted by screws along the back. I would locktite these.

Next you should be able to flip your main plates over and attach them to the inertia plate by means of the thumb screws.

Now to assemble the arms. They are all assembled the same way. Here you can see the components used for each arm.

Assembled arm.

All of the following pictures are items I had left over after the build (not by choice).

The amount of left over parts, and the pieces I believe are missing concerns me. Maybe some of you can also chime in. The motor mount screws and washers are ok. I counted them. Both bags say 48 pieces but there were 50 motor mount washers in the bag. I'd rather have more than not enough. Also, exploring the exploded views I can not find where this one M4x8 screw goes. It is individually bagged as "1 piece". I have a couple canopy mounts and will attach those when I order the canopy, and I assume the green pin also is there to hold the canopy.

The upper battery plate was no where to be found inside my kit. I don't know if this is included or not, however, it was in the exploded view and it did not say anything like "optional" in the diagram. Also, I have no Idea what I'm supposed to do with these 2 flight controller plates. There are no more nuts to use to attach them and there are no spacers, or risers left in my kit. I also had 2 of the rubber vibe mounts and one thumb screw left over. If anyone has any insight please let me know. I really like this kit, the bags were even individually label but I still feel with this premium price I shouldn't be missing parts.

Still loving the looks of this thing, and can't wait to get it in the air!

Will update when I hear something from KDS. Also, I'll be adding more pics when the electronics are in.

JTCROWDER49 on YouTube!

Last edited by jtcrowder49; 02-13-2015 at 11:02 PM..
jtcrowder49 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

More space just in case.

JTCROWDER49 on YouTube!
Old 03-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

UPDATE:

KDS got back with me and wow am I impressed.

The upper battery plate is an optional upgrade.

They will be sending the screws my kit was missing.

Also, I haven't gotten an answer back about the 2 carbon plates. I think I will just retro fit something.

I did learn that this kit came straight from Belgium, and skipped the KDS warehouse. This is because I bought it from an online dealer I suppose.

Still, VERY impressed with the customer service!

Additionally, I have settled on the SunnySky x4112s-11 motors. Electronics will be in soon!

Thanks for viewing!

EDIT: Screws came in from KDS and all is well! The 2 FC plates are used for the Wookong/A2 controller and are not normally included in my kit. I will still used them with my Naza v2. If anyone knows where i can get some 3/4 or 1" stand offs please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by jtcrowder49; 03-11-2015 at 02:25 PM..
Old 04-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Standoffs

JT: here is a link to get a kit for nylon standoffs, comes in quite handy in quad builds. Nice build thread, really appreciate all your detail. The Spyder 6 looks like you will have plenty of real estate to place the FC...did you go with the Naza M w/GPS?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M3-Nylon-sta...item5af0732fdb

David
Almondsaz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks! Yes I have the Naza V2. I've almost gathered all my components and will update the build thread soon.

JTCROWDER49 on YouTube!
Old 05-25-2015, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Long time coming, but the T-Motor 3515-400KV are ordered!
Old 07-06-2015, 01:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Spyder 6 1000mm Build

Hello all! Updates are less often than I prefer but I'm back!

I have recieved the motors! I did run into a snag. I could not find the pancake motor mounts ANYWHERE in the USA! I was so disappointed! Everywhere I called was out of stock! Luckily, I came across addictive rc online store! I called John and told him what I was looking for and he was able to special order it right up from the Sky Hero Factory! Talk about service! I highly recommend John for your Sky Hero Needs! I had the mounts in hand very quickly! Big thanks John.

Also, I must also say thank you to the guys at KDS models in Texas. They really went the extra mile to try and help me with this motor mount situation before I found John. I ended up ordering a canopy from them and it also arrived in record time!

I must say this hobby has some great people! It's impressive to me how many folks will go the extra mile to help someone who is just a voice on a phone or an email address on the screen!

JTCROWDER49 on YouTube!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in