Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > FPV Racing Discussion

FPV Racing Discussion FPV Racing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2015, 05:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Setup your own FPV quadcopter racing group - cheap and easy guide

Loads of people have or are getting 250 quadcopters, which are perfect for racing, but not many people are actually racing them, which is amazing fun.

Example FPV racing video:
Crash Happy, Sunrise FPV miniquad Racing, Cornwall UK, 22 Feb 2015 (2 min 14 sec)

Any cheap 250 quad with 5x3 props is perfect for short course fpv racing, you don't need the latest and greatest high power motors or lipos, I am still using the hobbyking FPV250 with cheap 1804 motors I threw together a year ago, and all that I've broken in literally hundreds of crashes is props, lots and lots of cheap gemfan 5x3 props, which take about a minute to swap over and get back flying.

You don't need to spend a lot of money on a course, you can easily make a couple of airgates from cheap PVC pipe and foam lagging or pool noodles, they are free standing so you can stick these out on any club field, or open space really quickly and easily. Toolstation in the UK will sell you everything you need for 4 airgates and 4 corner markers for 36/$50 probably even cheaper in the US as 3/4" pvc stuff is cheaper there.

You don't need any complicated timing equipment, you just have short two lap/one minute races and each pilot calls their name when they finish so you know the finish order. Video frequency is easy to organise with frequency tags, you tie to your RC transmitter before switching on. If you crash, just wait for the race to finish, line up again and try again, we run back to back races, so you get lots and lots of chances to race, and as we get better I think we will get even more races in with less time changing props/retrieving.

It would be great if every area/club around the country/world started a small FPV racing group so this can steamroll. We have a small facebook group to organise practice sessions, we keep it small just to people who live within an hours travel time and are prepared to come to race, also try to avoid/minimise general chat so its only for organising/discussing FPV racing practice and race meets so it keeps traffic down and interest up.

Some useful links/info:

How to make airgates from cheap PVC pipe, in the UK 21.5mm waste pipe from screwfix or toolstation is really cheap, in the US 3/4" pvc pipe is even cheaper, use white/black tape stripes on the foam lagging to make it more visible in the goggles, no special tools are required, just a tape measure and a hacksaw, you could pickup the pipe bits on the way to the club and make the airgates in about 20 minutes, and have a course to race round within 30 minutes.

Final design tweaks FPV racing miniquad airgates - quick, cheap, easy - under £10/$15/10 minutes (4 min 13 sec)

This is what the airgates/course looks like through FPV goggles:

Goggle view FPV Blade Nano QX cheap PVC FPV racing airgates test (3 min 9 sec)

Frequency tags for vtx channel control so everyone plays nicely together, you can just print out from here, ours are laminated but thats optional:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2266883

Our draft rules attached this covers basic safety rules, and the format of back to back short races, so people get lots of practice, rather than get hung up on organised heats/finals which would mean people only get a few chances to fly, which is going to put people off travelling to race, with up to 12 pilots everyone should be able to fly as much as they are able (ie between prop/lipo changes) and fun and practice is the goal to get this established, the main challenge is to get everyone to finish a two lap race, we have had 3 monthly meets and not managed it yet, but we will !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150112IMG_2022.jpg (80.2 KB, 834 views)
File Type: jpg 150222G0024358c.jpg (72.2 KB, 822 views)
File Type: jpg 150307IMG_6613.jpg (72.8 KB, 828 views)
File Type: jpg 150308IMG_6636.jpg (111.5 KB, 839 views)
File Type: jpg 15030214253342073340.jpg (179.3 KB, 833 views)
File Type: jpg 150320ToolstationFPVCourseShoppingList1.jpg (48.8 KB, 83 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FPV RACING RULES draft6.pdf (202.0 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by jamesb72; 03-31-2015 at 04:12 AM..
jamesb72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

Some great tips in here. We're well on our way to getting a group of guys up and ready to race. And frequency management is definitely going to be the next thing we're going to have to address. I'll print off some of these cards and see if we can incorporate them. Thanks.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2015, 04:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I've added our single page draft guidelines, the intention here is to get people to get involved, so we want people to come and practice/race together, so priority is having fun, and getting everyone lots and lots of flying time, until we are all consistently completing two lap races we won't worry about rules, scoring or points. They can all come later once we have a group established.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

We race every Sunday and have formalized the sign ups. Helps a lot when you have 50-100 people. Check this out, works great!

http://app.multigp.com
Old 03-31-2015, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

I finally got around to printing off some channel cards today and did a little editing on the one posted from RCG. Since most of us are running on the Airwave band, I figured I'd simplify it a little bit and designate the blocks with even numbered Airwave channels as alternates (desginated "alt") either to run as an alternate block for 3 models or potentially to test with RHCP and LHCP concurrently.

For now I'll just post the image since it's easy enough to print or recreate from that. If anyone wants the file let me know and I can stick it somewhere.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5G8_channel_cards.jpg (167.9 KB, 738 views)
Old 04-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

How did you get on with LHCP/RHCP, I suspect alternate blocks for odd/even races would work better, but interested to hear how you get on.

We held our monthly FPV racing/practice morning today, it was really windy which made the course a challenge, but great fun and everyone is getting better each month which is what its all about. My tally for the day was 33 race starts, 59 laps completed, and 13 crashes, I broke 6 props (total cost 2.05) and resoldered one motor wire with my cheapo FPV250 hobbyking quad, rcx1804 motors, KK2.1, fatshark FPV gear and mobius recording camera which ran like a champ all morning, so you can run a cheap quad and still be competitive and have a lot of fun.

We had 5 quads racing at once with no video issues so these frequency tags work really well for us, and I'm sure you could run 6 at once if you had more people on boscam frequencies (we only had a couple of people with boscam gear).

Taunton Miniquad race meeting - April 12th 2015 - Round 4 (3 min 39 sec)

Last edited by jamesb72; 04-15-2015 at 03:52 AM..
Old 04-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

We are trying to get something going locally as well. I made up a sheet which I laminated and threw in my FPV box. Its a chart of the 32 frequencies, as well as a list of the best spread among the 5.8 GHz channels. Fatshark 1, 4, 7 & Boscam E 3, 8 have the best spacing we have found.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Frequenct Chart.pdf (215.2 KB, 28 views)
turnthepage is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2015, 04:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnthepage View Post
We are trying to get something going locally as well. I made up a sheet which I laminated and threw in my FPV box. Its a chart of the 32 frequencies, as well as a list of the best spread among the 5.8 GHz channels. Fatshark 1, 4, 7 & Boscam E 3, 8 have the best spacing we have found.
Makes sense. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

We have our next FPV practice session in a couple of weeks, just hope weather is OK! I've scored use of a generator so we can charge packs at the field.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone racing in North Kent\South East London UK?
Old 05-10-2015, 01:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a facebook group racecopter london you should look on, I believe a group flies at hackney marshes.

We are holding our monthly fpv racing session in somerset this morning, usual windy weather but should be a good laugh.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

highlights from our FPV racing practice on Sunday

Somerset UK FPV Racing - Round 5 highlights - 10th May 2015 (3 min 19 sec)
Old 05-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Where did you get your start/finish gate made?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb72 View Post
How did you get on with LHCP/RHCP, I suspect alternate blocks for odd/even races would work better, but interested to hear how you get on.

We held our monthly FPV racing/practice morning today, it was really windy which made the course a challenge, but great fun and everyone is getting better each month which is what its all about. My tally for the day was 33 race starts, 59 laps completed, and 13 crashes, I broke 6 props (total cost 2.05) and resoldered one motor wire with my cheapo FPV250 hobbyking quad, rcx1804 motors, KK2.1, fatshark FPV gear and mobius recording camera which ran like a champ all morning, so you can run a cheap quad and still be competitive and have a lot of fun.

We had 5 quads racing at once with no video issues so these frequency tags work really well for us, and I'm sure you could run 6 at once if you had more people on boscam frequencies (we only had a couple of people with boscam gear).

Taunton Miniquad race meeting - April 12th 2015 - Round 4 - YouTube
Old 05-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

All this racing going on and here I sit still waiting for my FPV gear from China to arrive...

Think Quads are cool? http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/
niget2002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfrog View Post
Where did you get your start/finish gate made?
The printed airgates (start finish and 2nd of three on straight) are from http://www.hoverspeedrc.co.uk/ Jab1a has been testing them, they look great and are quick and easy to repair !
Old 06-08-2015, 02:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had a great mornings FPV racing yesterday, highlights video below:

Somerset UK FPV Racing - Round 6 highlights - 7th June 2015 (4 min 7 sec)

Last edited by jamesb72; 06-08-2015 at 04:17 AM..
Old 06-12-2015, 05:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are these races just 2 laps 1 minute total time or 1 min. a lap aproximatlly what is the lenth of the course in distance.
Grumpy
Old 06-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

We race two laps (any more doesn't change the result, and we can't all finish two laps anyway).

Two laps normally takes roughly a minute, but we don't measure length, its just setup so not too far to walk when you crash. I would guess course length is 400-500ft but thats a pretty wild guess. This course was a bit shorter, as the original planned course went behind a big tree and not everyone could maintain video signal, so we cut the corner, race was about 45 seconds as a result.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you all for your input,helps A lot as we are trying to set up a fpv racing in Aberdeen,Marty
Old 07-07-2015, 05:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Someone asked about how many quads can race at once, we have been using the frequency tags above, and have 5 quads flying/racing together on 5.8Ghz, most of us are using fatshark/immersionRC gear, so use A/B/C/D and we have someone with Boscam who flies on F. Most of us are using cheap LHCP antenna's.

Obviously as more people fly the glitches get more frequent, but its perfectly flyable.

Video from Sunday:
Somerset UK FPV Racing - Round 7 highlights - 5th July 2015 (3 min 28 sec)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in