Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Mikado V-BAR Control

Mikado V-BAR Control Mikado V-Stabi/V-BAR Control Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So any idea of how many downloads you have?

In search of a 500-600 sized heli.
Preferably rtf with vbar.
povern is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by povern View Post
So any idea of how many downloads you have?
The current version is at 15 downloads at the moment, not really Minecraft numbers here I do however feel the latest version is somewhat what I set out to make when I started this project. It ticks the boxes of usefulness and usability, and looks.

I'm going to leave it like this for some time now as it works really, really well. I do have a few more things in my head but it can wait.
Only the ground is the limit!
LinusLarsson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello again guys,

I have a success story where a problem was analyzed and fixed using VBC flight analyzer.

A fellow pilot in sweden running a T-Rex 700 with 850MX-540KV and Scorpion 160HV had soft cutoff problems at lower RPM. Gearing was standard 12T pinion. The Scorpion line of ESCs do not have inbuilt logging. The ESC did not blink the diode as it should when overcurrent or undervoltage, this may be a firmware bug in the ESC, but there where no real signs of what actually happened.

After the usual guessing on the swedish board I suggested he tried flight analyzer. Even though he told me he wasn't into computers and such he was up and running in no time! I take usability seriously.

The first log he posted looks like this, as we can see motor PWM is around 75-80% when running headspeed of 1850. This is VERY hard for the ESC. Not only becuase it's running partial throttle, but also at 1850 you can still fly hard 3D and push lots of amps. This is the most taxing RPM for this system I would say. After the cuttoff he raises the HS and you can see a much healthier PWM value.

If we Zoom in at the log we will see this, the cuttoff at 160 secs. There is an obvious spike in current, likewise a voltage drop. After that Vbar governor was trying to raise headspeed but couldn't because the ESC was in soft cutoff.

After some debating we agreed that trying an 11T pinion would be the best to raise those PWM values at 1850 and hopefully have enough headroom for a higher RPM also. There where other things he could have tried like lowering timing or reduce pitch but 11T was decided to be a "safe bet".

This is the log after regearing to 11T pinion, a much better PWM value, no more shutdown! I would however say that possibly he is under geared right now since the PWM is bottoming out a tad too much at 2080 RPM, this is at the end of the battery though so he may live with it.

Just some example how to use the flight logs from the UI sensor to solve a problem. Do not forget that all logs are saved if you unload the Control regularly which means you can compare old logs to new ones. It may catch a problem before it becomes an expensive one.

/Linus
Old 07-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is amazing stuff! Thank you so much for putting the effort into this tool.

I must be doing something wrong though, I'm not seeing such detailed logs from my UI sensor. It seems to only show the minimum and maximum values, without all the details. Perhaps I'm just doing something wrong?
Old 07-19-2015, 03:09 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is from memory now.

To see UI graphs you have to connect your VBC to a helicopter, go into "application setup->Ui sensor" and enable "write logfile"

Now your VBC is writing logfiles to it's memory. When you unload to flight analyzer those logs will be picked up. IF you have a log for a particular flight there will be a "Yes" in the UI log column.

Double click on the "Yes", Voila!

/Linus
Old 07-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My recent use was less exciting, but still nice.

I needed to do some tuning on the tail to eliminate a kick in tic-tocs and wanted to eliminate the governor as the culprit (turns out it was). I ran a flight with the gov on, saw what the average PWM was in my flight when pulling amps (in maneuvers) at the desired headspeed. Turned off the gov and set the ESC percent to this to get about the same head speed in the maneuvers. I was able to quickly find that without the gov the heli did not have the tail kick in the maneuvers. This helped show that it was indeed the gov.

The app made it easy to get the value I needed to do a quick test where I could have confidence the head speed was about the same.
Amok Tim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
This is amazing stuff! Thank you so much for putting the effort into this tool.

I must be doing something wrong though, I'm not seeing such detailed logs from my UI sensor. It seems to only show the minimum and maximum values, without all the details. Perhaps I'm just doing something wrong?
The double click on the Yes on the VBLog and UILog wasn't obvious to me either at first.

Great tool BTW I've been going over my models and have found a governor issue due to a ground on my 500 thanks for your hard work
Linus
Old 07-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys, it's nice to hear people actually find serious use in my little hobby
Old 07-19-2015, 05:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks! I will make sure I have those options enabled for my next flying session.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you help me out? I'm not getting the graph to open up when I double click on the yes.
DougC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 01:08 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default V-Bar control flight analyzer

Is there any kind of output in the Console window when you double click? The black window that opens below the main application. Is the vbar log showing when you click on that?

Which operating system do you have? Windows version?

If you believe there is a genuine bug you can copy everything of your VBC using windows explorer, make a zip and email it to me and I will take a look so we know there isn't anything unaccounted for in your data. This is a five minute operation for me and no problem at all.

[email protected]

/Linus

Last edited by LinusLarsson; 07-20-2015 at 03:24 AM..
Old 07-20-2015, 02:12 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1071 View Post
The double click on the Yes on the VBLog and UILog wasn't obvious to me either at first.
I know this, I'm a little bit constrained by the UI framework I'm using. Obviously I would rather have a small button there. I will look into this in the future.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:20 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinusLarsson View Post
I know this, I'm a little bit constrained by the UI framework I'm using. Obviously I would rather have a small button there. I will look into this in the future.
Not a problem at all I know it's there now. It's very clean and easy to go over my logs.

I've encountered something similar writing SRS reports at work. I cheated and made the text font blue and underline so it looks like a hyperlink even though it isn't.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1071 View Post
Not a problem at all I know it's there now. It's very clean and easy to go over my logs.

I've encountered something similar writing SRS reports at work. I cheated and made the text font blue and underline so it looks like a hyperlink even though it isn't.
Very good advice, thank you! Also calling it "Show" instead of "Yes" and make it single click would be good enough. I will put this on my todo. Doesn't warrant a new version though.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	597982

I really like it. Real easy to use and read. Thanks again.
Lu523 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 04:10 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu523 View Post
Attachment 597982

I really like it. Real easy to use and read. Thanks again.
Thanks,

You seem to be over geared when reading the graph. If this is normal flying for you, you can take a tooth or two of the pinion and get a more efficient system.

You want the PWM value to reach 100% sometimes during your flights, but not too often. You are well below 100%
Old 07-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I saw that. It is the Logo 480 super combo. I could be wrong but I think a lot of people that have the 480 are flying the same way.
Lu523 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

If that's the case you are probably all right, I see you are low on head speed and not pushing any high currents.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:02 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a small update to the program.

If you are running ESC internal governor (or curves) AND not measuring your headspeed into VBC the UI graph didn't work. It does now.

The update v2.5.1 is not mandatory if these conditions are not met.

/Linus
Old 07-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any graphic designers here that are good at designing windows icons? It's some default I'm using now. Would be nice to have a real one.

If there are please contact me, I know nothing about sizes and such so check that up if you are interested.

Please keep in mind that Mikado are VERY protective of their IP. No copying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in