Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Multirotor Safety and ethics

Multirotor Safety and ethics General Multirotor Safety and proper flying ethical conduct

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default have you had any quadcopter injuries?

I was looking at the helicopter posts and there you can see some rather bad injuries caused by 450 helis. and it got me thinking what damage can a 400 quadcopter do such as an invertix 400 or f450? or even a 250 fpv quad? are they safer then helis? are there any real injuries with quadcopters that needed stiches? what are your experiences?
severus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes don't get complacent , always remove the props , hand injury twice , two hospital visits .
Old 03-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

I got a welt on a finger from a MQX. Smarted for a second then tossed it back in the air and kept going. Other than that no injuries.
You have to respect the fact that multirotor props are going a whole heck a lot faster then heli rotors. Either one, however, can rip you a new gazootenblatz in a heartbeat.
setishock is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

so this injuries happened on the ground when you were checking the motors and props I guess. what about any injuries from the quadcopter accidentally crashing into you or another person?
Old 03-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah on the ground. Not paying attention to where my hand was and turned to look at the transmitter. No big deal but if that had happened with a F450 it might have more than smarted for a sec.

I fly alone in the hotel back yards. The places I run always have a huge back parking lot or field. I haven't come close to flying into myself or any one else. I'll crash it deliberately before I allow that to happen. I can fix or replace a model but I will do no harm to another human being as a result of personal negligence or equipment malfunction.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had my finger partially severed from a multi-rotor. Went to disconnect the battery, it was dis-armed and I hit the BEC switch. The flight controller browned out and send 100% pwm to the ESC's. APC Props are very sharp. Be very careful around any quad with props and a connected battery. I have pics, but don't want to post as they are pretty gruesome.

Dale
Trex 450SE - HB56's, Kontronics ESC
Trex 600 - 9252's, 401 Gyro | Trex 600 - Stretched to 700, 45-06 Tango, CCHV85
rappy-60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2015, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

sorry to hear that sounds terrible.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It was... Luckily a valuable lesson learned. I never assume a Multi-rotor is safe, even if disarmed!! As long as the battery is plugged in, it is armed and live!

Dale
Trex 450SE - HB56's, Kontronics ESC
Trex 600 - 9252's, 401 Gyro | Trex 600 - Stretched to 700, 45-06 Tango, CCHV85
rappy-60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Only ever had two incidents. Tried hand launching a 250 with a kk board that didnt want to take off correctly and it whipped back on my thumb leaving a pretty good chunk scratched up.

Then I was flying my MQX and some dude made a joking "Jump/Slap" at it and took it to the face. He was fine though....

Oh and the neighbors dog tried to bite a spinning 250 prop in the air and almost lost her tongue.... Big ole bleeding mess....
Cpl Woody is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2015, 05:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

could anyone send any pictures of their accidents?surely then can't be as gruesome as some pictures of heli accidents, I hope. also what safety advice would you give to avoid accidents with quadcopters?

Last edited by severus; 03-20-2015 at 10:04 PM..
Old 04-14-2015, 12:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had mine take off and it's rotors decapitated a tree branch maybe only 1/4 thick branch but if that hit an eye or finger , OUCH! anyways i wouldn't recommend posting incidence as it only give the man more reason to not let us fly, the commy government are out in full force these days and looking for any excuse.
Champking is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2015, 02:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Old 04-14-2015, 02:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Actually it's better off not having pictures. It would be gross and in bad taste.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
HF MR Support

I got pictures of when a 14" prop caught my knee, but I'm afraid I'd be embarrassed to post it in this thread as it would be more liken to be the "Wall of Shame" rather than a thread about lessons learned.

Anyway there would have been no way for me to avoid what happened to me as I couldn't jump any higher or run any faster and I was already safely back more than 50' from where I took off. I would have had to flown from a inside a batting cage to avoid getting hit the way I did.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
Actually it's better off not having pictures. It would be gross and in bad taste.
True, but sometimes this is what it takes to get the message across.

You should see the pictures they put on cigarette packs here :-)
Old 05-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

Stories like these are why I bought a set of prop guards from Amazon while I was waiting for my first larger MR to get here (F450). At least they might give me a chance to be stupid

I have enough problems staying well considering my motorcycle crash last month and the very likely MSRA infection in my left elbow that I'm waiting on test results from
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've always found fear to be a potent motivator. I've been flying RC of one kind or another for almost 50 years, and I've never had a serious injury from a propeller because I fear the props.

And they are more dangerous with electric power than with nitro or gas, IMO, because the electric motor will just spin the damn thing back up even if you completely stop it with your hand...
Gandalf223 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2016, 06:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I realized after touching my high speed case fan back in like 2000 that the props could cause the same problem.

It's my responsibility to make sure it works and know what could go wrong despite what everyone else is saying because they do not see what I foresee.
AntDX316 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

At me happened sometimes to break or lose my props when my drone was flying,after an hurt, i risked also to lose protecting gear and also to break upper part of body shell and an arm,i repaired it with a powerful insulating tape and now it works wonders ..fortunately exists spare pieces This can happen when you fly sometimes,also if you are a good pilot can happen,less times but can always happen
jeremy51 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in