Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 180CFX

180CFX Blade 180CFX Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2019, 03:05 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Correct - You should adjust the position of that servo arm so it's perpendicular to the boom when the tail blades are at zero-pitch. This is how my helis are setup.

The servos should jump to their 'center' positions shortly after powering up the heli. At this point all servo arms should be at right angles to their respective push rods. Power off and adjust any that aren't (or get them as close as possible).
FR4-Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
Correct - You should adjust the position of that servo arm so it's perpendicular to the boom when the tail blades are at zero-pitch. This is how my helis are setup.

The servos should jump to their 'center' positions shortly after powering up the heli. At this point all servo arms should be at right angles to their respective push rods. Power off and adjust any that aren't (or get them as close as possible).
Many thanks, FR4-Pilot. I will make sure it is set up as you have advised.
tony#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 03:28 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
you actually should fly whatever you are comfortable with until you can fly in all orientations and crashing is rare. Once you get to that point your skills will allow you to fly even a twitchy bird.....it may be a little more difficult but your muscle memory will get you there.

If you are going to fly the 180 though and since you asked people who are more advanced fliers than yourself. I recommend listening to what they say. The answer to your problem is indeed better remedied by lowering your pitch. Think about what pitch does. The more pitch you have gives you more or lift (To a point that is....too much pitch and you can actually have your blades start fighting the wind instead of cutting through). You say it rockets up too fast....lower the pitch and it's impossible for it to do so. Also since there is less pitch in the blades your aileron will also have less overall travel so when you start flying the heli it won't dart off so hard in the direction you tell it to go.

I am thinking about the exact same thing. By lowering the pitch travel, Use pitch curve like 10-30-50-70-90, low dual rate and add some expo. Would a 180CFX fly docile like a 230S, but with much more precision and maneuverability?

Despite being extremely fragile but what is the true advantages of mechanical tail CP? Is there really a point of getting one of these if I never intend to do smack-3D? (I only do sport flying, inverted pass & circle, loop and stuff)

Always wanted one, just not sure if they are suitable..
Old 05-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi folks
Reading this thread has helped me to tone down my Trio 180 so that i can actually learn to fly it now
I kept the head speed and pitch curve as in the manual for normal flight but turned down the dual rates to 60 with an expo of 30. It certainly is not as twitchy and able to get a reasonably stable hover now
Thanks to everyone
Old 06-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post

On topic but of no help to the OP. would just like to thank FR4 pilot for the excellent tutorial for taming the blade 180.

I was actually tinkering with my old 130x, I put a lynx eox 1101 motor (a big upgrade, faster motor than stock) in it and suddenly lost all that was good about the 130x. The gains where shot the calmness had been thrown out the window etc etc...

This then lead me to the 180 which I had put away months/years ago. I had the thought that if I reversed what I just did to my 130x then perhaps the 180 would fly (and crash) more like the 130x. as ive been around a while I remembered a tutorial but not where it was. A simple google and I ended up on the blog spot. Well I have 2s batteries for the 130x so crafted a quick adaptor for the 180 and then went through the blog/tutorial. End result I now have a calm 180CFX.

Excellent work my friend.
HedgeHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

HedgeHeli! It sure has been a while - great to hear from you! And, You're Welcome
I'm glad you were able to find something useful in that blog. However, I'm thinking it might be coming to the end of its useful life. Be nice to hit 30,000 views by this summer though
Enjoy that sedated heli - I wish I could fly mine more, weather here has been rain for most of June. Maybe July will be better ?

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 06-20-2019 at 03:56 PM..
Old 01-26-2020, 02:27 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

FR4. I am glad your blog is still there. I am an old guy getting back to the hobby that I started in 2009. I messed around with junk RTF helis and such for a couple of years. Then I started figuring some thing out. Bought a DX6i and Blade 450. Then an original mCPx. I was getting to the point where I didn’t crash every 30 seconds. Then my 11 year old son started flying. He was/is a natural. He went from the mCPx to a 450X in a month and then finished second in a contest at a decent sized event. I started doing build and setup for him. I no longer flew. He got sponsors and became somewhat well-known. Then he turned 16 and basically quit the hobby. I have since retired and he is in college. It occurred to me when we moved last summer that I still have a lot of Heli stuff and it wouldn’t be too hard to return to the hobby I started over 10 years ago. I will never fly like my son. But I will be fine just being a decent sport flyer. I do have a lot of general Heli knowledge. I recently started spending some time every day on a sim. I still have a Blade 180, 450X, 360 CFX, OXY3, Mini Protos and 2 Gaul X7s. I have lots of parts for most of them. So I am starting to fly again. I haven’t chosen a flying field yet so I am starting small with the Blade 180. 4200 rpm in my backyard seems excessive. I had to repair a few things and just started flying it late today. I had forgotten about the headspeed. So I started looking to see how to slow it down a bit. So it was nice to see your old blog. I’d have likely gotten there on my own but it was nice to read about how someone had done it before. Saved me some time. So you never know when you’ll help somebody out. Thanks!

Blade mCPX BL2, Blade 180 CFX, Blade 450X, Blade 360 CFX, Oxy 3, Mini Protos, Gaui X7
rreichar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Rod!

Thanks for the feedback. Glad the info is still relevant ! Don't tell anyone, but that blog is really about the Talon15 ESC - the heli is just the delivery system Without the efforts of Castle Creations that blog would not exist. I wish Blade would include fewer of those 'mystery' ESCs on their helis and more Castle or like ESCs.

I see you were involved with Century helis about 2 years before I was. Sad they went away - I still have a few Swifts and a bunch of parts.

Enjoy that little 180!

-John
Old 01-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used to love the Swift. I actually threw away three airframes when we moved last summer. I think 2 had motors but otherwise just bare. Two were converted to flybarless with Align heads. They worked well once you got past the wobble on spoolup. We put that house up for sale and had a firm offer later that day. We only had a couple of days to move and a decent sized room that was full of Heli stuff. It was difficult to even walk as a lot of it used to live in a trailer when my son was still flying. So everything that wasnít flyable got tossed. Desperate times. I gave away a Thunder Tiger E700 and a Protos 700 ready to fly. I didnít really have spares for either one.

I had to order the adapter for the Castlelink. It will be here tomorrow. We were sponsored by Hobbywing for several years. They worked well with the MSH Brain governor. They were a sponsor as well. Itís been quite a while since Iíve programmed a Castle ESC. I still have a couple of 160s lying around. One old Ice160 and an Edge160. I put a prototype MSH Microbrain in the 180 last night. The firmware updated just fine. I was surprised as it is somewhat different hardware than the production version. Setup was weird as the wizard didnít like the swashplate. I had to set It up manually. It has self-leveling and rescue functionality which I thought might be helpful. Made it a little heavier but not that much. I am enjoying playing around with it. Now I just need to get the headspeed down a bit. My wife is already sick of it as I donít have a hobby room in this house so I am working at the bar in the kitchen. Thanks again for the blog.

Blade mCPX BL2, Blade 180 CFX, Blade 450X, Blade 360 CFX, Oxy 3, Mini Protos, Gaui X7
Old 01-26-2020, 07:07 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found a video of my son flying the 180 5 years ago. I think the tail exploded a couple of flights later. I assume this was at 5000. Sounds like it.

Carter Reichardt Blade 180 CFX Fun in Georgetown (3 min 7 sec)
wab223 likes this.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:36 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOW! Your son has got some pure talent there for sure! He dominated that heli! I thought he was going to auto it down a couple of times from up high. I don't think he would be interested in my low head speed blog at all Nor does he need it.

I've been there too, having to give away a bunch of stuff I would have much rather had the time to sell off. Sometimes life doesn't give you any other choice

I'm gonna go watch that video again ....
Old 01-26-2020, 08:42 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreichar View Post
I used to love the Swift. I actually threw away three airframes when we moved last summer. I think 2 had motors but otherwise just bare. Two were converted to flybarless with Align heads. They worked well once you got past the wobble on spoolup. We put that house up for sale and had a firm offer later that day. We only had a couple of days to move and a decent sized room that was full of Heli stuff. It was difficult to even walk as a lot of it used to live in a trailer when my son was still flying. So everything that wasnít flyable got tossed. Desperate times. I gave away a Thunder Tiger E700 and a Protos 700 ready to fly. I didnít really have spares for either one.

I had to order the adapter for the Castlelink. It will be here tomorrow. We were sponsored by Hobbywing for several years. They worked well with the MSH Brain governor. They were a sponsor as well. Itís been quite a while since Iíve programmed a Castle ESC. I still have a couple of 160s lying around. One old Ice160 and an Edge160. I put a prototype MSH Microbrain in the 180 last night. The firmware updated just fine. I was surprised as it is somewhat different hardware than the production version. Setup was weird as the wizard didnít like the swashplate. I had to set It up manually. It has self-leveling and rescue functionality which I thought might be helpful. Made it a little heavier but not that much. I am enjoying playing around with it. Now I just need to get the headspeed down a bit. My wife is already sick of it as I donít have a hobby room in this house so I am working at the bar in the kitchen. Thanks again for the blog.
I also have a 180CFX that I've never been able to get flying really good. Today I had it outside with a MicroBrain installed instead of the AR6335a that came with it and I still am not really impressed. It's a real handful just to keep it in the air long enough to adjust it. I'll post a video and maybe over the next few days I'll find how to adjust the microBrain to get it flying ok. It's not a V2 just the original microbrain, so maybe that is part of it ... ?
EndoDusk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2020, 05:54 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

FR4 yeah I had forgotten how hard the boy flew that thing. He loved dropping from way up and over speeding the head. I think thatís why the tail exploded. It was really impressive with a 700 sized Heli. He didnít really practice except some on a sim. Weíd usually fly a couple of times a month. And heíd usually be better each time. It was cool to see but a little frustrating as it never came easily for me. Of course heís part of the XBox generation. He was at our house a couple of weeks ago and flew a little on the sim. In 5 minutes or so he was flying like he did 5 years ago. Iíd like to see him fly in the future but he was never really interested in setup and building. I doubt heíd ever learn it on his own.

Endo I took the Microbrain out of mine after a couple of days. I thought it flew better for me with the stock controller. I doubt that being an early version is a problem. You lose some features but they should fly about the same as the V2. I played with settings for a couple of hours but it didnít feel very locked in. Also pitchy. I was just hovering around my small backyard in the dark. I really didnít spend adequate time on tuning it. I know I have seen a couple of 180s fly really well with the original Microbrain. Once I have some time to play with it I will likely try it again. I was not being very systematic. I was changing a number of parameters each time rather than small single changes.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:14 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sonís flight with the 180 in the front yard.

Carter Reichardt Blade 180CFX Second Flight (3 min 8 sec)

Old 01-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

I found a 3600kv Fusion 180 motor on eBay for $12. Guy was local to me so it showed up very quickly. This is allowing me to use my existing 3S packs. I had 3 brand new in the freezer in my garage. After nearly 5 years they seem brand new. IR is perfectly fine for what were cheaper packs to begin with. So I set my headspeeds down to 3000, 3150 and 3300. This seems perfect for me. It is really windy here today so I didnít fly it much. It seems to fly great. Surprising how wind resistant it is at the size.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:25 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

That video is fun to watch - nice evening, out front, calm weather, smooth heli, excellent pilot. I'd like to watch that live, with a cold one

Good to know the Fusion 180 motor fits. And being able to thaw those 3S packs out is a bonus! A few years ago I crashed my 180 at low head speed (probably around 3000) and all I had to do was reset my servo savers - I thought that was awesome
rreichar likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in