Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Mikado V-BAR Control

Mikado V-BAR Control Mikado V-Stabi/V-BAR Control Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2021, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Vbar Touch battery capacity

Based on our last flights with Touch radio i have some question about battery capacity.

Radio was fully charged - 95% on indicator.
After 7 flights, about 2.30 - 3.00 minutes of each flight + about ~15 minutes in Idle mode radio was discharged from 95% to 55%.
Total flight time with active radio and model in air about 17 minutes plus about 15 minutes in Idle mode (with Active Idle feature enabled).

Seems radio discharged too fast: from 95% to 55% for 0.5 hours.
Im wondering - is it an issue with my power pack and need to be replaced by warranty?

What your average discharging time? Radio May 2021.
Jocker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2021, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Seems a little quick, but not massively far from mine. A full charge lasts me a day of flying which is 20 to 30 flights and 8 hours at the field. I normally end up on 30 to 40 %. That's using active idle and a 10s auto-switch off.

You will have to get used to charging every day. I use a fast charger from the cigarette lighter in the car so I can charge between home and field.
Jocker likes this.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardv View Post
I normally end up on 30 to 40 %. That's using active idle and a 10s auto-switch off.
Thanks for the info. Is Wifi module enabled? I'm not turn off Wifi during flight at the filed. May be persistent monitoring for Wifi network also influence to battery.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

WiFi is enabled. I used to turn it all off, but it didn't make enough of a difference, so now I leave it all on and charge daily or en route.

I have a mate who had his on wall charger every night for the last 2 years and it still seems fine.

An option is the extra battery. Makes it a bit heavier which some like and some don't.
Jocker likes this.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Turn brightness down and Wifi off when you are at the field. The VBCt will operate safely to 0% battery and will warn you when it is getting low.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2021, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine also does this then survives for 4x the time between that 55% and 20%.... not sure why.

Never had an issue at the field flying all day
Tek18x is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2021, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The battery indicator works from the voltage of the LiPo cell and as we know voltage drop quicker from 4.2V to 3.8V and then stay there a long time until dropping slowly to 3.1V when it is considered empty.

Unless Mikado installs a mAH used type of battery gauge (more expensive and not really required) we must understand the system and live with it.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2021, 06:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Their 0% is not actual 0% battery. Its 0% useable battery (20% battery?).

I turn the model's screen off ASAP after landing instead of waiting the default 3 minutes for it to shut off on its own. This seems to save some battery.

I keep wifi off unless I need it (check for updates - upload flights). I turn it on the next time I sim in that case and let it do its thing. This is a massive battery savings on mine anyways. At least while simming. It sips battery while simming unless the wifi is on, then it can use 5 to 10% of the battery in one 40 minute session.

I installed the 2nd battery as well. It pushed the time between charges way longer. I can fly all weekend and sim all week without the need to charge.

I will say that flying seems to use way more battery than simming. I guess that makes sense as it isn't blasting any radio signal while I sim.
richardv and Skeezix like this.
XL Power Specter 700
fiddle is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2021, 07:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
Turn brightness down and Wifi off when you are at the field. The VBCt will operate safely to 0% battery and will warn you when it is getting low.
Brightness is 43%. Good enough for sunlight day.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Answer from Mikado:

Hi,

first, comfort features like WiFi etc. will only cost you 2-3 % of battery, during a full cycle. I wouldn't mess with it, it causes longer screen times to enable/disable it each time, than what it would save. Active idle is also no big consumer.

Then, please monitor the overall runtime you get, over a full cycle. The percentage is not linear, it's honest: it shows the remaining capacity, based on the current battery voltage. And with higher load, it's lower than with lower load.
You can safely fly into the 15 % warning, and even then, you have like 30-60 mins of runtime left. The radio won't just quit on you, it will continue transmitting at full power until the last electron is used up, until the battery voltage drops below it's 3.3 V operating voltage.
Before, comfort features will shut down, the display will dim or even switch off, to conserve juice for the radio link.
But by then, you should have noticed, landed, and recharged already, enough time to notice there was ^^

Now to the load: the display is the biggest consumer. At full brightness, it draws around two amps, which would drain the 6 Ah battery in approx. 3 hours, tops.

To conserve juice, we have the ambient light sensor, and the possibility to adjust the minimum brightness (e.g. for indoor use).

So the average runtime of 4-6 hours (with one battery pack installed, as per default) can be achieved with average use, outdoors (flying), in the shade or outdoors (setting up or rigging), and indoors (setting up or just toying with it).

Here's an average discharge curve, with the minimum brightness set to 15 %, for reference.
So at full brightness, you can expect to see only 55 % within the first hour, but then the curve will flatten.
If you continue to use the radio at full brightness (outdoors, glaring sunlight right on the ambient light sensor), as being said above, the battery could be flat after approx. 3 hrs already. But that's normal, simple mathematics smiling smiley and then, there's always the option to double the capacity and runtime, with a second battery.

Kind regards

Eddi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery2.png
Views:	19
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	930289  
Old 09-01-2021, 09:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I added another battery and it made a world of a difference. After 10+ flights at the field I maybe get down to the 80% range. I highly recommend putting one in.
ah_liang likes this.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I get about almost 4 hours of consecutive flights about 3-4 min each on a full charge and battery ends around 40%. I'm happy with this and no need to get a second pack. By then I can just recharge and it only takes about half an hour. And if I don't fly back to back, it can easily last the whole day or more.

You must turn off wifi, use idle/standby mode, reduce brightness, and turn off apps you don't use.
AllanNg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2021, 11:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencerkey View Post
I added another battery and it made a world of a difference. After 10+ flights at the field I maybe get down to the 80% range. I highly recommend putting one in.
So here's another question - if adding a second battery to the touch, and the original battery has been used for a year+, do you need to buy two NEW batteries that have the same number of cycles on them? Or can you just add a new battery and be done with it?
Skeezix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2021, 12:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine was nearly a year old when i added the second battery. No trouble so far...
XL Power Specter 700
Old 11-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Speaking of second battery, everyone seems to be out of stock. Has anyone come up with a suitable second battery alternative with the proper connector?
Eflight V1200, Extreme Flight Dominator 60, Extreme Flight Slick 580, P-40 1400, etc.
monts is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is this one. https://shop.mikadousa.com/ManiaX-1S...ol_p_2741.html

I couldn't say for sure if it is any good myself. Everyone raves about these ManiaX batteries though.
XL Power Specter 700
Old 11-09-2021, 03:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wish it was more accurate, mine get to 50% quick then takes ages, 2 lipos in it
should be like that from factory 2 lipos
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2021, 06:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will try to swap with ManiaX 5C lipo. I really didn't like stock VBCt lipo capacity.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

re. VBC Touch battery... Did you replace the original as well?
Lindy757 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2021, 10:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy757 View Post
re. VBC Touch battery... Did you replace the original as well?
No. Not possible ship lipos to Russia via Arimail =(

But we was tested stock bat from 100% of charge:

32 flights about ~4 mins with ambient T form +3С (37F) to +10C (50F) and 10% capacity left.
I think about 4-5 flights can be possible at least 10%.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in