Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Lipo Storage Voltage ????

Hi All

Just a quick question, I was wondering what voltage do your store your packs at in between use (say a couple of weeks).

I was allways under the impression that you would store at nominal voltage, eg a 3cell pack is 11.1V which is 3.7v per cell - so I have been storing at 3.7V this is what is written on the back of all my flightpower evo 20 packs - i have just read that all my new evo25 packs state that they should be stored at 3.4V per cell.

Does anybody now what is the correct storage voltage per cell.

Thanks
Bustarex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

3.4V per cell is way too low. Typical storage charge is ~ 50% capacity which is 3.85v per cell.
Ultraviolet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Take a close look at the back of your Flightpower packs, I bet they all say 3.4 per cell like mine. I know everyone says that voltage is too low but if it is, why does Flightpower print it on the back of their packs???
schwaggs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwaggs View Post
Take a close look at the back of your Flightpower packs, I bet they all say 3.4 per cell like mine. I know everyone says that voltage is too low but if it is, why does Flightpower print it on the back of their packs???
Yes, and why do all new Flightpowers come out of the package at 3.8 volts??
blueviewlaguna is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

3.8 - 3.85 volts per cell.

And you will find that most every brand new lipo is at this charge level.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have contated flight power over here in the UK and they couldn't give me an answer as to why all the packs state store at 3.4V per cell - I am waiting for answer from them at the moment.

So most of you store your packs at 3.8V per cell for long term storage, do you guys do the same for short term, if you are using the packs regulary on a 2-3 day basis.
Bustarex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The best bet is to charge them to 3.8v after use, and only top them off on the day you go out to fly. It probably would not hurt to top them off the night before though.

Flightpower will probably not respond regarding storage at 3.4v per cell because they are wrong.
Ultraviolet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mo_

I have a triton charger, does anyone know how to select a specific voltage to charge to ?
Mo_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2008, 06:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can't do it with a Triton. You just have to watch it and stop the charge when the voltage is about 3.8 volts per cell.

The other thing to do, if you know you need to store the lipo, just cut your flight short. If you timer is set to use 80% of the pack, just cut the flight to 5/8s (62.5%) of the normal time. So if your timer is 6 minutes for 80% use, fly 3 minutes 45 seconds and you will be close to 50% charge, which is the storage level.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Old 04-19-2008, 10:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mo_

Thanks pine this is very helpful....yet another reason why I should change my Triton LOL
Mo_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Can't do it with a Triton. You just have to watch it and stop the charge when the voltage is about 3.8 volts per cell.
Wrong. For a Triton, charge your LiPo normally, then use a NiCD or NiMH discharge setting down to a bit below 3.8v/cell. Or go the easy route: put your LiPos in a plastic bag in the freezer while fully-charged, and take them out to warm up the night before you plan to go flying.

Anyway, yeah, with the Triton it's a little bit more involved than some other chargers, but it's still trivial to discharge to the correct voltage.

A LiPo naturally loses 2%-4% of its capacity per year even when left at "storage voltage" in room temperature. Cooling a partially-charged LiPo below 32F reduces that capacity loss to near zero. Cooling a fully-charged LiPo below 32F reduces its capacity loss per year to around 2-4%. Just don't charge a cold LiPo above 4.0v/cell! Note the actual battery chemistry itself does not freeze until around -20F (no water inside)...
Old 05-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not exactly, he asked about CHARGING to storage charge, and a Triton cannot do this.

Yes, it can DISCHARGE to a set voltage.

Not a good idea to put fuly charged lipos into the refridgerator or freezer. Below 55 dgrees, the max safe voltage of a lipo goes down, so your fully charged pack becomes over charged. You can chill partially charged packs, but not fully charged ones.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Old 05-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Not a good idea to put fuly charged lipos into the refridgerator or freezer. Below 55 dgrees, the max safe voltage of a lipo goes down, so your fully charged pack becomes over charged. You can chill partially charged packs, but not fully charged ones.
You can chill fully-charged LiPos with little ill effect. Their voltage goes down substantially when frozen (break out your voltmeter and check, it's around .1v), and in fact if you have to store fully-charged lipos for any length of time, the only way to reduce the loss of battery capacity is to reduce their temperature. What's bad is CHARGING the LiPos while they are cold, because the usual 4.2v threshold is an over-charge. 4.0-4.1v/cell is normal below 55 degrees.

A frozen Lithium battery stored at full charge loses 2-4% capacity per year.
A Lithium battery stored fully-charged at room temperature loses 20%-40% capacity per year. At higher temperatures, it's worse.

I sometimes fly frozen LiPos (it's cold many months out of the year where I live), and now that I've learned their voltage characteristics, I've suffered no further ill effects. When I *charge* a LiPo to 4.2v/cell and it's well below freezing, the LiPo's useful life is less than 10 cycles. Treat ice-cold LiPos at around 1/4 to perhaps 1/2 their rated "C" rating or they are over-amped, and reduce flight times similarly.

If you like, I'll gladly provide some statistics of a stored-fully-charged-frozen LiPo versus one stored only at traditional room temperature. Unfortunately, that will need to be at end-of-season, but I have two new Loong Max LiPos I wouldn't mind endangering (heh) for the cause.

Last edited by redgiki; 05-02-2008 at 09:52 AM..
redgiki is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

go for the powerlab8
ukiah74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Always charge to a storage voltage of 3.85 balanced. and charge only before flying, and never charge or use cold packs, warm them if needed.. And you will get hundreds and hundreds of top quality flights out of your packs.. And if you have time always charge slowly. I charge my quality packs at 1c at home. 5c at the field..
Old 01-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

The longest I have had a pack sit was about six months and it was put to rest with 3.85 volts per cell and was 3.84 when I went to charge it six months later.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on That!!! always, store packs at 3.85v per cell and they will last for years and years and years! Thats all lipo packs, Doesn't matter the brand, only the battery chemistry.. I warm up my packs, (if it's cold) then charge right before flight, then charge/discharge to 3.85v storage voltage after flying for the day. even if I'm going to fly the next day. Since I started useing the PowerLab 8 and using this method my packs actually have been getting better with time, and the I.R. (internal resistance) stays low and gets lower with time.. had one pack that had a cell I.R. of 3.6-4.3-130.0!!! (brand new from factory). I have charged and flown with it about ten times now and the I.R. is down to 42.0 in the high cell that was 130.0 ohms..
My PowerLab 8 has taught me it's all in the charger.. And how you handle your packs... Hope this helps.. Your packs should last you many years of high power service then they start looseing capacity.. remember every once and awhile discarge your pack to 3.40v per cell and charge at a slow rate and see the MAh capacity of your batteries, You should get around 90% of the batteries capacity back in (i.e. 5000MAh battery should charge to at least, 4700 MAh in my opinion)..
Old 01-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiah74 View Post
remember every once and awhile discarge your pack to 3.40v per cell and charge at a slow rate and see the MAh capacity of your batteries, You should get around 90% of the batteries capacity
I agree with everything else you're saying, but not this. That could potentially damage your packs performance, especially if your charger is capable of discharging at only a few amps. If you're discharging it at 40 amps, then that might be ok because the resting voltage will still be above 3.7v. If you discharge to 3.4v/cell at a slow rate you will fully deplete the pack, not good.
- Spektrum DX7
SeanM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

on my charger 3.4v is 3.4 volts. It wont allow me to kill a pack.. safety features dont allow it.. you could go higher if you like but I hav hundreds of flights on my packs and they are almost like new.. the powerlab 8 cuts off before depleting a cell to far.. at least allways has for me.. the main thing is to leave at 3.85v per cell when not in use and your all good.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I never said it would kill the pack, but it will damage its performance over the long run. I too own a PowerLab and am aware of what it can and cannot do. Just because it allows you to drop the voltage setpoint so low doesn't mean that you can apply it to any LiPo without any issue. I can see that voltage setpoint being used on other LiPo chemistries though, just not RC LiPo's.
- Spektrum DX7
SeanM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in