Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2015, 09:55 AM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I've thought about that. Will see once I get it done, if I want to do another one or not. lol
Grimmy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I got to work on my charging case a bit yesterday, and well I got some great results, so lets jump in where I left off.

Since I had the power supply already hooked up, I had to move things in together, which made things a little tough. I was able to get the velco on the power supply and get it attached to the back of the case.

I installed some supports for the deck lid to help with the weight of the 2 chargers. The deck lid itself is squeezed pretty tight into the opening of the case.

Here's a quick view of how it looks so far. Almost there!!

A quick power up test to make sure the DC ammeter powered up, and well it was reading a little bit of current as well.......from the 2 chargers.

I had a tad bit more machining to do on the removable lid. I needed to machine out room for the velcro that holds the lid down. I even did this on the rotary table, so I didn't have to move it. It worked pretty well.

I did run into a snag while testing some batteries out. The left balance board I had some how reversed the wiring into the plug that goes into the charger. So I had to get my exacto knife out and remove the wires one by one and find out where they were suppose to go. Simple mistake but very tedious to flip flop the wires around on the plug, and then had to do it to the other plug. Better that I find it now then at the field.

But I grabbed a little bit of everything and threw them on for a charge, and this is what I got. A 12c stick for my E7SE, 2x 4500 mAh for my E5s in parallel, and a 1900 mAh for my flight pack for my E7SE, all at the same time!!

So I'm calling this project completed for the most part. I need to get some containers for the tools I want to bring with to the field, and maybe a way to strap down my batteries in side, but that's minor stuff. The only thing I need to monitor is the temperature inside the case. Just pulling that much current from my power supply, the fans kicked into super high mode, but I didn't let it run for very long. I'll watch this at the field and see how it does. I'm hoping that when the Duo's fans kick on, it will pull out he heat and fresh air can come in on the other charger or from the front of the removable lid. I do have room under the chargers to install a fan, but the holes are big enough I think it will be good.

The handle works great for toting the case around as well there is some weight to the case. Even more when I get my lipos in there, but thankfully there are 2 handles on the case to carry it in different orientations.

I'll say this is one project I'm glad to have finished, but there this weird feeling of not having to rush in the basement when I get home to work on stuff. Like a void of emptiness. The shop is in need of cleaning and tools need to be put away, but I'm thinking nice roll around tool box for all the mill stuff is in order to make more bench top space. Maybe with that space a small metal lathe is in order, will see.

I guess this is it till the next project. I've got some thoughts brewing for the next one already so will see. hehe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_111013.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	586546   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_112607.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	586547   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_112618.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	586549   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_112757.jpg
Views:	2628
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	586550   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_121213.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	586551  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_133247.jpg
Views:	4092
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	586552  
smittylube likes this.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Very nice bud. My only concern is not having a fuse. Maybe it does and I missed it. I had an oops the other day. Lucky for me I only use fused paraboards. Two of my 6s 5000 packs would have been toast. Looking out for ya
Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette & Copter Guy View Post
Very nice bud. My only concern is not having a fuse. Maybe it does and I missed it. I had an oops the other day. Lucky for me I only use fused paraboards. Two of my 6s 5000 packs would have been toast. Looking out for ya
Nope, no fuses. I saw those para boards, but well I don't parallel charge much at all anymore unless I need a couple packs quick, but with this setup I shouldn't need it. I do all my lipo's the same, so I don't see a need for a fuse. I'm just used to hooking stuff up in an order to reduce the potential to touch something you're not suppose to.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just an update, as I was finally able to spend some time at the field yesterday. It was on the warm side, in the lower 80s. The spot I got under the sun shelter was well in the sun. I thought well it'd be a good test to see how warm things get and how they behave. I was charging a 12c stick and 2 4500 6c packs all at 2c and the fans on the chargers kicked in and I monitored temps with a infrared temperature gun and nothing over 130 degrees and I hand touched as well, and nothing too hot. I'd say the design of things works very well. I did noticed that one charger behaved a little differently than the other, in terms of the fans. Maybe that's due to one being an older firmware revision. One of these days I'll get it updated.

If I had to complain about anything, it would be that the ammeters were very hard to read in the sun, but so were the screens on the Duo's as well. Not a whole lot I can do about it. Once the sun moved after noon, it was in the shade and all was well. I'd have to say that I pretty much had a battery charging the whole time, and was there for close to 5 hours.
RCHN #633
Team SYNERGY
Old 08-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

wow. that's an unbelievable amount of work to get just exactly what you wanted. I applaud your skill and determination.
futaba 6J, spektrum dx6i
MtnMan1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in