Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Multirotor Safety and ethics

Multirotor Safety and ethics General Multirotor Safety and proper flying ethical conduct

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Isn't that too close to the residence?

Not just for safety but privacy as well. Or is it just me?
FPV Adventure - 1000 Steps Beach (9 min 17 sec)
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Some really nice flying (albeit post production sped up in place), but yeah, way too close IMO too. If I were a resident out on my porch enjoying my paper and something out of nowhere came blasting past about 6' from my head, I'd be pissed. Look for "No RC allowed" signs on that beach soon. What a waste of talent.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Big Island Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

A video that perfectly highlights the issues. A small quad that even hits his buddy without damage or injury. Flying past folk's porches but not hovering outside a window (but he could, or even in an open one...). Flying somewhat over other people...all while having excellent fun and making a great video.

He was toeing the line or perhaps crossing it, but you could do much worse... Where we draw the line and how we enforce it is the question we will all face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't think it's much of a safety issue. When people start being seriously injured or worse from small RC aircraft. One of privacy and annoyance for sure.

How many full sized aircraft, big jets and joyriders in cessnas have crashed into houses and actually killed people on the ground. Happened again just recently. No problem though.

When you look at how many people die in and because of real aircraft or just look at the sporting field for injuries, let alone the road toll or guns etc Calling small multirotors out as the most dangerous and likely to be banned and public enemy no.1 is not supported by statistics.

FYI. In Australia you are not allowed to fly over residential property... ie: your Neighbour's house.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpantz View Post
I don't think it's much of a safety issue. When people start being seriously injured or worse from small RC aircraft. One of privacy and annoyance for sure.

How many full sized aircraft, big jets and joyriders in cessnas have crashed into houses and actually killed people on the ground. Happened again just recently. No problem though.

When you look at how many people die in and because of real aircraft or just look at the sporting field for injuries, let alone the road toll or guns etc Calling small multirotors out as the most dangerous and likely to be banned and public enemy no.1 is not supported by statistics.

FYI. In Australia you are not allowed to fly over residential property... ie: your Neighbour's house.
I agree, it's too small to be much of a safety issue, but as you allude to, it'll be amplified beyond all proportion to the actual risk by the media. It sells, to people who can't spot the irony of grumbling how dangerous these things are as they light their cig up.

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 12-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

When I mentioned safety at the start of this post, I didn't compare it to real aircraft crash kind of safety concern, I was talking about involuntary risk kind of safety. I've seen in-person lipo catches on fire on a crash. It's not uncommon. What if that happens on someone's front porch when no-one's home. We had a similar occurrence not long ago. Good that it was a gravel covered warehouse rooftop, not someone's front porch with a BBQ and propane tank.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1451087/mo...cial-building/

While the safety risk is low, I agree I feel more of a concern of privacy complaint than safety.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry. I can get a bit agitated when danger and small multirotors get equated.

I can't see it really. I don't think the evidence backs up the dangerous claim.

I can fully understand why people who lived in those houses might not like it and everybody should be encouraged to fly so we don't fuel the hysteria.

Of course there is a risk of all kinds of things. But compare it to the incidence of of dangerous activities.... kids playing with matches etc

Away from residential and airports leaves almost no risk of injury or annoyance... goggles on or not.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

This is not about kid playing with matches. This is more like someone juggling torches on top of kids in the playground. I don't care if the guy is so good he can juggle torches blind-folded all day long. The key is involuntary risk, especially for the potential bad publicity factor of it. There's a big difference between doing burnouts on the race track and doing burnouts in the school zone. There's a big difference between the video above and this one which I "liked" on Youtube when I first saw it some time ago and I have absolutely no issue with this one.
BLACKOUT Mini H FPV MOBIUS Wide Angle Test (2 min 47 sec)
Old 12-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
dct
Registered Users

Thank's to people like this...
http://news.yahoo.com/drone-downer-f...--finance.html
Old 12-31-2014, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

That beach video looks like irresponsible "buzzing" of people's homes....

Those guys look like "trouble makers"....they even said in their video that these rich people are "@ssholes"...

Those guys should go to Compton California and fly around the "hood" buzzing people's homes.

Karma strikes when that guy gets his finger slashed...

Don't click the link below if you're afraid of quad induced finger cuts.

https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...0&d=1420216507

Last edited by TheKingPhisher; 01-02-2015 at 08:01 PM..
TheKingPhisher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree things like this will be used against the hobby in the future. I think the "ass holes" comment was more out of jealousy and sarcastic. But hope he knocked on every door of every house and asked permission to fly over each property before he did this.

This drone thing is getting ridiculous. I saw a vid on YouTube where a guy crashes on a beach full of people and a group of kids start playing with the downed quad. Simply irresponsible use of a dji phantom. And even worse is putting it on the internet as fuel for the fire. Sometimes I wonder if there is a bunch of tinfoiled hatted folks out making these vids and doing these stunts to get these things banned. (Where's my tin hat?)

This vid is just some guys having fun for sure. But that DJI on the beach the white house and yellow stone park a airport? All these guys where idiots IMHO. I have to say when I look at the big picture of the worse of humanity and what we do wrong in the world it all stems from a selfish self superiority complex. I bet if there was a interstellar class ranking of society we would all be embarrassed to admit we where human. I know I am lol

Humanity hillbillies of the Universe
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If people would just follow a few pretty simple and reasonable rules as well as have some respect for others there would be little problem.

No getting around stupidity though.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

I've pretty much come to accept that the fun I've enjoyed flying FPV at our club without a lot of BS is going to come to an abrupt end in the near future. It's already starting to get kind of a bad stigma at our club due to a couple of knuckleheads doing stupid crap ruining it for the rest of us. We had one dude lose a plane into an apartment complex near the field. Of course he was flying on 5.8 with no flight controller or RTH with only the receiver in his Fatsharks. Then there are the guys who come out during busy times and want to fly around FPV through the main flight line without a spotter. These kinds of people don't seem to get it no matter how many times you warn them to keep it on the down low. And this is at a field sanctioned for RC flight. I can only imagine how many dumb mother truckers are out there in the wild.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
HF MR Support

The golden rule pretty much covers things - "Treat other people the same way you'd like to be treated by other people."

Pilot, Team Lavaquad
Old 01-29-2015, 01:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
I've pretty much come to accept that the fun I've enjoyed flying FPV at our club without a lot of BS is going to come to an abrupt end in the near future. It's already starting to get kind of a bad stigma at our club due to a couple of knuckleheads doing stupid crap ruining it for the rest of us. We had one dude lose a plane into an apartment complex near the field. Of course he was flying on 5.8 with no flight controller or RTH with only the receiver in his Fatsharks. Then there are the guys who come out during busy times and want to fly around FPV through the main flight line without a spotter. These kinds of people don't seem to get it no matter how many times you warn them to keep it on the down low. And this is at a field sanctioned for RC flight. I can only imagine how many dumb mother truckers are out there in the wild.
Starting to feel the same way about it all coming to an end. A few more fools and perhaps somebody actually doing something malicious and that's going to be it.

Robotics: Funny how the greatest boon to the RC hobby/industry could also be its end.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Of course he was flying on 5.8 with no flight controller or RTH with only the receiver in his Fatsharks.
Was that even English?

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
Was that even English?

Huh? Is that some kind of poke at my grammar? Or is it just a little too nerdy?
Old 02-12-2015, 03:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Must have been too nerdy... I understood exactly what you said.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Huh? Is that some kind of poke at my grammar? Or is it just a little too nerdy?
I'm not a FPV guy, so that might as well have been greek to me...

It's just funny how much jargon we all pick up, likely not even realizing it.

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2015, 12:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
I'm not a FPV guy, so that might as well have been greek to me...

It's just funny how much jargon we all pick up, likely not even realizing it.
I see your point. I'm sure my wife would agree.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in