Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm developing some serious lust for that Mill of yours!

I'm already coming up with ideas for projects to try to justify the learning curve involved, but it does look like a LOT of fun and a lot to learn.

How hard it is to mill a radius corner accurately by hand? Is it just very slow going?
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 08:17 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
I'm developing some serious lust for that Mill of yours!

I'm already coming up with ideas for projects to try to justify the learning curve involved, but it does look like a LOT of fun and a lot to learn.

How hard it is to mill a radius corner accurately by hand? Is it just very slow going?
Are you talking like to take an edge off? That's a matter of having a radius bit (which I don't have) or another method. Depending on the material, you can get a hand deburr tool or hit the edges with a file or sand paper.

The other radius, like if I wanted to make a circle cut, the only way I know of is to use a rotary table, which I do have, but haven't used yet. I have some other upcoming projects that I plan on using the table for, but well charger stuff comes first.

I'm sure there are other ways. YouTube is a great resource for how to do stuff like that. I'm fortunate that I have several people at work that I can turn to for advice and tips, and they all told me to just ask or bring it in and they'd help or even do it for me.
Grimmy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know a couple machinists who have offered to help me, so I won't ask you anymore questions in this thread. Sorry, not trying to derail your thread.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

not a problem at all. I'll help while I can. I have lots of time at work and such to post. Ask away if you have any questions. Itsall good!
Old 04-29-2015, 07:06 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The grizzly is definitely a nice home mill.

A friend of mine recently got one and he also got a really nice kit of parts to make it CNC. I believe he also spent a little bit of time remachining this and that on the Grizzly using his even smaller mill but I don't think it was anything major.

Grizzly G0704/ PM25mv CNC Roton CNC Conversion Kit (3 min 45 sec)
Old 04-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

CNC is great when you are doing multiples of something.

But after that conversion process it looks like it can no longer be manually operated.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My friend built his so it can still be run manually. I think he just mounted the handwheels on the other end but I'm not sure what he did about the Y axis.

CNC isn't just for one-offs. It's great for complex shapes and arcs that can't be done by hand and for tedious repetitive stuff (within a single part).

I basically did handcoded cnc for a few years professionally. At first you might be very slow but after a while it gets pretty easy. It really helps if your machine can handle variables, loops, subroutines and complex math like most modern programming languages.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Grizzly Tools has a retrofit stepper-motor CNC kit for their G704 mill. It drives the hand wheels via timing belts so you could use it either way.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some day I'd love to convert mine to CNC. I've seen a lot of different pricing for kits and such. I just don't have it in my to teach myself how to write the code, nor do I want to spend an arm and leg for software. I know there are some free ones out there, but well if I could take a class to learn it, I would (once I get all my other stuff done). I find it funny, I work on CNC machines, that's my specialty, but I don't know how to program one. I could do some ladder logic of how the machine works, but not G and M code. I do like that you could design something up on the computer and run it through a program and have it code everything for you, then you just dump it to the machine and put the right tool in and hit cycle start. I'd like to get into it more, but then I'd probably neglect my helis, and that's just not right.

I did get some pics from last night, but I've was swamped all day today, and have running around to do, so hopefully tomorrow I'll get them up and posted. Taking a night off to let the body rest.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:55 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Even with the best CAM software it rarely works that well. There is almost always a mistake somewhere that has to be found and corrected.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, so I had a really bad and busy week last week so I didn't get much done. I had a good friend that had to have knee surgery and well that took a lot of my time. I did get one day in and got some pictures. He's still in the hospital for a few more days due to oxygen levels but is improving.

Also I am borrowing a hammer drill and some bits from my dad, so I hope I can find some time to get my mill anchored to the floor and leveled up, so it will quit shaking if I am hand feeding.

So here's what was done last week:

So the top piece of the deck lid is acrylic, but I have am going to have a piece underneath, but that's going to be expanded PVC. On this piece there's only 1 critical cutout, so I penciled in from the top piece and I just eyeballed where the cutter needed to be and hogged out the material.

Got a couple squares taken out and now milling out where one of the balance boards goes.

With this material I can make full depth cuts, so here's hogging some material and making chips.

Got one done, and time to do the other.

I got the cutout for where the incoming power plug will go.

This how it stands as of right now.

I got one more cutout to make and then the real fun starts, assembly. I got a good feeling I'm going to have to take some off the outside ends so I can push the lid down in the case a littler farther due to the Duo's being tall. Not sure how I'll tackle that yet. At least this way I have a lot less area to have to cover and shave down. I did get some glue that I want to try to glue the acrylic to the pvc. After that it'll be time for supports and figure out how to wire everything and where and how to mount my power supply.

Hope to get more done tonight, but depends on what time I get home from the hospital. I might get my mill mounted to the floor and get that out of the way so I can get the drill back to my dad. I did have an rc club meeting Sunday, and well I need to get this done so I can go out and play and be able to charge like I want to. Stay tuned for more.....hopefully this week!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150428_191456.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	583937   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150428_192701.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	583938   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150428_192710.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	583940   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150428_192923.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	583941   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150428_193152.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	583942  

Name:	20150428_201513.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	583943  
Old 05-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does Acrylic smell as bad as Lexan does when you cut it ?

Or are the mill speeds slow enough that it doesn't out gas too badly?
Old 05-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

With the right speeds and good coolant the plastic shouldn't get anywhere near warm enough to out gas.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didn't notice any smell when I cut the acrylic. I did slow my feed rate down and I had to make several passes other wise it would heat up and clog the flutes on the end mill. Along with slowing the feed rate down, I kept an air gun blowing air on the cutter at all times. This helped in removing the chips and keeping the end mill cooler. I need to get a device that will do that for me and where I can add coolant as well if needed but I have another project going on that's taking most all my funding till that's complete.

I do have some Lexan. I think that's what it is. I'll have to look. It's think enough that if this doesn't work, I have a piece of "material" that is thick enough I can do what I'm doing with 2 sheets all in 1 sheet. It's a tad on the thin side though but I could make it work. There's a plastics place just across town, about 10 minutes away, and I picked it up out of their scrap bin. I'll have to make another trip there, as the acrylic piece is actually tinted, and I need another piece to make my access door from. Something I didn't know till I peeled the protective coating off the bottom side due to shavings being stuck to it, it wouldn't lay flat on the mill.

I ran my mill speed at about 2200 rpm, the max it would go. Feed rate was pretty slow, but not too bad. I just took small passes, 1-1.5mm per pass.....keeping the air on the bit though.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I was able to get back to this for a bit last night. My friend came home and well needed supervision all the time, so that took a lot of my time, to get the house situated for him to get around in and such. Once his brother and sister in law showed up to take care of him, I was able to get back to business for an hour before bed.

I got the bottom piece finished cut out, where the trap door will rest.

This is what the final cutout looks like. Time to get the glue out!!

I got some glue between the two pieces and lets just hope it sticks! Here you can see the ledge where the trap door will sit.

I haven't used my rotary table yet, as I just have to put some oil in and and it's ready to use. So I figured I'd get some good use out of it and use that as my weight to hold the pieces together. I think the table is about 130 pounds and not very fun to move from the other side of the shop. Some of my next projects I'd like to do I'd get some use out of the table,

That's all I got for now. I have a few holes to drill for some cabling and then it's on to the structure below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150505_203921.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	584347   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150505_210023.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	584348   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150505_210053.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	584349   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150505_210356.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	584350  
Old 05-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still around admiring your work. I have nothing to contribute but just to let you know that you are not posting into oblivion.

Great job
Old 05-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
So I was able to get back to this for a bit last night.
Looking good!

Sorry to hear about your disruption, but it sounds like you were being a good friend

You've inspired me! I've been watching beginning milling videos on YouTube and ordered a couple books on Milling. One step closer, but not quite ready to take the plunge.

The one thing that does scare me is the sheer weight of everything!
Old 05-07-2015, 06:34 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

The one thing that does scare me is the sheer weight of everything!
That was a huge decision in why I bought the one I did, was weight. I had 20 flights of stairs to go down. I think my total weight with the stand is around 360 pounds. I did have to take my mill apart to get it in the basement (I think I posted pics of that) while it was a pain, it was worth it. Anything bigger and I would have had to seriously take it apart and reassemble and well I didn't have the time nor patience to do all of that. Plus it was over kill for what I need. I've been really happy with it though. I'm at the point in my project that I don't need it anymore, so that's sort of a bummer, but that just means I'm that much closer to being done though.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:43 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
I'm at the point in my project that I don't need it anymore, so that's sort of a bummer, but that just means I'm that much closer to being done though.
Do you have other ideas for how you will use it after this?
Old 05-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Do you have other ideas for how you will use it after this?
I have some brackets or custom shaped clamps I'm wanting to make for my UTV to hang some mud flaps from, but I want them easily removable. I have a few other odds and ends stuff I want to make. Never know I might not like this case setup after I use it a bit and might start over and build another one. I don't know if I want to advertise custom cases and they are very very time consuming. Not having made one like this, I've ordering stuff all the time it seems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in