Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 230S

Blade 230S Blade 230S Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnCl
  • 1 Post By Psycho_dad
  • 1 Post By Sycorax
  • 2 Post By BrokeDad
  • 2 Post By ic-racer
  • 1 Post By The_Fox
  • 1 Post By vertico

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default V2 Submarine. AKA I went down in a pond...

I guess I'll make my first post with a bang...
Blade 230s V2

I lost orientation while flying inverted and of course the heli found a pond (not saltwater). It was submerged for about 18 hrs before I finally found it.
But hey, I found it!! Everything mechanically is great. Battery wasn't puffed, but I'm hesitant to ever use it again.

After cleaning up the heli (rinsing with fresh water, opening up servos, placing the heli in rice to soak up any water, wd40 on connections to clean them, no obvious corrosion or condensation in the ESC or receiver), then lubing everything up that needed lubing, I finally tried a new battery. I get the first chime when initially plugging in the battery like normal. The servo twitch sound when SAFE is ready takes a really long time (but the swashplate is definitely not level at that point), but I never get the second chime to indicate it's ready. I get zero response from anything on the remote. I did try rebinding and it binds fine.

I'm assuming I at least need a new receiver (BLH1427). I read the ESC usually also is the first to short in that type of situation, but first things first I guess. And yes, I've read that even if stuff functions now, parts (like servos or motors) will likely fail earlier than normal now.

Any advice? (other than don't fly near water) Anyone have a deal on a AR636A receiver?
HoverMe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really am afraid you are screwed.I suggest get a new heli and save that one for parts. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Or you can keep dumping money in that one for the rest of the summer.
HoverMe likes this.
JohnCl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

ouch.... sad to hear your 230s has dropped into a pond.

My advice:
buy a new 230S V2 and keep this one for spare parts (all mechanical parts). I personally would not invest any time nor money in your "drowned" 230S anymore.

If I do the math you will spend less money buying a new one, than repairing your old 230S V2.
HoverMe likes this.
Psycho_dad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2020, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I was starting to come to that conclusion the more reading I've done online... They are 15% off right now too, but I think my wife will further want to kill me after yesterday- I just picked up a barely used 250 CFX and 360 CFX.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I’d take this advice. I harvested my last 230s v2 for similar reason. Bought a new one and kept all the spares (almost a full helis worth).

Makes more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_dad View Post
ouch.... sad to hear your 230s has dropped into a pond.

My advice:
buy a new 230S V2 and keep this one for spare parts (all mechanical parts). I personally would not invest any time nor money in your "drowned" 230S anymore.

If I do the math you will spend less money buying a new one, than repairing your old 230S V2.
HoverMe likes this.
Sycorax is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2020, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like everyone said buy a new one. You have until the end of the month to save 15% off with the SOFO2020 code.
Sycorax and HoverMe like this.
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2020, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Elevator servo failure while flying with floats.

I dried it off quickly and sprayed oil on as many bearings as I could.

Over the course of the next two years, every bearing and all servos eventually failed.

I'm still flying it today because those parts were all easy to replace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Crash 500X 2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	890.2 KB
ID:	869291  
electronjunkie and HoverMe like this.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had that problem of no second set of beeps and it turned out to be the ESC, not the RX. If your RX binds then I suspect it is ok. You might want to try getting a new ESC to try. They are always useful as spares anyway. This said as others say it is a good option to buy new and use the mechanical spares.
Allan114 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2020, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, If You had a second 230S You could try the electronics parts one by one on it.
The Beeps:
When You connect the Battery, You should hear a double Beep. This is when ESC is powered.
After the AR636 FBL/RX unit has done its initial gyro setup, it should move the servos twice. At this time, the dual ESC should be armed, prompting with triple beep each motor, main first, than tail.
As You see, it's a kind of self diagnostics. Check again, and report step by step. Than You will know what to change.

Brushless Motors are not damaged in general by water. Most ESC are protectetd by a clearcoat covering the print and all SMD electronics. AR636 print might be protectetd in the same way.
I would suggest to drawn all bearings, (including complete swashplate) in WD40 or similar, it will suspend any water from them. I would do the same with brushless motors, to recover the motor bearings. Just leave them in over night.
Servo bearings are located in the upper plastic cover.

Good Luck! And get a pair of floats....
HoverMe likes this.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Following up on this thread- I tried my AR636A receiver from a 250 CFX and surprisingly everything fires up just fine on my 230 s v2. However, based on the info here I'm only using the 230 for parts given the high likelihood of failure of the electrical parts (and I needed some parts after crashing the 250 CFX).
Old 08-06-2020, 11:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would do the opposite!
We throw away enough stuff in our disposable society....keep that heli in the air man! Not sitting in a bit waiting for disassembly!

Order a new esc and drop it in
electronjunkie likes this.
vertico is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2020, 06:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Put the heli under a 500W halogen lamp immediately after the dip (as long as its not salt water). Monitor it with an IR temp meter. Try to keep it around 150F-170F. If you have bulk bag of rice, throw some on the heli when doing this. It will help absorb the moisture. Don't let any rice get in the motor. Blow it off w/ canned air afterwards.

Its possible if you didn't do this immediately you now have corrosion problems.

I have a heli with older electronics that I have specifically for flying over water. Its a 6S heli that has taken the plunge many times. I rinse it off with some drinking water afterwards and let it sit under the heat lamp. Heli still flies fine.

Fun story:
I once was working at a PC when about 20 gallons of water, not brown or yellow luckily burst through the ceiling and soaked the powered on PC next to me. I switched the breaker, unplugged it, took it outside on a hot day. Opened it up and the MB was soaked, floppy drives saturated. Boss said just try it, it'll probably be fine.

Yes after being out in the sun a few hours this PC continued to work until it was too old to be usable

Dead heli's flying: Compass 7HVU, 6HVU, Atom 5.5
RIP Compass
electronjunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in