I think I've had it - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > NextD - Stingray 500

NextD - Stingray 500 CJY Stingray 500 Quad Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2015, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I think I've had it

First of all - this message is not being written while my blood still boils after the crash, but rather a thought through summary on my experiences with Stingray 500 - it crashed on July 18, and I'm just writing the message now.

So, the final straw was - the pilot was just hovering, when the quad first did an uncommanded movement, and within about 3 seconds just flipped out of the sky (see the first video at the bottom) - just like it did quite a few times before. To add insult to injury, it refused to shut off and just kept tearing itself to pieces rolling upside down on the asphalt. The clip is silent, too many words were said by all the participants to consider the clip SFW - mind you, it was the maiden flight after another crash just like that.

Post crash inspection revealed that despite our diligent efforts to prevent the rotorheads from slipping on the booms, they slipped again. Not only that, the front boom itself is slipping in the central bracket.

I don't know whether it is the boom turning because of vibration that is causing this problem. I don't know if it is TG-Multi being flaky and not processing something right. I don't know if it is the Next-D ESC not listening to the command to shut it off, or TG-Multi not telling it to. I don't know if R&D builds had the same problems, I suspect they did, for the same problem comes back again and again.

What I do know, however, that I would've swallowed all this, rebuilt it yet again and kept flying *IF* not for all the conversations about Curtis disappearing along with all of his product lines (including, apparently, even the blades - too bad, I liked them a lot).

At this point, I don't know if I even want to rebuild it again, given the fact that the spare parts are disappearing, there'll be definitely no new development on TG-Multi, and basically keeping the Stingray in the air will be just like taking the radiator cap from the old car and replacing all the other parts around it.

And I certainly don't want to give my dollars to CYE, given the treatment we're all getting. I'd rather give them to someone that cares about their customers.

So, still considering the options. Comments welcome. Suicide videos follow.

madeye is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had EXACTLY the same experience (have many similar videos) ... drops from sky without warning tail first -
trashes heads, shafts blade holders, etc on ground with TH on.

Then i had to put it on the shelf, order or make some new parts and let some time pass while waiting parts and rebuilding her.

Now it looks cool on the shelf ... i have moved on ... sad but true - my limit was 6 crashes in a row without my error - now all spare parts are gone with my patience.

TG-Multi is to blame .. i'l wait some time and then maybe try with Naze32 again ... after all it hovered.

So my suggestion would be - Keep it ... but on the top shelf ... someday somebody will come out with better solution - and I will release my 502 drawings so some spares will be available and free.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

mine has sat on my table for the past 1.5 years. I gave up and moved on...I feel an ache in my chest everytime I glance at it.....
Old 09-12-2015, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

I still have one in working condition. I don't fly it very often since I'm so scared to crash it now. Our club is having an event for Model Aviation Day next week, so I'll probably break it out for that. It's going to be heavily loaded with multirotor folks so it's always fun to fly it and show off when all their stuff can do is hover around in boring circles. I just don't push it hard anymore and keep it up higher, so I don't do anything stupid and smack it into the ground. I'm sure one day it will finally eat itself (mine has before) and that will be that.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Still have one too...

I still have a Stingray 500 as well....don't fly it much because of the lack of parts if it kisses the dirt. Kind of a shame because I like the way it flies. I too only take it out on occasion and when I do fly it I do so at least 5 mistakes high...and I suppose when it or I do something unexpected and gravity exerts its force I will sadly sell it to someone else for parts....
Old 09-16-2015, 04:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I almost bought one on ebay used. but I had heard parts were non existent. I email Curtis youblood, or his company, and here is what I got in return. I aksed how much longer it would be and never got a reply . here is what the email I recieved said. Dan <shopmgr@curtisyoungblood.com>
Aug 30

to me
We have not quit making the kit or parts, we are moving some things around internally that have caused delays.
stevespirosezgoin81 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespirosezgoin81 View Post
I almost bought one on ebay used. but I had heard parts were non existent. I email Curtis youblood, or his company, and here is what I got in return. I aksed how much longer it would be and never got a reply . here is what the email I recieved said. Dan <shopmgr@curtisyoungblood.com>
Aug 30

to me
We have not quit making the kit or parts, we are moving some things around internally that have caused delays.
If that's true, and they are smart, they would post some kind of official message on their website and maybe even on Helifreak and RCGroups to manage the rumors. Otherwise the rumor on the street prevails and by the time they do get around to doing anything most of their customers will have moved on.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry ... Not believable (not your post, his response)... CYE has had time to post..... Plenty of time.... Not posting is a calculated move not an oversight. Plus he doesn't go to local fun flies. His team members are non existent.... Cmon man ...Moving stuff around.... I tell you what.... smh
Heli_Jelly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2015, 03:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, it'sBS. I replied back to him, it wasnt CY, and asked how long, and got no response. When I as going to buy the stingray off ebay, i had asked about parts, and the seller said that some parts were supposed to be popping u on ebay zoo, so keep watch for them. I have seen a few parts popping up in the past week.
stevespirosezgoin81 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

So I took it out with me to this Model Aviation Day event at our club this morning and set it out on the table along with all my other stuff not really sure if I would fly it or not. Then this kid walks up, he's maybe 12 and gets all excited..."Dude is that a Stingray 500?" It blew me away that he even knew what it was, but he also knew everything about it and how it worked. There's adults out there who fly every day who don't know what it is or really get why it's a unique model. I had a great time flying it for him. It flew great and the crowd loved it.

So anyways, just thought I'd relate that positive story. I'm glad I didn't leave it at home as a shelf queen and it lives to fly another day.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Regarding continued support on Stingray500

I talked to the guys at CYhobbies last week to ask about parts for the Stingray...He said they are still going to continue making kits and supporting it with parts...
I told him I read on the various forums that the Stingray was discontinued. He said he was aware of those discussions and said they were wrong and they are still "in business"...However...

They were out of booms and he didn't know when they were going to new stock in. He did offer a solution for the boom...Use Rave 450 tail booms (cheaper too at $12.99 for 2 booms)...Just cut them to length and drill the alignment hole for the cases...Not too tough for mechanically adept folks

...as far as belts go, there are suppliers for those belts out there...
places like: https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Catalog

They also have all the pulleys used on the Stingray...Just have to do some measuring and tooth counting to identify the right parts.

Looks like the business has contracted to the point of only supplying parts & kits out of that one store...

If you really like the Stingray, support that store and give them reason to continue supporting the product...Actually call the store and let the manager know you like the Stingray and will be a customer for parts, etc...

I don't know if Curtis still owns it or sold it to these guys...but it is their business to gain or lose...If enough folks are willing to buy something, it's hard to ignore a profit opportunity.

Maybe I'm just trying to put a positive spin on this stuff...
ChrisW
ChrisW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you ever look into static build up ????

Just picked up a stingray ,and will be bonding the frame and rotor pulleys.

I've read pure silicone lube will not attack the belts and help eliminate static build up.

Could the fall from the sky be due to brown out ???

Whose radio are you using ????
helibobb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibobb View Post
Did you ever look into static build up ????

Just picked up a stingray ,and will be bonding the frame and rotor pulleys.

I've read pure silicone lube will not attack the belts and help eliminate static build up.
Done that on all the birds, of course.

Quote:
Could the fall from the sky be due to brown out ???
Unlikely, no low voltage alarms, nor any indication thereof in the logs.

Quote:
Whose radio are you using ????
First Spektrum, now Jeti - same thing. I don't think it's the radio - more likely, mechanical design causing excessive vibration, followed by TG-Multi being confused and losing orientation.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

How bout vibration during bind @ spoolup ???

Had the very problem with my 100s ,with a spektrum sattelite.

now I'm paranoid....not that I wasnt allready LOL
Old 09-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
How bout vibration during bind @ spoolup ???

Had the very problem with my 100s ,with a spektrum sattelite.
The vibration will affect the FBL, not the radio.

Quote:
now I'm paranoid....not that I wasnt allready LOL
If you're not paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out there to get you
Old 09-30-2015, 03:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

with the 100s ,even the slightest movement (wind)while binding or spooling ,causes sezures.

My main problem with the sattelite set up is if there is loss of signal from the tx ,the copter does exactly what you are describing with the stingray.

I'm thinking ,bad bind (vibrations),then bad failsafe (kanipshonfit).

Obviously not EVERYONE has the problem.

Have you tryed a test stand????
Old 10-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

have you seen this thread ???
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=676616

I'm glad I did ,looks like I'll have to read everything on here now.....and take notes.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Call me a glutton for punishment, or a stubborn curmudgeon, or something. I've decided to resurrect my Stingray once again. *Now* I'm pretty sure the last several failures were due to a faulty ESC (or its BEC). This will be not too far from a complete rebuild, in as much as I will need to start assembly almost from the beginning. All 3 booms broke or bent, main shaft bearings are crunchy, all 4 rotor shafts bent. I hae a handful of other bearings on the way, too. Going to use a different ESC and a separate BEC this time. Haven't tested servos yet, either.

I keep wanting to like this machine, but I've decided I will at the least not allow it to beat me.

Dave
Old 11-16-2015, 07:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancockdw View Post
*Now* I'm pretty sure the last several failures were due to a faulty ESC (or its BEC)
Is it also the stock Stingray Next-D ESC?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yep, that's the one. AKA Hobbywing?

I'll probably use an Align 70A or an older CC Phoenix 80A I have lying around.

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.