Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #161 (permalink)
Registered Users

hey folks,

sorry for the sparse responses lately, i am traveling. i am going to make a smaller version of the chassis. for some reason it allowed me to upload.

@ JustPlaneChris: thanks man, actually the maxir from LA was one of my favorite machines! 62cm and around 380gr. in fact, this inspired me to spec out the Oblivion like that! good guess!

christian

p.s. thrust bearing tail bladegrips are in the oven atm
criz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #162 (permalink)
Registered Users

Added a few improvements:

1. Thrust bearing tail blade grips, weigh the same as the blue alloy with regular bearings. Requires a slightly modified version of the Align H45T003XX

2. Anti rotation pin, drill a 3mm hole 10mm from the tail boom end. Allowed me to reduce 2 complete sets of bolt. The bird is a little tail heavy.

3. Mount support for the tail fin. SLS is too heavy, i am going to make carbon fin.

Cheers

Old 06-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #163 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by criz View Post
Added a few improvements:

1. Thrust bearing tail blade grips, weigh the same as the blue alloy with regular bearings. Requires a slightly modified version of the Align H45T003XX

2. Anti rotation pin, drill a 3mm hole 10mm from the tail boom end. Allowed me to reduce 2 complete sets of bolt. The bird is a little tail heavy.

3. Mount support for the tail fin. SLS is too heavy, i am going to make carbon fin.

Cheers

In that style of bearing layout there should be a shim between the radial bearing and the thrust bearing that matches the diameter of the shaft. This keeps the outer race of the radial bearing from touching the thrust bearings while allowing the thrust load to pass through the shim from the thrust bearing though the center race to the bolt.

It should look like this:

Not sure if you have done this as it's not clear from the pictures.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 05:15 AM   #164 (permalink)
Registered Users

@Atomic Skull: jepp, it's right in there. you could not tell by the pictures though.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:11 AM   #165 (permalink)
Banned

hows it going, I was thinking about you guys last night wondering how far off page 1 you've slipped with this. So now you got the black cf fiber preg plastic, is that what we're seeing?

You know, when I got to repairing my 300x tail case and main grips with cf tow and epoxy I began to make a practice of weighing the equivalent part in aluminum, for the strength the aluminum was far superior with no breakage, and no weight difference.

I guess no one can tell you how to design parts from a different perspective than one you have, plastic is not aluminum, I would take parts and smash them with a hammer, try to break them by hand, see how much they wiggle before creasing, not always but let's just say I never used my 300 tail box for very long as it ended up weighing more than aluminum after all the repairs, strong as a bugger now but no lighter than alu. I only used the tail clamps and hub once or twice almost immediately going to an aluminum align set.

I could suggest a whole lotta things but this is your gig, just beware of lessons of the past, the old school dudes are a hardened bunch because they grew up on the experimental phase where new companies arose with designs and iterations plagued with minor issues, many resolved at the expense of the consumer.

What I'm really saying is that the area of the grip between the blade screw and the bearing will fail first, without more material there, ya think?

good luck, nice to see someone out there trying there own thing.

here's a reminder of the main shaft dimensions, I'll measure my 300x one to compare and get back to this,

Quote:
main shaft is regular spring steel, 97x4mm solid. first 2mm bore after 5mm (center) next 2mm bore after 5+72mm (center).
Icanfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #166 (permalink)
Registered Users

@ Icanfly: thanks for the feedback. what you are seeing is regular SLS plastic, painted black by shapeways

alloy is stronger for sure, but also harder to build for most people. for SLS, i create a part, upload it, and a week later i have a new pair of bladegrips for 8 bucks. more importantly: everyone can

just to emphasize: there is not going to be a company around this, therefore no customers. i am building these items based on my experience with microhelis of the last 13 years, and in my free time. happy to see more Oblivions around of course, and supportive of it, but not actively working towards that

i'll send one of the blade grips over to jonas, see if he can break them
Old 06-25-2015, 08:23 AM   #167 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamishmorley View Post
I have made and STL file of the rotor head if anyone wants one...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kurmj8leyt...0head.stl?dl=0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertico View Post
So how about this idea....

Could you and criz make a model for emachineshop.com for the head and mainshaft and upload it? That would allow ANYONE the ability to go to emachineshop, upload the file and have the parts arrive at their door!

Let me know what you think!
Brent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code3Medic View Post
Yes, they are out there. partsondemand.us, and more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny31297 View Post
Hamish, are you sure you uploaded the right version of the rotor head? From what I see, all the bores and threads are missing.

So kind of following up on this, I see the STL file for the main hub but missing the threads. Has anyone progress been made on that?

It would be awesome if we could get a digital version to be able to send to one of the online shops to have the parts milled.

I would do it myself but I am graphically challenged
The milled parts are the absolutely only thing holding me back from starting a build.

Also, If someone can get those created, I take a vow that I will film a deliberate crash video so we can see how it holds up!

Lynx Heli Innovations Team Pilot
vertico is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #168 (permalink)
Registered Users

i was looking at emachineshop, but they require to use their windows software. i haven't been around to dig into that, also i am lacking a windows machine atm...

also it seems they will not accept STL files, if i am not mistaken.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #169 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by criz View Post
i was looking at emachineshop, but they require to use their windows software. i haven't been around to dig into that, also i am lacking a windows machine atm...

also it seems they will not accept STL files, if i am not mistaken.

Funny, it can export stl.

Let me do some digging and see if it can be converted and imported.

Lynx Heli Innovations Team Pilot
vertico is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #170 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you manage to import STLs into their app, I can try and create an STL in Freecad. Important to understand for me would be, how threads would have to be represented:

- As is, meaning pixel accurate thread (difficult to model in freecad)
- As outer diameter, as in 2mm thread = 2mm bore
- As inner diameter

or just as a text comment attached, to the guy that actually builds the part.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #171 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
what you are seeing is regular SLS plastic, painted black by shapeways
how do they do that? how many mil thick extra from that also?
Icanfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 09:25 AM   #172 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was now on the website and looking at the Getting Started page I saw that one needs a pair of mCPx main blades cut down to 47mm which I suppose is for the tail blades. I did a quick search and figured out that Lynx has 47mm tail blade set already and also KBDD has a 45mm tail blade as well. Will any of these blades work ok? Is there something special about the mcpx main blade that will work better for the tail?
Just curious, I already have many many mcpx blades that I kept from crashes, I knew they would be useful someday
Blade 450X
Heli.Maniac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 09:51 AM   #173 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icanfly View Post
how do they do that? how many mil thick extra from that also?
It's actually dyed, not painted. I doubt it adds any measurable amount.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:57 AM   #174 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes, dyed, that is what i meant. it does not change anything regarding measurements / tolerances as far as i can see from comparing with plain white parts.

@ anmatheextreme: i don't know, you will need to try out
Old 06-25-2015, 09:57 AM   #175 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmatheextreme View Post
I was now on the website and looking at the Getting Started page I saw that one needs a pair of mCPx main blades cut down to 47mm which I suppose is for the tail blades. I did a quick search and figured out that Lynx has 47mm tail blade set already and also KBDD has a 45mm tail blade as well. Will any of these blades work ok? Is there something special about the mcpx main blade that will work better for the tail?
Just curious, I already have many many mcpx blades that I kept from crashes, I knew they would be useful someday
Probably not. You need the chord and length, otherwise the tail won't hold in clockwise pirouetting maneuvers. I wouldn't fly with less than 21mm chord and shorter than 55mm.
YouTube - AccuRC - Oblivion
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #176 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny31297 View Post
Probably not. You need the chord and length, otherwise the tail won't hold in clockwise pirouetting maneuvers. I wouldn't fly with less than 21mm chord and shorter than 55mm.
So 55s on the tail will fit? It is just that I looked at my mcpx blades and they seem thin and flexible to me but if the tail performance is tested out and it works (seems very good in your videos), then great.
Blade 450X
Old 06-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #177 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmatheextreme View Post
So 55s on the tail will fit? It is just that I looked at my mcpx blades and they seem thin and flexible to me but if the tail performance is tested out and it works (seems very good in your videos), then great.
55mm is the blade length with the T-Rex 450 Sport tail. The diameter will increase slightly with the sls tail grips, will have to determine the final tail blade size as soon as I have the new tail. I'm sure Chris will then update the website accordingly
YouTube - AccuRC - Oblivion
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 10:57 AM   #178 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

An amazing project!

Congrats Chris and Jonas for making this a reality. I've never seen such a small parts list
Raptorapture is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #179 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been squandering time today putting together a spreadsheet with costs and links to the off-the-shelf bits. This won't necessarily be a cheap project (looking like ~$300 for everything) but it would certainly be unique!

I'm considering looking at an off-the-shelf rotor head as well (possibly Oxy3) to see if I can avoid having to find a way to get one machined. EDIT: Nope, Oxy3 has a 3mm spindle so it wouldn't work with the Oblivion grips without figuring out a different bearing configuration.

Has anyone found a US vendor for the carbon tail boom material?
Old 06-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #180 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
I've been squandering time today putting together a spreadsheet with costs and links to the off-the-shelf bits. This won't necessarily be a cheap project (looking like ~$300 for everything) but it would certainly be unique!

I'm considering looking at an off-the-shelf rotor head as well (possibly Oxy3) to see if I can avoid having to find a way to get one machined. EDIT: Nope, Oxy3 has a 3mm spindle so it wouldn't work with the Oblivion grips without figuring out a different bearing configuration.

Has anyone found a US vendor for the carbon tail boom material?
I think you will be able to get some from Hobbyking's US warehouse. They have all kinds of sizes for cf tubes and they are cheap.
Blade 450X

Tags
oblivion 300, oblivion 300+, oblivion heli

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.