Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 180CFX

180CFX Blade 180CFX Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Taming the 180 CFX

I know I am the odd man out in a forum of 180 CFX lovers. On the one hand I also love many aspects of the 180. I love its size. I like a lot about the way it is built. I love the way it looks. I love the ready availability of all the after market parts.

But!! (You knew it was coming).

There seems to be no easy way to tame this thing for those of us that like relaxed sport flying. Getting out of governor mode which has this bird's head screaming like crazy right from start up is a pain. I know that the Talon ESC is programmable. But Castle Link does not run on a Linux operating system. I don't have Windows and have no desire to get it. Does anyone know if the Talon can be purchased with a normal throttle response so I can program my transmitter to give me what I want based on stick position.

As it comes stock this thing is just way too quick for an old fart like me with slower reflexes. I just want to slow it down to start and then grow with it by simply programming my DX8. I cut my beginner teeth on an MCPX after having no luck with a 120 SR. The MCPX required some careful growth on my part but it was fairly easy to enjoy after a reasonable amount of careful practice.

In two months of ownership I have succeeded in getting about 8 minutes of total flying time. Lots of crashes. Lots of broken parts. Many hours of tearing down and rebuilding to get it ready to fly again. The servos have been rebuilt with metal gears. Servo saver arms installed. Replaced skids a few times. Replaced gears in the tail drive train a couple of times. Anyone who thinks this heli isn't fragile is having much better luck than me and some of my crashes weren't very hard.

This love/hate relationship has me on the ragged edge of just getting it flyable again and selling it but my hard headedness wants me to try and make at least one successful flight.
SCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't imagine needing anything lower than their settings for "normal" (mine has no zero at the bottom, just another IU that way) for sport flying. I could see lowering it more for living room hovering but really it is pretty slow and I don't fly smack if that's what you're thinking. I you stayed in normal and dropped your D/R some I'm sure it wouldn't take much to get used to it.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default All I know is normal.

I could not imagine getting out of normal mode any time soon. Right now I would just like to hover and practice orientations all over again like I did with my MCPX. But that screaming fixed head speed is just ridiculous for someone like me. All it takes is just a touch past mid stick and this thing leaps into the air and climbs like a homesick angel. Bring it back just a tad to get it to hover and it drops like a brick. I have yet to get it to a nice steady hover so I can ease into flying it.

What is this fascination with fixed high head speeds? You should be able to control your head speed with the throttle stick and your throttle curve settings in the TX.

I know that most of you more experienced flyers that enjoy 3D probably like all the power in this heli. But it should be easier for the rest of us to fly tamer routines.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, short answer for now... where in SC are you? I have everything to tame the little bird down, and would be happy to help you...i spend a lot of time in the Charlotte area.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why not adjust your pitch curve then? Soften your values around midstick. Also, I was suggesting statin in normal mode, I only called it an IU because I don't set the low value to zero. Constant headspeeds are a good thing, they help to keep the thing feeling linear and governors prevent a lot of bogging. Just because the blades are spinning fast doesn't mean the heli itself is quick. I can putz around slowly in IU2 if I feel so inclined, just use less cyclic. I get what you mean but I really think you will be fine in normal if you just adjust your pitch and cyclic throws.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post

What is this fascination with fixed high head speeds? You should be able to control your head speed with the throttle stick and your throttle curve settings in the TX..
Blade went with a governor on this heli. I am new to it too but am getting use to it and starting to like it more and more. This heli has high disk loading meaning that it likes a high head speed, just something you have to get use to. I usually take off and land in normal 25% and then switch to IU1 75% to fly. I am just a sport flyer too, so to tame it down just lower your D/R about 50% and around 20% expo.
Also set your throttle curve to 25% straight across. Very important: You will have to have TH set before you plug in your battery, then turn TH off to take off and when you land hit TH to shut off the motor. This way the motor will not die on you in the air.
Change your throttle curve to 75% straight across for IU1. You can switch to that after you take off.
Change you pitch curve to L-45%,2-55%,3-65%,4-75% and H-95% on both normal and IU1. This seems to be a pretty good sport flying setup. (You can also try and fly it in normal mode. I didn't like it) Don`t attempt 3D flying with this setup. Give it a try if you want, it should tame it down for some mild sport flying.
Edit: Feel free to PM me with any questions, I bet I`m older than you . Good luck.

Last edited by Pilotrob; 06-02-2015 at 10:18 PM..
Pilotrob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Skidpad, I am in the Greenville area. Just north of there actually in Travelers Rest.

Mojappa, if you can putz around slowly with this heli you are way better than me. But that goes without saying I guess. I realize that this bird is intended for people with serious 3D interests. But I like the way a CP heli handles way better than a FP. I would just like to turn this into a bigger MCPX so I can fly it the way I like to fly.

Generally speaking I really like this 180. I am just not a fan of the governor. I don't like screaming head speeds. Even with my pitch curve tamed down I still find this thing to be pretty darn quick. I am going to continue to look for a Talon that is already programmed without the governor.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Taming the 180

I know that I spattered this in some other threads, however based on the title of this thread, I thought it may be helpful here as well.

Blade 180 cfx Stability (5 min 19 sec)
PassinThru likes this.

3DLee's Youtube Channel, Protos Max V2, TRex 500,550, 600, Blade 300,450,360CFX, MCPX-BL--I have flown it all.
3DLee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey I took another HF guys advice and reprogrammed the ESC and set end points. I am a sport flyer as well. You can tame this little bird. I installed a micro Ikon for self level as well. Just a thought.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would concentrate on pitch, expo and rates rather than head speed. Dropping the headspeed below a certain point will just bring on instability because the 180 is very heavy for its disk size aka high disk loading. Sort of like the 250. Dropping headspeed on this thing will make the disk feel wobbly requiring constant correction and you'll also notice a tendancy for it to want to drop slowly and "bounce" off the ground as you try to correct it. It is counter productive really.

Try to ignore the noise, raise expo, drop rates and make you linear pitch curve much flatter?
PassinThru likes this.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
I would concentrate on pitch, expo and rates rather than head speed. Dropping the headspeed below a certain point will just bring on instability because the 180 is very heavy for its disk size aka high disk loading. Sort of like the 250. Dropping headspeed on this thing will make the disk feel wobbly requiring constant correction and you'll also notice a tendancy for it to want to drop slowly and "bounce" off the ground as you try to correct it. It is counter productive really.

Try to ignore the noise, raise expo, drop rates and make you linear pitch curve much flatter?
This. You can't get too worked up over headspeed since there are many other ways to reduce its responsiveness without giving up stability and wind fightin capabilities.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe try moving throttle down from 125-130 to 100% in travel adjust menu, then 85/30 dr/expo. Just moving throttle travel down with 25% straight across thr curve the headspeed didn't seem like it was screaming at all coming from a nano even. Just seemed weird since throttle goes up to a point and stays made it kinda feel like a nano/mcpx in IU. It wasn't the headspeed that felt fast to me but the aile/elev responsiveness when i transitioned. Never used dr/expo but didn't notice till later that I never moved the throttle travel from 100to125% like the manual says, maybe thats why it didn't feel like it had too much pop when i first started flying it.
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My biggest struggle with the 180 is the constant fear of crashing cause I know it's going to break. Those added nerves made me always have crashing in the back of my mind which seemed to make me crash way more than usual. Stupid panic mistakes I never make with the nano. Well not until i started practicing inverted hovering lol, but when i panic and start to lose it when I'm inverted, most of the time i can bail out back to upright instead of dump it in the grass.
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sc Flyer I recommend a small set of training gear while your learning. I think the preset low gov, with -3 to 8 degrees of pitch, and a bunch of expo should make it pretty manageable.

The tail is pretty fragile for a hard set down so the traingear will also help get it up a bit. Im not sure the heli is preferred for training, but you can make it work if you are committed I'm sure
aschen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Interesting Advice

A lot of interesting advice here. Some of it seems to conflict. I am going to try and play around with some of the settings on my radio and see if it helps.

I watched the video from 3DLee and that heli does not seem to have any where near the head speed that mine has in normal mode using the factory settings. There seems to be two schools of thought on the head speed issue. The problem I have as I mentioned in my opening post is that I cannot run the Castle software on my computer. So tweaking the ESC is out right now. I haven't been able to identify a source for a Talon 15 that is programmed to operate with what I consider a normal throttle response instead of governed.

If I could get mine to behave like the one in the video I would be thrilled. I can do that sort of flying with my MCPX all day long. But this 180 reacts so quickly to every little input I give it that I can't settle into a nice quiet hover.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you check all your tx settings? It should hover with more stability than your mcpx practically by it self. Your servos may be out of alignment as well, sounds like something might be wrong. Other than a little tail wag now n then it should hover solid as a rock unless you're giving to much input back n forth and fighting yourself.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's very responsive but also very precise, never does anything i don't tell it to do like my nano thats little brain seems to get scrambled by hard maneuvers causing it to go squirrely. When i went to the 180 it felt very responsive but not crazy enough to feel the need for dr/expo and the nano is very underpowered in comparison. Just took a little getting used to, never crashed just hovering though. All settings were per manual except i forget to move the throttle travel from 100 to 125%.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Settings

Yes I have checked and rechecked all of my settings. My normal mode settings started exactly as they are in the manual. The only thing I changed was the pitch curve so that I got a little less negative pitch below mid stick. I was having too many problems coming down hard and fast every time I lowered the stick.

This heli does everything I ask of it as well and it does so precisely and exactly. My problem is that it does so too quickly. The heli reacts to every little input I give it very fast and strong. Then I find myself reacting and correcting. Pretty soon I am bouncing all over the place. I added 30% expo on all of the controls in normal mode and it did not help much at all. I will look into the DR settings next.

I just want this 180 to go a little slower. If I had control over both head speed and pitch I could fly as fast or as slow as I wanted.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is very responsive, the first # in the dr menu is how fast it moves in that direction(servo speed) the second is how quickly it responds (expo). Just a wild guess but maybe you can have too much expo?? Causing it to get farther out of control before it responds making you over correct, then you have to give more correction back the other wayto catch it causing a constant battle?? Idk just a thought.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Honestly i would forget about headspeed and pitch and keep them at thev recommended settings. Im sure they did plenty of testing and found that it behaves best at the settings in the manual. Lowering the hs might have the reverse effect than you're looking for causing it to fall even faster on decent. Stick input and servo speed is going to have a bigger effect on control than hs and pitch.

That's why i left the settings alone and took it easy till i got used to it the way it was meant to be flown. On normal mode with 25% flat throttle curve it already flies a little heavy, trying to tame those two down is prob only gonna make that worse. You're prob shooting yourself in the foot. Put settings back to normal and try 75/15 d/r and concentrate on tiny precise stick movement not headspeed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in