Gaui R5 built and setup thread. - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters

Gaui Helicopters Gaui Official Factory Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Gaui R5 built and setup thread.

Seeing that some lucky factory pilots are building theirs already, let us start a thread on tips, tricks and prefered setups.

Can't wait for the 13th!
Vinger is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2015, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Vinger
I'm interested in what people are putting in theirs. I get mine on Tuesday and have a kosmik 160 esc on its way but cant decide on a motor.
Due to issues with getting lipos at this end of the world I will be sticking with 12s for now, probably hyperion 3300 x2 as they are available. I'm thinking xnova 4530-525, but I'm really keen on some input if anyone has a better idea, to get the most out of this heli. The other option was the 4530-540scorp which is cheaper, but I know it's gonna really cook inside that fuse?!?!?! Plus wont look anywhere near as good as the Kontronik/xnova combo:-)

SOOOOO, I guess my point is, what are peoples thoughts on the best motor 12s for the R5. Scorp/xnova/pyro? for all out speed
Cheers Peter
flyingkiwi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

XNova 4530-525KV with stock 21 pulley. I am using the Scorpion 160SBEC ESC and MKS servos. The motor and ESC are real heavy for a 580mm size heli, but hp comes at a price.

You brave to own up you have your kit!! Psst no talking now, but mine built already!!
Old 08-11-2015, 05:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
XNova 4530-525KV with stock 21 pulley. I am using the Scorpion 160SBEC ESC and MKS servos. The motor and ESC are real heavy for a 580mm size heli, but hp comes at a price.

You brave to own up you have your kit!! Psst no talking now, but mine built already!!
Will you be running this on 12 or 14s? Or is there a possibility to find a setup that works good on 12S and when you want amazing headspeed and short flighttimes you can pop in 14s?

Good to know the Scorpion ESC fits, I bought one cause I found it cheap but was unsure if it was too wide. Do you have a pic of this installation?
Only the ground is the limit!
LinusLarsson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Haha, "I know nothing"
Ok have settled on the 4530-525, I'm running MKS servos too.
Just found out we have some of the new Hyperion batteries coming as well, I think they are the 3650mah 6's.
Really liking the quality of the kit, from what I have seen so far. Only thing is, the rear canopy magnet is not perfectly square so it isnt getting a good grip, slight pain but I can fix it without to much trouble. Man this thing is thin, it must just about disappear when not side on in the air:-)
Old 08-12-2015, 02:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Rear canopy magnets look out of line, but when you finish the heli with it mated to the rear section it actually lines up.

Mine will be 12S only, it is already heavy as it is. Scorpion ESC fits no problem.

Gotchas during build:

Retract setup is a pain, make sure you line up the grubscrews to get to them once rear canopy section is on.
Pinion only threaded for 3mm grubscrew, manual says 4mm and supplied is 4mm.
Plastic ballinks tend to split at the ring end, brittle!!
Make sure you fit FBL unit as far forward as you can, so that you can get to it without taking of rear section of fuselage.
Wiring of ESC battery wires needs to be as clean and narrow as you can get them, lots of space in fromt of ESC, but not next to it.

Still need to maiden mine, but really impressed with what Gaui achieved with it. No to find 580-600mm decent speed blades as the Halo blades are real crappy at speed flying!
Old 08-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Man, good info. Mine is built and just waiting for esc and motor, and batteries. Decided to put full size vbar on so it's easier to play around with governor, will try no gov, vbar gov and kontronik gov. I also have an optiguard, just need to figure out where it will fit. I'm really interested in your search for blades, when I read that Halo had developed some 580's for this I had assumed they were for speed. Cheers Peter
Old 08-13-2015, 06:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey just a thought. Using stock 21t pinion and the160 kontronik, would the scorp 4525-520 be an ok motor choice?? Just the exchange rate is terrible for us it the moment and I can get one of these off a mate fairly cheap. Thoughts?
Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oops I meant 4235-520
Old 08-14-2015, 01:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great motor for it on stock pinion.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Haha, are you saying the 4235-520 is great on stock pinion or are you referring to the xnova in the pics.?
Old 08-14-2015, 08:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sry was refering to the Scorpion, the Xnova 4530 is 525KV and works well on 12S. Just need better blades than the crappy Halo blades as they are useless for speed flying, pitches up badly and moderate speeds. No matter what I do they just don't work. Wish I could get Radix or Xblades in the correct size.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great pics, what's your target HS? Bummer they couldn't supply speed blades...
Old 08-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

2600 or more depends on what blades I can get. Flew her this pm and she pitched so violently that the front canopy broke the back mounts and moved onto the swashplate and got torn. Luckily landed safely, but do NOT try speed runs with the Halo blades, they are 3D blades and worthless on this heli.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
2600 or more depends on what blades I can get. Flew her this pm and she pitched so violently that the front canopy broke the back mounts and moved onto the swashplate and got torn. Luckily landed safely, but do NOT try speed runs with the Halo blades, they are 3D blades and worthless on this heli.
Full "wall" blowout then, I had a couple of those, not very nice... Are there any options at this time? Can it take 600 blades, might be more options there? Which FBL unit where you using?
Old 08-19-2015, 11:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Did get a set of Radix FBL 600mm blades, there is clearance for the tail rotor, so it should work, has not flown it with the Radix blades yet. Using VBar as that is what I use on my Banshee and TDR and it works well on there.

Any blades longer than 600mm from bolt hole to tip will not fit. She is too heavy for the 550 size blades!
Old 08-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I pick up my R5 from the post office tomorrow and have a Scorpion 4525-520 that will run on 12S.

Really disappointed to hear the Halo blades don't work for speed and that you have damaged your fuse due to violent pitching at high speed. With all the videos of the R5 flying at speed available on youtube, what have all those guys done differently?

I have noticed that Gaui has issued a statement warning pilots not to run blade pitch above 14-14.5+ degrees. Were you running above this when you had your problem? And/or is there a blade head speed limit that should be adhered to as well?

Justin P won in his class at IRCHA with the R5 running "about" 135 mph/ 217 kph (from what I remember). I wonder what he was running for blades?

Not doubting your capabilities Vinger, but do you think your choice in FBL unit (or tuning) may have been the issue? I ask since I'm undecided on which FBL I will use in my R5. I have the micro beast and Bav Demon on my bench...both which have done well in the speed arena.

On another note. I thought I was aware of all the forums associated with the R5. I just so happened to trip up on this post yesterday. It would be nice if a moderator would create a R5 category.
Gaui X5 Jive 100 Scorpion 910, Jeti DS-16
john2kx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 12:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Pitch was set at 14 degrees and I did see their warning on the site. Using VBar which has worked really well on my Banshee and TDR. Used similar settings for it that I know will work for speed flying. The VBar is normally good up to 230km/h. Tried Halo blades on my TDR a while back and they were just as bad for speed flying. All the videos of the R5 is not really pushing it and in some videos you can hear the head trying to depart. How they got 135mph out of it is a mystery.

Gaui recommends their version of the VBar and I would assume that is what they used as well. You should get good results with the Demon, but I would recommend other blades. Will test my Radix as soon as I get home again as they are exactly 600mm and will clear the tail by about 12mm.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm flying Rail 606's on mine. Just enough clearance and track really well in fast forward flight. (No pitch up nor poroising thus far)

The Radix should work well for you.

Went with a GAUI mini Vbar at first but not enough channels for retracts. Switched out to Vbar Silverline with Pro firmware and it really grooves.

I'm running 13.8 degrees pitch and only pulling 75 amps at 2600 HS. Guess I better push it harder! (lol)

So far, so good.
RGorham is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Robert,

I saw your naked R5 maiden last night while surfing the net. It caught me by surprise. Met you back in 89 at the Nats. Really glad to see your input here!!

I just picked up mine from the post office yesterday and should start build in a few days. Motor is in hand along with two choices in FBL units (BD3SX and a micro beast). I have heard both a good for speed flying.

I have a new kontronics jive 120 (6v max bec) and no servos as of yet. I have never owned HV servos and really wanted to use the 120 Jive with heat sink and some type of 6 volt servos. Futaba BLS 252s come to mind.

The ESC and servos are what are recommended for the TDR and I would expect they should work in the R5.

I'll go HV if required but want to stay with kontronics for telemetry info via a Jeti Tx.
Gaui X5 Jive 100 Scorpion 910, Jeti DS-16
john2kx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.