Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > NextD - Stingray 500

NextD - Stingray 500 CJY Stingray 500 Quad Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I'm late to the Party, Where'd Everyone Go?????

Ok guys, this forum has been a ghost town for a while. Hopefully I didn't just do something stupid...

I've always wanted a Stingray. Been watching all the Curtis videos for a while, and came to two opinions: 1) with millions of different quads out there, this machine is very special, and 2) I like what Curtis and his small company were doing and wanted to support his efforts.

So, during this last 10% sale at HD I saw the price of the Stingray was reduced to $600, no doubt because they're getting out. While $540 can buy a lot of heli, I couldn't resist.

I picked up the 6s Scorpion 2010 to go with it.

I sure hope Curtis keeps stocking parts on his website, I'm gonna need em learning to fly this beast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 12:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile It's big and hairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelisRock View Post
Ok guys, this forum has been a ghost town for a while. Hopefully I didn't just do something stupid...

I've always wanted a Stingray. Been watching all the Curtis videos for a while, and came to two opinions: 1) with millions of different quads out there, this machine is very special, and 2) I like what Curtis and his small company were doing and wanted to support his efforts.

So, during this last 10% sale at HD I saw the price of the Stingray was reduced to $600, no doubt because they're getting out. While $540 can buy a lot of heli, I couldn't resist.

I picked up the 6s Scorpion 2010 to go with it.

I sure hope Curtis keeps stocking parts on his website, I'm gonna need em learning to fly this beast.
They are quiet, but still supplying parts and helis.
I don't know exactly why, but they don't seem to want to communicate on the forums.
If you contact them direct they are helpful and responsive...

Maybe they are too busy building a stingray 2.

I am thinking of the of doing a full carbon edition.
It has been mused, but I don't think that an original version has been converted with just the booms changed to carbon.

The spine on mine is full carbon.
With the lateral booms, carbon reinforced aluminium.

Others (Mr Gravity I think) have made more radical changes.

M
Old 04-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

I'm still enjoying mine. I've just learned to fly within it's limitations and haven't crashed it lately. It's fun to bust it out at the field when the newbies are feeling all impressed that their multirotor can do a flip. Let's see your quad do THIS.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I took mostly advice and got some thick walled cf tubing for the centre boom and thinner walled cf tubing for the cross booms,
When I get time to repair my last heavy landing, the carbon is going in the quad..

I love the machine but the repairs are a bit time consuming, hoping the carbon will help
Busher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 11:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I still have mine. I really like the way it flies. Just quiet because winter is just ending here. I haven't flown it for awhile.

I reinforced the aluminum booms with carbon tubing. It helped the last crash I had was easier to rebuild. It is similar in a way to a Heli when you crash. It can take awhile to repair. But it is unique and fun to fly. The customer support at Cutis Youngblood Hobies is awesome.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm late as well. But at least I made it... purchased a used one and should have it soon.
Lynx 130X, Lynx 180x, Oxy2, Helimax MX450 FBL, Goblin 380, Pantera 50 Nitro, Pantera 50 electric conversion w/ quattro head, Storm Type A 250 w/ SeriouslyDodo, DJI FW450 w/ Naza, FW650 w/ WKM, Phantom 3A, QuadH20 w/Pixhawk, CYE Stingray 500, and VDI ShadowHawk and many, many more.
z_man_95 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought one today got it two flights old from a friend for a good price.
Hoping to get some test's in this weekend.
If you guys have some do's and dont's concerning setup and so on any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just follow the videos for setup.

Let it idle on the ground for a few seconds before you lift off. Then switch to idle up. It lets the FBL unit initialize.

After my first crash I reinforced the booms with carbon fiber tubes. Helps lessen the damage in a crash.

Download and fly it in Real Flight 7.5, then you will have some practice. It flies different than a Heli.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.